Dragon's Dogma Online Announced, Will Be F2P

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You are allowed to count spinoffs, it is how pokemon gets to be called a series after all.

Erm...surely we agree that pokémon has more than one full game, right? :unsure:

But in all honesty...how many dragon's dogma spinoffs are there? Following your post, I googled up a 'dragon's dogma quest' game...and that's it. Granted, it's more than nothing, but still pretty meager.

The problem isn't so much F2P as it is F2P that gives you the option of spending $1 on a sword, or doing 16 quests, 8 dungeons, 4 raids, and you have to fuck the queen of the universe to acquire the same sword with "free" options, which is how most of these F2P+micro-transactions games are. Of course you have a choice between spending that $1 and spending some amount of time to get the same thing, but it's never in a proportional sense that's actually worth the effort which is the problem.

This is the symptom, but not the real problem. I'm not too familiar with DD, but I wager to guess the whole reason you want to play that game is to do quests, raid dungeons and fuck the queen of the universe. Unfortunately, for F2P games, that focus is different. The actual customers of these games* are the ones NOT playing the game. And that more often than not results in a changed market. Rather than focusing on having the best quests, mechanics, required skills and so forth, the focus becomes on loot drops, rewards and social comparisons (not by coincidence things that encourage you to spend actual money to keep up with other players).

*to a developer (or anyone else not working for charity), the customers are always the ones who pay. They don't make the game like pirates want it to be, and they have no reason to listen to players who are stubborn to not paying a dime on a F2P game.

Reactions: chartube12

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Erm...surely we agree that pokémon has more than one full game, right? :unsure:

But in all honesty...how many dragon's dogma spinoffs are there? Following your post, I googled up a 'dragon's dogma quest' game...and that's it. Granted, it's more than nothing, but still pretty meager.

I was counting the Dark Arisen thing more, indeed I was entirely unaware of the IOS/vita thing. As for pokemon it was just the "pokemon doesn't change" joke.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I must have missed that, or not been a member of the PS+ clan at that point. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure it was too but I don't have it for some reason. Must've not used the PS3 that month.

The Xbox 360 version is better though if you can get it. Runs smoother, looks better. The PS3 version is playable though.

I still suggest grabbing it for any PS3/Xbox 360 owner. It could easily be my favorite RPG of the last gen.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure it was too but I don't have it for some reason. Must've not used the PS3 that month.

The Xbox 360 version is better though if you can get it. Runs smoother, looks better. The PS3 version is playable though.

I still suggest grabbing it for any PS3/Xbox 360 owner. It could easily be my favorite RPG of the last gen.

HA sold my 360 to purchase a PS3 so I could field all the free content I get with PS+. Thanks for the heads up though.

Aeodan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember getting Dark Arisen with PS+. A week after I purchased it off PSN. One of my all time favorite rpgs and I really hope this holds up to the original game.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Traademarks are cheap enough though so I would probably not even go that far.

What are the dominant games like this in Japan/South Korea/wherever else this would be launched?

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Traademarks are cheap enough though so I would probably not even go that far.

What are the dominant games like this in Japan/South Korea/wherever else this would be launched?
PSO2, vindictus, MH online, MH frontier, blade&soul, dungeon fighter online if it's still running

Not sure about the dominant part right now, but there's a flood of titles like these that rise and fall very fast. DDO doesn't look like it will be an MMO but a lobby-based game (even though people still call those MMOs for some reason), perhaps it will have one shared town to trade with other players, or a shared auction house, like all of the games I mentioned.

As for capcom's plans to port it to the west, I don't know. We don't get many of these, including the lobby based F2P games made or licensed by capcom (MHF, MHO), though DD is a game that has strong medieval fantasy roots, so it may be deemed more appealing to the west. We'll see.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If it plays like Dragon's Dogma, and isn't lobby based I could see it being quite a good MMO. I have pretty heavy doubts it'll be open world however, which is a shame. I'd play it in a foreign language if it was though. Good MMOs always get (fan)translations, like Phantasy Star Online.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte