Dreamcast Emulator Released for Android!!!

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just going to quote the Droidgamers article...

Source: http://www.droidgamers.com/index.ph...ator-reicast-arrives-in-alpha-form-on-android

Today Android gamers get a little bit of a treat, especially if you enjoy playing Dreamcast games. That is because Reicast, a multi-platform Dreamcast emulator that works quite well, has arrived onto Android today. Reicast is actually a fork of Nulldce for those of you familiar with that emulator. This release is being labeled as an Alpha version but once you dive into it, Reicast seems to have more of a beta feel to it.

Before you rush over to Google Play to download this new emulator, there are minimum hardware requirements that you'll want to have before bothering to try this emulator out. The developers are stating that you should have at least a Cortex-A9 Dual-core, 1Ghz+ processor in your Android device to ensure you get decent speeds when playing games using Reicast.

Other requirements are more software related. You'll need the Dreamcast BIOS for this emulator to work. You'll need to put it on /sdcard/dc/data/dc_boot.bin. The Dreamcast flash is located on /sdcard/dc/data/dc_flash.bin.

So far, even as an Alpha version, this emulator runs great and can already play plenty of games, most running at full speed such as Crazy Taxi, Soul Calibur, Metropolis Street Racer, Marvel vs Capcom and more. Since this is an Alpha release, there may be bugs that pop up but so far Reicast shows a lot of promise. For those of you interested in picking this new emulator up, you can do so off of Google Play for free.

For those of you who happen to own an Ouya, it appears that Reicast works pretty good on the Android-powered console as well.

Thanks to Trevor H. for the tip!

Google Play Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.reicast.emulator

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
any chance it could be ported to the Wii? Or is it too powerful for that? I always thought that in theory Dreamcast emulation on the Wii would be possible.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
got it on my Sophix 740g hope it isn't too shitty fps

any chance it could be ported to the Wii? Or is it too powerful for that? I always thought that in theory Dreamcast emulation on the Wii would be possible.

except for self encapsulated and injects it can't play n64 (Via emulator) roms....so no if it cant run n64 it DEFIANTLY cant run dreamcast

question aren't emulators banned on google play?

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
except for self encapsulated and injects it can't play n64 (Via emulator) roms

Right, but my understanding is the architecture of the Wii is far similar to the Dreamcast than the N64 was to the Wii. So in theory emulating a Dreamcast on the system could be much more fluid in the FPS department if done properly.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
This says it needs at least a dual core 1ghz for anything decent. I know it's not entirely fair to compare different architectures but the Wii is something like 768mhz single core
MAYBE on vWii once I get those other cores working ...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you pee in the water