Dreamcast. How to hack it.

hullo8d

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't need to do anything all you need is some backups that self boot put them in your Dreamcast then just turn it on.

roguetrip

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No modchip, as the system can read CD-R's just fine, if not there is a pot I believe you can tweak.

There are two main ways

older way: Utopia Bootloader games. You put in the Boot loader disc, wait a few seconds till it says put your game in. Then put in the burned game you want to play. Usually images that are .nrg (nero), .cue/.bin (Alcohol 120%/IMGburn). These are non self booting disc hence the use of a bootloader.

Newer way, Selfboot games, just burn'em and play'em. Usually a .cdi format that can be burned by discjuggler or bootdreams (I prefer bootdreams in CDRecord mode).

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do you think the system never did as well as it could have?

A ton of people, upon hearing this, never bought games again.

thebsharp

Why'd you have to go and Gunt my fries?
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sega did eventually release a DC that could not read CD-Rs but it was too little too late.

gisel213

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thebsharp said:
Sega did eventually release a DC that could not read CD-Rs but it was too little too late.

No it blocked the mil-cd format but if u use bin2boot and create a backup that is data/data
instead of audio/data it would work.....

hullo8d

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your planning to get a dreamcast make sure the the Manufacturing date isn't between Oct. 2000 - Dec. 2000 those are supposedly the DCs which block MIL-CDs

thebsharp

Why'd you have to go and Gunt my fries?
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gisel213 said:
thebsharp said:

No it blocked the mil-cd format but if u use bin2boot and create a backup that is data/data
instead of audio/data it would work.....

sorry, my mistake
blush.gif

either way, as was said, avoid a DC from those dates.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
HOW ABOUT A FRIGGING QUESTION MARK IN THE TITLE OR EVEN THE PROVIDED SPACE FOR THE SUB-TITLE SO THAT PEOPLE WILL UNDERSTAND THAT YOU SEEK AN ANSWER AND ARE NOT PROVIDING SOME NEW WAY TO HACK A DREAMCAST ?

ALL IT TAKES IT'S A QUESTION MARK, AND I WILL DECIDE IF TO HELP OR STAY AWAY FROM THE TOPIC. HOW DIFFICULT IT IS ?

Sorry for the rant, but lately I've been tricked several times onto topics with misleading titles, and I'm getting sick of it.
What a waste of a post.

The Pi

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Arm73 said:
HOW ABOUT A FRIGGING QUESTION MARK IN THE TITLE OR EVEN THE PROVIDED SPACE FOR THE SUB-TITLE SO THAT PEOPLE WILL UNDERSTAND THAT YOU SEEK AN ANSWER AND ARE NOT PROVIDING SOME NEW WAY TO HACK A DREAMCAST ?

ALL IT TAKES IT'S A QUESTION MARK, AND I WILL DECIDE IF TO HELP OR STAY AWAY FROM THE TOPIC. HOW DIFFICULT IT IS ?

Sorry for the rant, but lately I've been tricked several times onto topics with misleading titles, and I'm getting sick of it.
What a waste of a post.
The thread contains the needed information to hack (if you can call it that) a Dreamcast.
So it doesn't matter and yes what a waste of a post.

hullo8d

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you really want to get into Dreamcast hacking you should look into the SD card reader for it it can now play ISO at a decent speed

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Also nice. Never really watched Fallout on Prime, but sounds like a good show. +1