Hacking DRE's A Thing Of The Past?

richardfong

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So after reading a lot about the Wiinja and the wiikey and the problems that have been encountered on many wiis with the recent modchips it now seems as though the V1 Wiinja chips are the culprit and that DRE's for the wiinja should hopefully be a thing of the past.. Ive heard good reports from V2 of the chip and im thinking if the wiikey is claiming that it "supports DVD-R / true DVD+R and +RW support with no bitsetting required" that DRE's may actually be extinct for the time being..

I was initially put off by the modchips but im definatley starting to reconsider.. what do you guys think? Have interpreted things incorrectly or is that about right? Just not sure whether to rush in an get a chip now..

Cheers

Phunt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I spoke to the guys at futura today who have the Wiinja V2 in stock and they said that they have tested it and they are getting zero DRE's with wii's that previously gave them and also reports from their Spanish customers are also good.
smile.gif

Stokesy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I was always under the impression that the discs you are using are more of a factor towards DRE's than the chip you are using.
If all the chip is doing is authenticating the disc, would the chip even be used after you boot the game, or does the Wii do continual checks?

Phunt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I was always under the impression that the discs you are using are more of a factor towards DRE's than the chip you are using.
If all the chip is doing is authenticating the disc, would the chip even be used after you boot the game, or does the Wii do continual checks?

see HERE for a good explanation. I dont know if the guy is right but if he is then it doesnt really matter which media or burner or software you use to a certain extent.

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

see HERE for a good explanation. I dont know if the guy is right but if he is then it doesnt really matter which media or burner or software you use to a certain extent.

Neat findings, perhaps the staff here should try those scenarios with the wiininja they got to get an idea how these findings hold up.

brocher

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a v1 Wiinja and I get plenty DRE errors on some games, none on others. Strange thing is, there is nothing wrong with the way the disc is burned, as I get the DRE message, take the disc out, put it in again, and it works fine.

If that part of the disc had an error, putting it in again would give another DRE, but it works for a time, then in and out again, works for a few minutes again, etc.

Doesn't stop me using backups, but it sure is annoying to have to continually take the disc in and out. Would definitely swap it out for a v2 if they are offered free swap - if not a free swap I'll hold a couple of months and see which way the wind blows.

kdanarch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to burn fast and slow to get DREs until I read somewhere that the Wii dvd-drive is 6x.

Taking my knowledge of burning discs for other systems (you generally want to burn at the speed it will be read) I started burning all my GC/Wii discs at 6x.

I've used Imation DVD+R, Memorex DVD-R, and (MFID: TYG02) Ultran Silver cheapo DVD-Rs...

All run perfectly with no DRE, burned steadily at 6x.

I got the Ultran silvers really really cheap here, for those of you who plan on filling spindles. Be warned: the media's cheap, real cheap, so don't get these unless you have a relatively new burner.

It shouldn't set back your wallet too much to buy a new burner every 6 months, and I prefer Lite-ON for being cheap and efficient. I've found this is the best way to go.

Here's a recent affordable burner here.

Nightstalker

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I used to burn fast and slow to get DREs until I read somewhere that the Wii dvd-drive is 6x.

Taking my knowledge of burning discs for other systems (you generally want to burn at the speed it will be read) I started burning all my GC/Wii discs at 6x.

I've used Imation DVD+R, Memorex DVD-R, and (MFID: TYG02) Ultran Silver cheapo DVD-Rs...

All run perfectly with no DRE, burned steadily at 6x.
Thanks for the info! More people should know this.

TaMs

Randomizer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I have V1 wiinja, doesnt give DRE's if you use quality dvd's. And burn them on "right speed" or atleast mine didnt work when i burned with 8x but worked when i tried with 4x

kdanarch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have V1 wiinja, doesnt give DRE's if you use quality dvd's. And burn them on "right speed" or atleast mine didnt work when i burned with 8x but worked when i tried with 4x

I think it's also worth noting, when trying to figure out what's causing DREs is to consider what method your burner uses to burn a dvd. I'd imagine CLV would be the best option in this scenario, held solid at a manageable speed. (I'd say no greater than 4x or 6x)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn