Dreamcast VMU?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by GeekyGuy, Jul 25, 2007.

Jul 25, 2007

Dreamcast VMU? by GeekyGuy at 4:14 PM (1,438 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. GeekyGuy
    OP

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    I can't say I'm familiar with what the Dreamcast VMU was all about, except that it seems to have been some type of storage device that was used alongside the Dreamcast gaming system. I see that there's an emulator for the DS -- the VirtuaMUnstaz DS -- which is supposed to emulate the VMU. It can't play Dreamcast games, I'm sure, so what function on the DS does it serve?

Thanks

2. crafton48

Member crafton48 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom

some games had the option to download minigames to the VMU, like the Cao (tamagotchi type game) in sonic adventure.

3. GameGeezer

Member GameGeezer GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The VMU has its own black and white lcd screen. Some games came with mini-games that you could upload to the vmu and play on the vmu directly sort of like a little gamboy. The emulator you speak of allows you to play the minigames on your television via the dreamcast. Playing games on the vmu is very limited and the battery that powers the vmu lasts for about a half an hour.

The functional use of the VMU was to act as a memory card for in game saves. It works in this way whether it has a battery or not.

4. GeekyGuy
    OP

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    Thanks for the replies, guys.