OP
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
Hi guys!

I just moded my dreamcast, i made internal sd card reader mod, and downloaded dreamchell sd card files and burned dreamshell onto CD, it boots up, but before i can select SD card it shows me this:

1aprqPh.jpg

What does this mean?
Can yoh help me run games of of my SD card please?

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
OP
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
Good tutorial.

Try using another, (don't use SDHC!) and try another type of
format? (like FAT32 or NTFS?) I'd check the connections or the ribbons too.
Oh, i posted to the wrong sextion didnt i?
Oh well, im so tired, i worked on this the whole day i didnt saw what i was doing.

Anyway...
The dreamshell dont seems to show the sd and led turns off when i try. Im using regular kingston sd card 2gb. Can you tell me folder structure please, and alsi, do i need tk boot frim cd all the time?

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
OP
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
That counter is probably supposed to say bytes.
Still, its 2GB card... any suggestion on question?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Good tutorial in the good sextion.
Never mind that. Can you help me or not?
Ill ask mods to move it to correct one...

Good tutorial.

Try using another, (don't use SDHC!) and try another type of
format? (like FAT32 or NTFS?) I'd check the connections or the ribbons too.
None work, none formating option

TheZoc

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hey! I don't want you to do anything! :P

If you wanna do a test, since I see an error about MBR (Which stands for Master Boot Record), you can check if your SD card has a MBR style or a GPT style partitions.

To do that, you can use one of the many tools available to check and/or convert.

Please note, that you will probably lose all the data on the SD card when converting, so, make sure to back it up first ;)

Reactions: Metoroid0

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
OP
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
Hey! I don't want you to do anything! :P

If you wanna do a test, since I see an error about MBR (Which stands for Master Boot Record), you can check if your SD card has a MBR style or a GPT style partitions.

To do that, you can use one of the many tools available to check and/or convert.

Please note, that you will probably lose all the data on the SD card when converting, so, make sure to back it up first ;)
No im just asking.
I see.. ok ill try that.

EthanAddict

An investment to nothingness
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
Antarctica
You will need to reformat the SD's card table as MBR, as it might be GTP

*Note, if you select the wrong disk, you are very likely to follow the procedure on that wrong disk, and it will have undesirable effects(destroy all data on that disk)
And I am not held liable if you had bad luck

1) Backup the files you have on the SD card, if you find them necessary
1) Flash GParted in a USB stick, as mentioned in the link https://gparted.org/livecd.php
2) Put your SD card to your PC
3) Boot your USB drive with GParted
4) Locate your SD card in GParted(probably /dev/sdb or similar)
5) Select "Device"->"Create Partition Table"
6) Select "MBR" in the dialog
7) Apply your changes

Also, a FAT16 partition might be required for DreamShell to work(I am not sure), so create it and put all the files needed(those you had there before)

Reactions: zfreeman

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
OP
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
You will need to reformat the SD's card table as MBR, as it might be GTP

*Note, if you select the wrong disk, you are very likely to follow the procedure on that wrong disk, and it will have undesirable effects(destroy all data on that disk)
And I am not held liable if you had bad luck

1) Backup the files you have on the SD card, if you find them necessary
1) Flash GParted in a USB stick, as mentioned in the link https://gparted.org/livecd.php
2) Put your SD card to your PC
3) Boot your USB drive with GParted
4) Locate your SD card in GParted(probably /dev/sdb or similar)
5) Select "Device"->"Create Partition Table"
6) Select "MBR" in the dialog
7) Apply your changes

Also, a FAT16 partition might be required for DreamShell to work(I am not sure), so create it and put all the files needed(those you had there before)
I must ask... Did you personally tried this, and do you have SD modded Dreamcast?

Also, why to i need USB stick?

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I did SD modded a dreamcast years ago. I added VGA,external A/V cables and 3'5 headphone jack support.

This was... 5 years ago.

I remember using a 2GB card, I used FAT (dunno if FAT32 or FAT16), and copied some files related to dreamshell, as I used Windows 7 that time, so it was FAT.

You use a boot CD to load the menu you already have, and the SD should be detected right away.

I think the SD wiring was required to be short cables, and bad solder could cause SD read issues. I think the card size detected in your screen is wrong, so you must re-check the soldering work.

I would check the wires and soldering in between SD and Dreamcast serial port.

edit: that or use older 2GB (micro sd + adapter) cards, to see if the card capacity is detected correctly.

Also you can try any dreamshell from 2012 as I guarantee it worked with SD mod. I think new dreamshell has some issues reading older cards (while 4GB+ cards reading fine).

Last edited by Coto,

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
OP
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
I did SD modded a dreamcast years ago. I added VGA,external A/V cables and 3'5 headphone jack support.

This was... 5 years ago.

I remember using a 2GB card, I used FAT (dunno if FAT32 or FAT16), and copied some files related to dreamshell, as I used Windows 7 that time, so it was FAT.

You use a boot CD to load the menu you already have, and the SD should be detected right away.

I think the SD wiring was required to be short cables, and bad solder could cause SD read issues. I think the card size detected in your screen is wrong, so you must re-check the soldering work.

I would check the wires and soldering in between SD and Dreamcast serial port.

edit: that or use older 2GB (micro sd + adapter) cards, to see if the card capacity is detected correctly.

Also you can try any dreamshell from 2012 as I guarantee it worked with SD mod. I think new dreamshell has some issues reading older cards (while 4GB+ cards reading fine).

Ok so...i de-soldered old wires from mother board, and soldered new ones, a bit thicker (older ones where from ATA flat cable) i used USB cable wires that goes inside of PC casing this time. I figured if it was good for usb, it would be good for Dreamcast.
Anyway, this time i made SURE that soldering is correct and that there are no wires touching each-other.
I also put hot glue on free part of motherboard to hold wires in place and the wires are long as needed...i got them under power suply, behind the GD-rom, and above modem, thats where my PCB stands.

Now i tried Kingston SD HC 16GB (FAT32) card, and i put files on it, and i booted latest dreamshell boot loader, and this time i saw correct size of 16GB but than screen froze i turn off than ON again and tried 2GB card to make sure, and same error again, as last time..than i returned 16GB card, and again, same error......

I will change wires that goes from sd reader PCB to Card slot (they use flat cable i didnt changed that...) but it was strange, for moment i thought thats it....

No, it is from my experience and knowledge with using GParted

USB stick is needed to boot GParted, if you don't have a Linux distro with it installed
Linux? Why do i need Linux? I dont by the way, i use Windows 7

Check if the SD card was initialized as GPT. IF it was, re-initialize it as MBR :)
It apeares that my FAT32 sd card IS MBR...

Reactions: TheZoc and Coto

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
You are almost there!

Well how about before re-re-soldering you use a 2012 dreamshell iso (burn to CD), and use any 2GB card? (I can't recall if I used a 2GB or a 4GB SDHC) but I think other users had problems as well running latest dreamshell.

If you have an old bootloader that works, you could try old and new cards. If at least one of them works, then you know who to blame (latest dreamshell)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse