Homebrew Dreamcast emu for Wii (Yes,it is happening!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

supermario5029

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Well i don't know but the emulators are home-made and they don't work perfectly,so,if Nintendo did make a Dreamcast VC for wii,it would work perfectly,biut now,we maybe need to wait!

Elliander

Trophies
Website
elliander.etherealspheres.com
XP
Country
United States
Has there been any progress on this project?

As for the Wii-U I imagine there would be an adventure to getting it to work there: The memory card games. I love those! Maybe if the Wii-U gamepad could emulate the Dreamcast memory card and memory screen it would allow for full compatibility with games. I don't see why it wouldn't be impossible for player 1 to use the gamepad, while player 2 through 4 use Wii-U pro controller.

Personally I don't plan on getting a Wii-U until it can at least do everything the Wii currently does with Homebrew - including the launching of Gamecube games. (and stopping those automatic updates that even brick unmodded Wiis) I have faith though that eventually someone will figure it all out and by then maybe I could dust off my old Gamecube and rip them onto a Wii-U! Honestly though, if I can't get backup loading of Wii-U games, but could get everything else to work including the Dreamcast I would buy a Wii-U in a heartbeat!

corenting

Trophies
Website
www.corenting.fr
XP
Country
France
Has there been any progress on this project?

As for the Wii-U I imagine there would be an adventure to getting it to work there: The memory card games. I love those! Maybe if the Wii-U gamepad could emulate the Dreamcast memory card and memory screen it would allow for full compatibility with games. I don't see why it wouldn't be impossible for player 1 to use the gamepad, while player 2 through 4 use Wii-U pro controller.

Personally I don't plan on getting a Wii-U until it can at least do everything the Wii currently does with Homebrew - including the launching of Gamecube games. (and stopping those automatic updates that even brick unmodded Wiis) I have faith though that eventually someone will figure it all out and by then maybe I could dust off my old Gamecube and rip them onto a Wii-U! Honestly though, if I can't get backup loading of Wii-U games, but could get everything else to work including the Dreamcast I would buy a Wii-U in a heartbeat!

Arikado hasn't posted since september 2011.
He also said that on his last blog post (where he said he had stopped working on Wii homebrews) :
NullDCe

Remember that first lesson I learned while working on DeSmuME Wii? Well, yeah. I happened across drk||Raziel on IRC and persuaded him to let me work on NullDCe. I added a full control scheme to the emulator, some minor rendering fixes, and then I was kicked off the project without warning because I was working too slowly. It ran surprisingly decently and drk||Raziel promised me he would have it running at full speed. I have no idea if drk||Raziel will ever release it. I'm not going to be an asshole and release an old version of it though. And I'm certainly not going to share any of the source code out of respect for drk||Raziel. My last build isn't worth playing. Sorry about how this one turned out, Internet.

I was working on a ton of different project on the Wii when I jumped on the opportunity to take on nulldce as well. It was a dumb idea in retrospect.

So, don't expect a release (that's why the topic was dead)

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, this is bullshit! Might as well release the old version so that someone can continue where that version left off. Seriously, there should be a "homebrew code" in which emulators, media players and apps should be completely open so that others can continue work when the main guys cant.

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
And here I am thinking that the reason this topic was revived was because drk finally released it. Whatever, the FBA cores of RetroArch have largely removed the need of a Dreamcast emulator for me.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well, this is bullshit! Might as well release the old version so that someone can continue where that version left off. Seriously, there should be a "homebrew code" in which emulators, media players and apps should be completely open so that others can continue work when the main guys cant.

May I ask... why?

Why would any coder be forced to share his hard work with anyone just because "the community feels like it"? The community didn't spend days in front of a compiler working their asses off, the coder did. You have no right to claim any code at all - you can kindly request it and the rightful owner of the code may or may not give it to you.

hack3r

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man what a tease to keep bumping this thread! And now I'm part of the problem...

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just buy a real dreamcast. it's the most easy system to burn games and play those games with.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
May I ask... why?

Why would any coder be forced to share his hard work with anyone just because "the community feels like it"? The community didn't spend days in front of a compiler working their asses off, the coder did. You have no right to claim any code at all - you can kindly request it and the rightful owner of the code may or may not give it to you.

Well on the other hand, if the author lives the project for good, but releases the source code and makes it open source, whoever picks it up, will surely give full credit to the original author, like we see with the various CFG Loaders or emus that became open source.
I guess some recognition is better then nothing, at least the project lives on instead of prematurely dying and being forgotten.
It's all good for the community in the end, and the original author's name will be remembered.
I don't see nothing wrong with it.

antnj81

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this emulator would be cool in theory, but it would probably just be like another cool emulator ...

COUGHCOUGHdesmumeCOUGHCOUGH

that would most just be a barely-functional pile of lag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Imma make quesadillas for lunch :D +1