Dressing 'emo' in Iraq is getting teens killed

smile72

NewsBot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
​Fourteen Iraqi youths have reportedly been stoned or beaten to death in the last month for dressing "emo." Shiite militias in Baghdad have labeled the teen trend "Satanism," and

Reuters reports
leaflets have been distributed targeting specific teens and promising "We are the Brigades of Anger. We warn you, if you do not get back to sanity and the right path, you will be killed." The interior ministry denies there is any connection between the violence and the rise of the trendy style of dressing.

Source:http://now.msn.com/now/0310-emo-iraqi-kids.aspx

I don't understand why someone would kill over this.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Welcome to the Middle East, where the dress code is strict. You don't understand it because you're not one of those people - in their society it could be considered an insult to tradition or indecensy. Not that killing or stoning people is the right reaction, but hey - those are their standards, they have to work to change them into more sensible ones.

Reactions: 2 people

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
​Fourteen Iraqi youths have reportedly been stoned or beaten to death in the last month for dressing "emo." Shiite militias in Baghdad have labeled the teen trend "Satanism," and​
Reuters reports
leaflets have been distributed targeting specific teens and promising "We are the Brigades of Anger. We warn you, if you do not get back to sanity and the right path, you will be killed." The interior ministry denies there is any connection between the violence and the rise of the trendy style of dressing.

Source:http://now.msn.com/n...iraqi-kids.aspx

I don't understand why someone would kill over this.

It's right wing religious ideology, by its very nature it's beyond the understanding of normal folk.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So the moral of this story is, living in Iraq and doing anything they don't like will get you killed.
They know they're doing something that is socially unacceptable, they're fully aware of the possible consequences. I'm not saying this is "right", I'm saying that this is the world they live in and they need to take that into account. Drinking a beer with your mates in the middle of the street can get you a fine where you live, walking around wearing emo clothes can get you a stone in the face in Iraq. Different place, different rules.

It's right wing religious ideology, by its very nature it's beyond the understanding of normal folk.
We should probably add the word "extremist" to the bunch, not every right-wing religious person is prone to violence or mentally challenged.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I wonder if anyone is actually surprised by this.
I mean you gotta know you're gonna get your ass beat to death for something like this in iraq.

Rockhoundhigh

Man with a mission
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They don't screw around over there, as long as it's justified by being in the religious right they don't care how immorally wrong their actions actually are, figures they can justify anything by putting a divine curtain over it.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sheesh, I really need to STFU, don't I? Perhaps if our alleged president didn't have to apologize to every Middle-Eastern country we "offend", or maybe if we hadn't gotten entangled with country with such an unstable regime, a lot of us would be better off. Why Nobama hasn't pulled the rest of the troops from the Middle East, I'll never know.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
alleged president

I'm pretty sure he is our president since we, y'know, voted for him and elected him to office. Don't know what you were trying to do with that.

And he's begun massive pullouts from the Middle East anyway and he certainly didn't start this war. I really hate getting into political issues but you really need a fact check.

smile72

NewsBot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sheesh, I really need to STFU, don't I? Perhaps if our alleged president didn't have to apologize to every Middle-Eastern country we "offend", or maybe if we hadn't gotten entangled with country with such an unstable regime, a lot of us would be better off. Why Nobama hasn't pulled the rest of the troops from the Middle East, I'll never know.
Too much Fox News huh????

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, I haven't been watching Fox news. Can't I voice an opinion without being verbally raped? I would elaborate further on what I mean by alleged, but seeing as I'm already already in deep sh** here, I won't. Iran is a lost cause. If I knew I was going to be flayed alive, I might have told myself to sod off.

smile72

NewsBot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
No, I haven't been watching Fox news. Can't I voice an opinion without people castrating me while being anal raped?
Bit extreme aren't we, and I will say this your opinion is factually incorrect. He is our president regardless of what you say he won by nearly 200 electoral vote (192).

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, I haven't been watching Fox news. Can't I voice an opinion without people castrating me while being anal raped?

Well I wasn't necessarily doing... that, I was just pointing out clear flaws in your statement. You can have the opinion that we shouldn't do anything about Iraq but doubting the authenticity of our president is clearly wrong.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse