Gaming Dragon's Lair Trilogy

bwillb

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/706630/D...-This-Fall.html

my inner child is absolutely giddy. Nostalgia overload, used to play the original in the arcade any time I went inside an arcade, anywhere. Super simple controls, basically just a movie with a button quicktime thing every now and then ("PRESS RIGHT OR DIE!!!").... but damn it brings back memories
biggrin.gif

the Wii release includes a super casual omde where you can just watch it as a movie without worrying about pressing buttons
biggrin.gif

h0ser81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah you just gave away your age my friend. LoL I can also remember standing at the arcade dumping quarters into Dragon's Lair. I was terrible at this game. Laserdisc arcade games for the win!

Anyone remember Starcade?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not to rain on this parade, but Destineer is behind this, so if anything it's gonna feel like a cheap cash-in instead of trying to pay homage to a legendary arcade series. I'll guess with their quality of work in the past it'll be a poorly converted port and some bad add-ons.

I never played the originals nor do I have much interest in them, but seeing their historic value, I just wish a better team had this conversion. Not shovelware masters Destineer.

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
Not to rain on this parade, but Destineer is behind this, so if anything it's gonna feel like a cheap cash-in instead of trying to pay homage to a legendary arcade series. I'll guess with their quality of work in the past it'll be a poorly converted port and some bad add-ons.

I never played the originals nor do I have much interest in them, but seeing their historic value, I just wish a better team had this conversion. Not shovelware masters Destineer.

In fairness... Dragon's Lair IS shovelware. There's no "game" there. It's a choose-your-own adventure video. ANYONE could be releasing this game (Imagine Dragon's Lair?) and it would still come out the same
tongue.gif

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
I loathed this series as a kid. Space Ace was awful too...

The_Hulkster

Trophies
XP
Country
To each his own.

I for one really like the games. So I understand why bwillb is a bit giddy at the moment.

And WildWon, there certainly is a game there. You need to press the right buttons at the right time.
Isn't that what most games are about?

Although, I do agree on Destineer being a shovelware master. But the games have already been made so there's not a whole lot they can mess up there.

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The_Hulkster said:
To each his own.

I for one really like the games. So I understand why bwillb is a bit giddy at the moment.

And WildWon, there certainly is a game there. You need to press the right buttons at the right time.

Although, I do agree on Destineer being a shovelware master. But the games have already been made so there's not a whole lot they can mess up there.

It's as much of a "game" as a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure book is a game.
Which is why i followed that with "It's a choose-your-own adventure video." I suppose i should have said "movie" in place of "video," as to not confuse it with a
"video game."

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Much like the trouble i had calling Night Trap a real game...

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, I hated this series as a kid as well, was the ultimate example of style over substance - in fact it's a bit of a stretch to call it a game at all. i used to love choose your own adventure books, but come on, this isn't even like that. The button/joystick rpesses were usually arbitary and it was more a case of putting in a load of money (This game was 50p(!!!) a go when it came out in my arcades, new games were usually 30p and games like Bubble Bobble were 10p/20p) use trial and error to find out the combinations and then input them at the right time to watch a cartoon upto a certain point. The only 'choice' was usually to live or to die. Used to be the 'non gamers' who played Dragon's Lair, wowed by the graphics, while the nerds were playing Double Dragon or whatever.

imapterodactyl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The_Hulkster said:
To each his own.

I love Dragon's Lair as well... a classic that reminds me of just how old I'm getting. And of course there's a game there.... the "press the right buttons at the right time" gameplay is pretty much exactly the same as the quicktime events in God of War and several other games. So essentially, the whole game is one big QTE. And a very nicely animated one at that. If that's not gameplay, I can come up with a dozen other games that have no gameplay without even thinking about it.

George Dawes

Wanker
Trophies
Website
www.indymedia.org.uk
XP
Country
Chad
50p a game!? I didn't see any game of that price until the early-mid 90s. I never saw a game over ten pence (remember the size of 10p coins back then ;-) ) in the early 80s when this was released. I didn't even see a 20p game until the very end of the 80s.

I was never a huge fan of DL, but I liked the bits in GoW, Die Hard Arcade etc where you had to press the button at the right time.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
It's possible I'm thinking of Space Ace or Dragon's Lair II with the 50p price tag, but it was certainly more than most games - and you had to keep piling the money in the find the right buttons and timing through trial and error.

Yeah, it's like quick time events, and QTE are awful enough when they're just part of a game, never mind an entire game.

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
George Dawes said:
A "choose your own adventure book" is a game, hence them being sold under the Gamebook name.

So yeah, it is as much of a game as a gamebook.

However, 'gamebook' isn't a game. It's a book rather than a game. If you'd find a child reading a CYOA book, and ask him what he's doing, he's not going to say "playing a game." Nor would i have just said "find a child playing a CYOA game" if he has the book in his hand."

You wouldn't find them in a game store, but rather... a book store.

So, even though the name is a "gamebook," that's for the description of a style of book... not a game.

The above "extended QTE" is a better explanation, and i'll still throw those into an interactive movie, rather than a video game.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The game I loved to hate and hate to love, but still find some way to tolerate it to a point. Dragon's Lair was a 50 cent pain in the ass of kids, and I wouldn't drop for it, but would watch others as I loved Don Bluth's animation. Years later I ended up with a CDi and got it with Space Ace as well, both bastards of games but SA was far worse. The problem is that you're trying to direct a video sequence with the right keyed in response and if you blow it, you're roasted, and after 3-5 tries depending how it was set it was over. Dragon's Lair was all randomly ordered scenes while Space Ace was linear, but DL was in a way a bit more evil than Space Ace as it had no flashy indicator what to do, Ace did...but Ace was a lot more involved in what and when to press precision and total amount wise making it the worst. Due to that I never did more than probably 10min into that game somewhere shortly after the in the ship run in the tight areas and into the port bit. Dragon's Lair due to the CDi and then the stunning as hell GBC game I figured out around 1/2 the scenes in the game.

I think I will buy this, but there's a good reason. There's a beginner mode that supposedly tells you what to press, but you got to figure the timing out (yay for me, my short term is shit.) And the huge seller since it's only $30, 'video mode' because you can watch all 3 games played out as a cartoon a piece for each which takes like 20-30min I'm told, standard length of an afternoon cartoon. Those 2 perks alone make me want the package entirely and nothing else because maybe I can learn to finish Dragon's Lair, never could try the 2nd one, and Space Ace I dunno might get lucky.

For those ripping on this as some 'not a game' type thing, bullshit. It's as much 'not a game' as Heavy Rain on the PS3, it's predecessors by the same team, or any quick time event laden game as well. This game was the dawn of the quick time event genre, seriously.

George Dawes

Wanker
Trophies
Website
www.indymedia.org.uk
XP
Country
Chad
WildWon said:
However, 'gamebook' isn't a game. It's a book rather than a game.
It is both. It is a mini-rpg in book form.

QUOTE said:
If you'd find a child reading a CYOA book, and ask him what he's doing, he's not going to say "playing a game."
Except he would say "Playing a game". I played them quite a bit in the 80s/very early 90s and "playing a game" is exactly how we described it.

You wouldn't find them in a game store, but rather... a book store.
I used to buy them from Games Workshop (quite a popular RPG/model store back then - anyone remember their (tabletop) gaming mag "white Dwarf"?). Even now places like Forbidden Planet, Impact Games, Worlds Apart etc still have a small range of gamebooks. You could buy them from gameshops AND bookshops.

By your crazy reasoning, a videogame isn't a game because it isn't a traditional roleplaying or tabletop/board game. And boardgames aren't games because they aren't the physical games played in 10,000 bc.

Am0s

Mojo Risin
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I hated this series too although I did play it on the C64 or amiga cant remember which, never did like the timed actions for this game, space ace was like wow look at the graphics, then you got to play it with its 7 disc set

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
bwillb said:
the Wii release includes a super casual omde where you can just watch it as a movie without worrying about pressing buttons
biggrin.gif

they might as well just release it on a dvd to watch than and forget the damn game!

QUOTE(George Dawes @ Aug 4 2010, 01:55 AM) A "choose your own adventure book" is a game, hence them being sold under the Gamebook name.

So yeah, it is as much of a game as a gamebook.
cyoa books aren't really classified as a gamebook. a real gamebook has a player sheet, battles, items and pretty much everything a rpg has except you read it. the fighting fantasy books are among the most popular in the gamebook series and their still making them today. you can even get them on the iphone i have the entire collection of books including the new and the ultra rare ones. some books are worth $50-100 on their own!
tongue.gif

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I've never played the game, but I watched the cartoon when I was a kid. I might give this a try one day, but I'll probably give up at some point mid-first-game and watch the playthrough on Youtube.

...yeah, I'm not proud of it either
rolleyes.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1