Dreaded "Save data file Format error!" message

Discussion in 'M3 Adapter' started by CaptSaltyJack, Jul 29, 2008.

1. CaptSaltyJack
    OP

Newcomer CaptSaltyJack Newbie

United States
    I just got my brand new M3 Real, formatted the microSD, copied the SYSTEM folder onto it (3.9), and dragged a ROM onto it. I boot it up, start the ROM up, and it tries to create a save file but I get this:

Save data file
    Format error!

Anyone know what might be causing this? I've tried different ROMs and reformatting the SD card, nothing works.

2. g6team

Member g6team GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Hong Kong
    Are you using clean dumps? Do you have another MicroSD that you could try using?

3. zidane_genome

Member zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

United States
    Make sure that the SD card is formated to FAT, not FAT32 or NTSC...

that might work.

4. CaptSaltyJack
    OP

United States
    Clean dumps, meaning..?

And no, unfortunately this is the only microSD I have. Could it be corrupt? Does it make a difference that I'm formatting the card on a Mac? I'm using the MS-DOS option when I format it. Maybe I'll format it via Windows just to be safe.

5. g6team

Member g6team GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Hong Kong
  6. CaptSaltyJack
    OP

United States
    I got it working, not sure how. I formatted in Windows (FAT32 is fine) but I reformatted it in Mac, seems to be fine. Who knows?

7. Dark^'^Knigh

Member Dark^'^Knigh GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Windows XP only gives me the option to format my recently acquired 4gb microsd in FAT32. No other option available, should this be the case?

I only mention this, because I think I've read here somewhere that FAT is quicker than FAT32.

8. dsrules

Member dsrules GBAtemp Psycho!

all the format this format that are BS..there is no need to format any microsd
    that usually happens if you dont have enough free space on your microsd to hold the savefile

after u format it then you'll have more free space than b4, that's why it works after the format

9. Dark^'^Knigh

Member Dark^'^Knigh GBAtemp Maniac

Australia

"all the format this format that are BS..there is no need to format any microsd"

Interesting response.....the guy said he had firmware & 1 rom only on cart, microsd prob not full?... [​IMG]
    I would have thought formatting is often vital to improve performance of memory cards, given the amount of deleting/removing of data that is written to it. Of course, I could be wrong. [​IMG]

10. paul.b.davis

Newcomer paul.b.davis Newbie

United States
    when that happens, just go into the SD card and delete the .sav (for sakura) or .0 (for M3 OS) file and start it up again, works every time for me