Ratmando

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

I've been looking for a '2013' way of burning my Dreamcast backups.

The originals play fine, but when I play a burned backup, the console randomly reboots.

I used this guide here to burn my images in IMGburn:

http://theisozone.com/tutorials/dreamcast/burning-and-backup/dreamcast-burning-cdi-2012-style/

I am using Verbatim CD-R and burning at 16x.

What other method is recommended in 2013? Last time I had to use Disc Juggler and it was a nightmare to use. Would prefer to use IMGburn if possible (perhaps I need to change a setting or something).

Win8 PC.

Thanks.

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'm using that same method and everything has worked fine, using cheap Imation discs (its what work has in the stationary cupboard).

The console just rebooting doesnt sound good, does it occur with multiple games/CDR types?
Does it kick you back to the main menu with a message or actually reboot?

Might be worth trying the same burns in friends dreamcast, could be the console rather than the discs.

Ratmando

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have originals too and it doesn't reboot with them so assumed it was because of a bad burn.

It reboots to the 'Dreamcast logo screen'. Then the game starts up again.

The console has been unused for many years, so it might need cleaning or something.

Ratmando

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Convinced this is a bad burn now.

Played some older burns (on the same type of disc) that I made with disc juggler a couple of years ago and they work perfectly.

Perhaps it is that particular burn, game, disc or more likely...the new IMGburn burning method.

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
As I said, I've burned many (20+) games using that exact download (well, the additional files, I already had that version of imgburn installed) with no problems.
All that were meant to selfboot did so also.

From a quick google there are many possible causes, if you're sure that its imgburn then I guess stick to DJ.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If the console restarts, it's either a bad dump or the lens is dirty/worn out. In the case of the latter, try gently cleaning the lens with a q-tip and some high-proof alcohol. If that fails, you'll need a replacement. If it's a bad dump, you'll just need to acquire another one.

As for burning tips, always burn at the lowest possible speed for your burner (preferably 4X) and do your best to use only clean dumps.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: