Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hey All,

This is the first time I ever had a problem with a disc. I just bought this console brand new 2 weeks ago and have tried about 20-30 backups with no problem. Today I burnt SSBB (U) to a Memorex DL disc but got the "Unable to read disc". The drive isn't even spinning up to read it.

Should I try doing the layerbreak fix?

ps. I live in a smoke free home and make sure there is never any dust or dirt on my discs before I put them in.

shadow_cruiser

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
antivirus6613 said:
What region is your wii?

Check your burn speed, your image file and your wiikey firmware.

Region is NTSC. My burn speed was 2.4x, image file used was the WIZARD release and its not a wiikey, D2CKey.

I just don't get it, brand new out of the box Wii can't read dual layers??. I've burnt many dual layer movies before so its no problem with my burner

notfrostyjosh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
use imgburn and set the layerbreak to 2084960 under tools - settings - write and then its on the top right

my first burn didnt work but the second did when i specified the break

antivirus6613

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have read about different types of D2Ckeys so maybe it is your type ( launch chip or later on). Make sure you set layer break, the wiikey does not need I think all other chips do, and burn slow on good media such as verbatim 2.4x dvd+r DL.

Update is fine with all chips ATM.

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ouch, that sucks man. Check your connections to your chip, so far any official Wii system update has yet to give the general population any problems with their modchips.

ben_r_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tomobobo said:
Ouch, that sucks man. Check your connections to your chip, so far any official Wii system update has yet to give the general population any problems with their modchips.
Yea Im going to have too. Everything was working fine before...

shadow_cruiser

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I was able to do the update and create a save file and then it went to a white screen. After the white screen, it now won't recognize any DL smash bros disc. My other backups work perfect. I've burnt 3 copies of Super Smash.

One with layerbreak
One just normal
One with 1x burn

Still no go. Sigh, I guess I will have to send mine in. Before I do, I'm gonna go out and try verbatim media. I've been using Memorex

piepants

Trophies
Website
itspudding.com
XP
Country
shadow_cruiser said:
Hey All,

This is the first time I ever had a problem with a disc. I just bought this console brand new 2 weeks ago and have tried about 20-30 backups with no problem. Today I burnt SSBB (U) to a Memorex DL disc but got the "Unable to read disc". The drive isn't even spinning up to read it.

Should I try doing the layerbreak fix?

ps. I live in a smoke free home and make sure there is never any dust or dirt on my discs before I put them in.

Exactly the same problem here. I suspect cheap discs are the cause. If my Verbatims don't work, I'll be pulling the thing apart to clean the laser and adjust the laser power. Will post back here with results later.
smile.gif

Layer break won't make any difference if it's dying with "Unable to read disc". I burnt 2 discs (one with layerbreak, one without) and neither would read. You know you've got layer break problems if you get the green screen errors in-game afaik.

Edit: here's a video of what mine does when I use the Imation discs: http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwR5V_zizzw

TaMs

Randomizer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
There was some random problems with DC2key when the jpn version came out. white screen etc. random.
Could be just wii with bad laser or something.

shadow_cruiser

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
piepants said:
Edit: here's a video of what mine does when I use the Imation discs: http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwR5V_zizzw

I have the exact same error. D2CKey doesn't like Memorex discs either. I will try some Ridata or Verbatim discs today

QUOTE(ben_r_ @ Mar 11 2008, 03:09 PM) Tried burned games again this morning including SSBB and all worked fine... Dont know...

Tried SSBB for about an hour this morning before work, still a no go. I'm glad it worked for you.

gshock

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This may help D2CKey people. I tested a few methods of burning SSBB and here were the results. All were burned @ 2.4x.

Cheap DVD+R DL Media:
- 4/6 attempts failed the burning process with an illegal instruction error, CRC check or finalise disc errors.

- 2/6 succeeded the burning process. 1 was burned in 'Incremental Mode' which can be set in the ImgBurn v2.4 settings. The other was in DAO mode.

- Both ran just fine on the Wii until the point where you are asked to create a save file. After that there was a white screen ( on both disks ) and nothing else happened. I left it for an hour or so and still nothing so I assume these disks are coasters.

Fujifilm 8.5GB DVD+R Dual Layer:

- 2/2 succeeded. Both had a smoother burning process then the cheaper brand media, and no high pitched noises from the DVD burner until completion. Both were burned in DAO mode, which is the default in ImgBurn v2.4.0.

- One was burned with automatic layer break calculation. The other with a manual layer break @ 2084960.

- The one with an automatic layer break had the same white screen symptoms as the cheaper disks. The one with the manual layer break worked and it plays as it should.

So, I think it's safe to say that the manual layer break @ 2084960 is a must for D2CKey & NTSC Wii.

I also really recommend getting a higher quality brand media. The el-cheapo brand had a lot of clicking and spinning sounds when booting even the successful burns, while the Fugii media reads like a retail disk ( in terms of the noise coming out of the Wii the drive ).

Chances are you can probably get it working with a cheaper media but you might get several coasters before a working disk, probably depends on on your burner. Just remember to set that manual layer break.

shadow_cruiser

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
WOWWWW!. I can't thank you enough gshock. I went out and bought a 15 pack of Fujifilm DVD's today for $15 (on sale at Futureshop).

I burned at 2.4x with IMGBurn and set the layer break, as soon as I popped the disc in, the drive spun up and read it automatically. WHAT A RELIEF!

I've already burnt 4/4 of DVD's and all have been flawless with the layerbreak set.

I've learnt my lesson, never ever buy Memorex again!

Frankdj

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have the same problem with the PAL D2CKEY where it says "Unable to read the disk".
I burned it on a Philips 2,4x DVD+R... so now I am going to try the Verbatims.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: He's right behind me, isn't he? +1