Drive swap possible?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by acturus, Jan 19, 2010.

Jan 19, 2010

Drive swap possible? by acturus at 11:50 PM (827 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. acturus
    OP

Newcomer acturus Advanced Member

United States
    1. my friend's wii started spitting out the discs after a long period of a noisy inconsistent drive. (it literally spits them onto the floor).
    2. i have a wii that i softmodded (4.2), i then installed a bad wad which bricked it.
    my question is: can i take the dvd drive from my bricked wii and replace his to fix the problem? they are both older wiis and his is not modded in any way and as far as we can tell, the dvd drive is the only problem

2. afnuke

Member afnuke GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yes you can swap them if they are older wii's, Im not sure about swapping with the new drive that doesnt do backups(havent seen one yet) Canada mods has some very good videos on opening up the wii and dont forget you need a triwing screwdriver. One of mine has a broken drive and I just switched to usb loading.....thats what I recommend he does, its easy to do, looks great, and Im pretty sure that a hard drive has a lot longer life span than the cheap dvd drives N uses.

3. acturus
    OP

Newcomer acturus Advanced Member

United States
    you're probably right, he should use usb loading, but for some odd reason he won't let me mod his wii, but he'll will let me open it up, and switch out parts (which i've only done twice before, so i have have the triwing already)

4. bazamuffin

Member bazamuffin RESIDENT DILF

United Kingdom
    Fuck it, tell him you have to do some shit in order to get the drive swapped. Just place the software on there and tell him its there just in case. If he fucks up this one, tell him to spin if he asks for help