Gaming Driver conflict problem?

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
When I first installed Vista on this machine the wirelss card would work fine for 5 mins or so and then give me limited connectivity to the router. Originally I thought it was cos I was using the bios hack as the same card worked flawlessly in XP. I managed to get hold of another wireless card, installed it and apart from a signal about half the strength of the other card it works flawlessly, no limited connectivity problems at all.

I kinda get the feeling it might be a driver conflict problem of some kind with the vista drivers. The original card that I was using was a TP-Link card with a Realtek chipset and the new card I'm using is a cheap generic Chinese card with a Marvell Libertas chipset. The reason I'm suspecting it might be a driver conflict is because the onboard LAN is a Realtek chipset. As soon as I plug the Realtek based wireless card in it causes no end of limited connectivity problems.

Anyone have any ideas? Could it be a hardware conflict maybe or is it a driver problem? I've tried using the drivers that came with the TP-Link card and the generic Vista drivers both with the exact same result. The Realtek based card has no problems whatsoever in XP, just under Vista. I'd really like to go back to using the Realtek based wireless card because it has a much better signal strength.

Athlon-pv

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I dont have a website bookmarked that are specialized in these kind of problems.

I do know that certain cards are stronger (use more power) then others. Not to sure about where to go for propper drivers for Vista/W7.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I've asked on a couple of the PC help forums about the problem but all they could advise me was to do the stuff generally advised for limited connectivity problems. I'm more than happy to buy a new card but if I buy another card I'm worried it'll turn out to be a RealTek chipset and the same problem will happen.

Can anyone recommend a good wireless card for around 10-15 quid that's non-RealTek based?

Athlon-pv

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That wont do either. lemme check google but im sure that sometimes different manufacteror's use different scheme's for feeding amps to the Antenna part even differs per hardware revision.

Some cards do have the technical specs but never use max power even tho it is listed as such.

It seems i was wrong
smile.gif

i do have a site which is kinda specialized
smile.gif

ask on the forums there they should be able to get you closer to your goal:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: