DRE's A Thing Of The Past?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by richardfong, Feb 19, 2007.

Feb 19, 2007

DRE's A Thing Of The Past? by richardfong at 8:18 PM (2,751 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. richardfong
    OP

Newcomer richardfong Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    So after reading a lot about the Wiinja and the wiikey and the problems that have been encountered on many wiis with the recent modchips it now seems as though the V1 Wiinja chips are the culprit and that DRE's for the wiinja should hopefully be a thing of the past.. Ive heard good reports from V2 of the chip and im thinking if the wiikey is claiming that it "supports DVD-R / true DVD+R and +RW support with no bitsetting required" that DRE's may actually be extinct for the time being..

I was initially put off by the modchips but im definatley starting to reconsider.. what do you guys think? Have interpreted things incorrectly or is that about right? Just not sure whether to rush in an get a chip now..

Cheers

2. Hooya

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Wait for a review of Wiikey. Once that's out you can pick between the current "big three"

Only time will tell when it comes to DREs.

3. shtonkalot

Member shtonkalot Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!

Australia
    I have a V1 Wiinja with no DRE problems.
    Make of it what you will.

4. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Does this mean that we are gonna "Forget about Dre"?

*Gets coat*

5. xiaNaix

Member xiaNaix GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Me too.

6. Phunt

Newcomer Phunt Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    I spoke to the guys at futura today who have the Wiinja V2 in stock and they said that they have tested it and they are getting zero DRE's with wii's that previously gave them and also reports from their Spanish customers are also good. [​IMG]

7. Stokesy

Newcomer Stokesy Member

Australia
    I was always under the impression that the discs you are using are more of a factor towards DRE's than the chip you are using.
    If all the chip is doing is authenticating the disc, would the chip even be used after you boot the game, or does the Wii do continual checks?

8. cornaljoe

Member cornaljoe GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    So does DRE stand for Disk Read Error?

9. Phunt

Newcomer Phunt Advanced Member

United Kingdom

see HERE for a good explanation. I dont know if the guy is right but if he is then it doesnt really matter which media or burner or software you use to a certain extent.

10. shtonkalot

Member shtonkalot Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!

Australia
    100% correct.
    If the Wii can't read the disc at all or even a part of it you have a DRE.

11. tama_mog

Member tama_mog Kupo

United States
    Neat findings, perhaps the staff here should try those scenarios with the wiininja they got to get an idea how these findings hold up.

12. brocher

Newcomer brocher Member

United Kingdom
    I have a v1 Wiinja and I get plenty DRE errors on some games, none on others. Strange thing is, there is nothing wrong with the way the disc is burned, as I get the DRE message, take the disc out, put it in again, and it works fine.

If that part of the disc had an error, putting it in again would give another DRE, but it works for a time, then in and out again, works for a few minutes again, etc.

Doesn't stop me using backups, but it sure is annoying to have to continually take the disc in and out. Would definitely swap it out for a v2 if they are offered free swap - if not a free swap I'll hold a couple of months and see which way the wind blows.

13. kdanarch

Newcomer kdanarch Advanced Member

United States
    I used to burn fast and slow to get DREs until I read somewhere that the Wii dvd-drive is 6x.

Taking my knowledge of burning discs for other systems (you generally want to burn at the speed it will be read) I started burning all my GC/Wii discs at 6x.

I've used Imation DVD+R, Memorex DVD-R, and (MFID: TYG02) Ultran Silver cheapo DVD-Rs...

All run perfectly with no DRE, burned steadily at 6x.

I got the Ultran silvers really really cheap here, for those of you who plan on filling spindles. Be warned: the media's cheap, real cheap, so don't get these unless you have a relatively new burner.

It shouldn't set back your wallet too much to buy a new burner every 6 months, and I prefer Lite-ON for being cheap and efficient. I've found this is the best way to go.

Here's a recent affordable burner here.

14. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT: WTF?!?

15. Nightstalker

Member Nightstalker GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Thanks for the info! More people should know this.

16. kdanarch

United States
    I know it sounds crackheaded, but regardless of traditional burn quality, the 6x burns outperformed the 4x.

I use IMGBurn, BTW.

And thanks to this forum for introducing me to it.

IMGBurn ftw! [​IMG]

17. TaMs

Member TaMs Randomizer

Finland
    I have V1 wiinja, doesnt give DRE's if you use quality dvd's. And burn them on "right speed" or atleast mine didnt work when i burned with 8x but worked when i tried with 4x

18. kdanarch

United States
    I think it's also worth noting, when trying to figure out what's causing DREs is to consider what method your burner uses to burn a dvd. I'd imagine CLV would be the best option in this scenario, held solid at a manageable speed. (I'd say no greater than 4x or 6x)