Dragons Lair To Come To The DS

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Hadrian, Jun 27, 2007.

Jun 27, 2007
  1. Hadrian
    OP

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    From IGN:
    "The classic laser disc arcade game Dragon's Lair, a marvel in both animation and in gameplay more than two decades ago, will be making its way to the Nintendo DS later this year by newly formed game development studio Wizardry Engineering.

Dragon's Lair hit the arcade scene in 1983, giving players the ability to "control" Dirk the Daring's fate as he made his way through an enchanted castle in order to save his gal Daphne from the clutches of a lumbering dragon. The game's visuals were spooled to the player via a laser disc player through animation directed by Don Bluth -- players "controlled" the game by pushing a joystick or button at specific points in the action.

The last time Dragon's Lair was made available for handheld gaming was Digital Eclipse's surprisingly well received Game Boy Color game. Of course, compromises had to be made to get that video-heavy design to work on the 8-bit system and four megabytes of cartridge space. On the DS, Wizardry Engineering has the luxury of a much more powerful system and larger cartridge media, and the development team's ready to exploit it.

Dragon's Lair DS will be arcade accurate, lifting its video assets from the remastered high-definition HD version released on the PC and, more recently, on Blu-Ray. Players will have the ability to play the game in different ways: held normally on a single screen, or, as shown, across both screens while holding the unit in its "book" form a la Brain Age. The conversion will feature the arcade perfect mode as well as the updated "home" version that added a handful of extra scenes.

For DS gamers, Wizardry Engineering will be adding extras on top of the traditional Dragon's Lair experience: along with the ability to play holding the DS normal or upright like a book, there will be options to play via stylus or even voice recognition through the system's microphone. It will also support the optional Rumble Pak if you managed to snag one from Metroid Pinball.

The game is currently being shopped around for a publisher in anticipation of a fourth quarter 2007 release."

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In my opinion it looks like a homebrew project, I really don't see how anyone would play it book mode, just looks stupid to me. I can't see the point to this game other than being a novelty but you know thats just me. I understand that there are DVD, HD-DVD and Blu-Ray versions also coming out soon. The Super Nintendo game was pretty good and the GC 3D platformer one wasn't too bad, I'd rather they take bits from the old game to make a proper game like they did with those.

2. jalapeno

Member jalapeno GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    isnt it upside down... if you are right handed?

[​IMG]

3. sipoon

Member sipoon GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    I remember a discontinued dragons lair ds homebrew, with only the first few scenes or so done, it was played on only one screen, it worked well imho

4. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    As I remember it, it certainly wasn't known for its 'gameplay' and most magazines at the time saw through the amazing graphics and slated it.

5. Hadrian
    OP

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Ign now have a interview with the developers:
    http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/799/799565p1.html

Sounds like the bits in the home versions of the original will also be included along with a option to watch it without playing it. The developers also plan on making games for the Wii so expect a Wii version.

Still pointless to me.

6. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    The best versions of Dragons Lair were released on the C64. I wouldn't have minded if they released both C64 games, update like they did with impossible mission.

7. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    I have the PC versions of all the Dragon's Lair games (even that platformer one and Space Ace) and I don't really play those, so this doesn't interest me in the least.

I even took all those Digital Leisure light gun games (Mad Dog McCree 1+2, Last Bounty Hunter, etc.....ALL of those, 7 in all) PC CD versions and put them one convenient DVD. Don't really play those either. They weren't even copy protected.

As far as I'm concerned, this will be a game called skip.

8. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    I remember walking into my local arcade (I think this was back in the late 70s) and seeing the game for the first time -- it was jaw-dropping, to say the least. Today...well, it's kind of hokey to see them trying to cash in on this game. It's just so yesteryear, and it feels more than a little cheap.

Anyway, the original game wasn't actually all that fun to play, anyway, in my opinion. It was a lot more fun to watch someone who had all the contact-sensitive moves (of which made up the entire gameplay experience) down pat. But otherwise it wasn't much of a game. I know when I played Resident Evil 4 I thought the interactive cutscenes were a clever novelty to add, but I was glad that there weren't too many of them. Dragon's Lair is an entire game of that, and I doubt I'd enjoy it too much, especially now that it's so out of date.

Now, if they had revamped the gameplay...

9. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    I had the GBC one. At Digital Eclipse who did that one at the time I had 2 friends on staff as coders (not their project) and they sold me on it. In that 4MB ROM they wedged the entire arcade title short of 6 moves by shortening death sequences, minimalizing music (not sfx) and running it in 4bit color. It was pretty damn fun and I pulled it out now and again for years.

Had I never had the GBC copy I'd probably grab this, but I'll surely pass this time. I never had a huge taste for that lame timing memory stuff as I never can remember a damn thing short term wise enough to handle it.

10. ssoccerh

Member ssoccerh GBAtemp Regular

United States
    should be pretty cool looks kind of awkward holding it

11. Antihero2007

Member Antihero2007 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I've always wanted to play Dragons Lair, I think I'll finally get to if/when this comes out.

12. Albertoil

Newcomer Albertoil Advanced Member

United States
    don't kill me but, I think this game is gay. :X

13. mthrnite

Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

United States
    Old-school gamer here. I'm gonna hafta agree with irpacynot.. I remember it's debut in the arcades. It was fun to watch somebody good play it, but otherwise it was just an excuse to brush up on your cursing skills

14. MR_COW

Member MR_COW GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I'm hoping for space ace.