Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dragons-Dogma-Online-Ann.jpg

Dragon's Dogma was a game where you could climb on top of a dragon and spank it silly with the weapon of your choice. It garnered a devoted, if kind of small, fanbase, but Capcom's been mum regarding a potential sequel or followup. I know several people who've been wishing for another entry in the series.

Well, about that wishing... did you ever read "The Monkey's Paw" before?
Capcom has announced the next entry in the Dragon's Dogma series, Dragon's Dogma Online. It will be a free-to-play game with micro-transactions on the PS3, PS4, and PC.

The gameplay is supposed to be similar to that of the first game, though this time allowing 4 players to tackle the open world of Lestaria together. Towns will act as lobbies holding up to 100 other players. Additionally, it looks like Sony is funding the development to some degree, so chances of it reaching the Xbox One or other platforms look somewhat slim.
:arrow:Gematsu

So depending on your view of MMOs and F2P titles, this is either good news... or very, very bad news. This is also likely a downer for anyone hoping for a proper Dragon's Dogma 2.

For me, at least, keeping the basic gameplay while allowing players to bull ride dragons with three of their friends sounds like a lot of fun. On the other hand, this is F2P with micro-transactions with Capcom at the helm.

Be careful what you wish for.

SavvyTaco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HOLY SHIT, MY FAVORITE GAME OF ALL TIME IS GETTING A SEQU-
>ftp
Go fuck yourself, Capcom. You piece of shit.

;_;
Also, I doubt this is going to come to the west any time soon, if ever....

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
Online only, free to play and microtransations make me not even 1% interested in this game. Just from those 3 things I will never play it despite loving Dragons Dogma DA. Everyone that played DD wanted a sequel and they bring this lol

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I can live with the online and free to play. Microtransactions, it really depends on how much the game tries to impede your progress to make you buy things. If it's like "buy a revive NOW or don't play until the next day" then fuck that.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I reckon a game that would go up against World of Warcraft would be more newsworthy if it was not going free to play.

Anyway I thought the word was that Capcom were lacking the funds to do much of anything these days, let alone try to compete with WoW (such a thing having tanked presumably far better funded groups).

ohsoroso

Turtle Neck Sweater.
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man I really loved Dragons Dogma its odd that they're taking this route although I will definitely hold off any judgment until I play the game I hope this is the true direction they wanted to go with the series if not I'm sure it will end up being a disappointment.

lufere7

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Ughhh so bittersweet, was waiting for Dragon's Dogma PC but not like this. Though tbf my main gripe with MMOs are the bland gameplay, so as long as it isn't Pay 2 win and has a semblance of a campaign I may give it a try.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I don't know what's people's problem with F2P, there's loads of games following that model that are great - Team Fortress 2, Lineage 2 etc., F2P doesn't automatically mean crap. For all intents and purposes, you're getting a free game and you're still complaining. Nobody's forcing you to use microtransactions - it's your choice.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nobody's forcing you to use microtransactions - it's your choice.
In the broadest sense that would be true, however many a lesser f2p game seems to go in for the "you can play for free but we will hamstring you such that it is not worth it".

I have no problem with f2p in general and think it represents an interesting way of funding game development, however I do not even have to be all that cynical to see what has come of it thus far.

Reactions: Steena

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if I'll play it or not. I loved Dragon's Dogma, and the co-op thing sounds nice, but if the micro-transactions get in the way of player interaction (like PvP or something) and junk I probably won't touch it.

I don't know what's people's problem with F2P, there's loads of games following that model that are great - Team Fortress 2, Lineage 2 etc., F2P doesn't automatically mean crap. For all intents and purposes, you're getting a free game and you're still complaining. Nobody's forcing you to use microtransactions - it's your choice.
The problem isn't so much F2P as it is F2P that gives you the option of spending $1 on a sword, or doing 16 quests, 8 dungeons, 4 raids, and you have to fuck the queen of the universe to acquire the same sword with "free" options, which is how most of these F2P+micro-transactions games are. Of course you have a choice between spending that $1 and spending some amount of time to get the same thing, but it's never in a proportional sense that's actually worth the effort which is the problem.

And yes, there are some F2P games that have unobtrusive micro-transactions that are just useless pets or skins or whatever, but the above is far more widespread.

But, of course, we don't actually know yet whether this will be one of those games or not so instant decision of "NEVER BUYING :cry:" is dumb, but it's also not necessarily unwarranted.

Reactions: Steena

GameSystem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This was my favorite game on PS3. I don't have a PS4 because I refuse to pay a yearly subscription, so news of this coming to PS3 and PC is amazing. Even if this game is F2P, and even if it has no visual upgrades, I loved the source game so much that it doesn't matter. I will never pay-to-win, so that means I'll get that much more game time out of it while I 'm grinding 10 hours for that one sword that costs $1 to buy.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I reckon a game that would go up against World of Warcraft would be more newsworthy if it was not going free to play.

Anyway I thought the word was that Capcom were lacking the funds to do much of anything these days, let alone try to compete with WoW (such a thing having tanked presumably far better funded groups).

Discarding all remakes, second versions (naming a random one from each) and spinoffs, there's still:
Red, Gold, Sapphire, Diamond, Black(, Black 2)? and X. I'd say 6-7 games depending on whether you want to count BW2 probably counts as a series. Of course, it doesn't even come close to the total amount of Pokemon games out there, but hey.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Discarding all remakes, second versions (naming a random one from each) and spinoffs, there's still:
Red, Gold, Sapphire, Diamond, Black(, Black 2)? and X. I'd say 6-7 games depending on whether you want to count BW2 probably counts as a series. Of course, it doesn't even come close to the total amount of Pokemon games out there, but hey.

and each of those basically the same as the one before.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...