Dragon's Dogma Online Announced, Will Be F2P

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Gahars, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Dragons-Dogma-Online-Ann.jpg

Dragon's Dogma was a game where you could climb on top of a dragon and spank it silly with the weapon of your choice. It garnered a devoted, if kind of small, fanbase, but Capcom's been mum regarding a potential sequel or followup. I know several people who've been wishing for another entry in the series.

Well, about that wishing... did you ever read "The Monkey's Paw" before?
    :arrow:Gematsu

So depending on your view of MMOs and F2P titles, this is either good news... or very, very bad news. This is also likely a downer for anyone hoping for a proper Dragon's Dogma 2.

For me, at least, keeping the basic gameplay while allowing players to bull ride dragons with three of their friends sounds like a lot of fun. On the other hand, this is F2P with micro-transactions with Capcom at the helm.

Be careful what you wish for.

Logan97, BORTZ and Foxi4 like this.
  2. SavvyTaco

SavvyTaco Member

Newcomer
    May 4, 2011
    United States
    No.
    HOLY SHIT, MY FAVORITE GAME OF ALL TIME IS GETTING A SEQU-
    >ftp
    Go fuck yourself, Capcom. You piece of shit.

;_;
    Also, I doubt this is going to come to the west any time soon, if ever....

3. T-hug

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
    Online only, free to play and microtransations make me not even 1% interested in this game. Just from those 3 things I will never play it despite loving Dragons Dogma DA. Everyone that played DD wanted a sequel and they bring this lol

4. BrightNeko

BrightNeko Popcorn ball

Dec 11, 2010
    United States
    Texas
    is it deep down? cause the two already looked similar o-o

5. Chris_Highwind

Chris_Highwind GBAtemp Fan

Mar 21, 2010
    United States
    Mooresville, NC
    Well, I wanted something new for my PS3, and for my sins, I got it, considering this makes it stateside.

6. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    I can live with the online and free to play. Microtransactions, it really depends on how much the game tries to impede your progress to make you buy things. If it's like "buy a revive NOW or don't play until the next day" then fuck that.

7. Heran Bago

Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

Nov 6, 2005
    United States
    Foggy California
    That's the Capcom I know.

T-hug likes this.
  8. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I reckon a game that would go up against World of Warcraft would be more newsworthy if it was not going free to play.

Anyway I thought the word was that Capcom were lacking the funds to do much of anything these days, let alone try to compete with WoW (such a thing having tanked presumably far better funded groups).

9. Fuzzeh

Fuzzeh Turtle Neck Sweater.

Newcomer
    Mar 26, 2013
    United States
    Not Crazy Gadget
    Man I really loved Dragons Dogma its odd that they're taking this route although I will definitely hold off any judgment until I play the game I hope this is the true direction they wanted to go with the series if not I'm sure it will end up being a disappointment.

10. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    So...one game is considered a series now? :P

11. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    FTP is awesome until you realize all the fcking micro transactions (which is another word for bs)

12. lufere7

lufere7 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 29, 2010
    Mexico
    Sonora
    Ughhh so bittersweet, was waiting for Dragon's Dogma PC but not like this. Though tbf my main gripe with MMOs are the bland gameplay, so as long as it isn't Pay 2 win and has a semblance of a campaign I may give it a try.

13. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    You are allowed to count spinoffs, it is how pokemon gets to be called a series after all.

14. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    And Kingdom hearts

15. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I don't know what's people's problem with F2P, there's loads of games following that model that are great - Team Fortress 2, Lineage 2 etc., F2P doesn't automatically mean crap. For all intents and purposes, you're getting a free game and you're still complaining. Nobody's forcing you to use microtransactions - it's your choice.

16. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    In the broadest sense that would be true, however many a lesser f2p game seems to go in for the "you can play for free but we will hamstring you such that it is not worth it".

I have no problem with f2p in general and think it represents an interesting way of funding game development, however I do not even have to be all that cynical to see what has come of it thus far.

Steena likes this.
  17. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Not sure if I'll play it or not. I loved Dragon's Dogma, and the co-op thing sounds nice, but if the micro-transactions get in the way of player interaction (like PvP or something) and junk I probably won't touch it.

The problem isn't so much F2P as it is F2P that gives you the option of spending $1 on a sword, or doing 16 quests, 8 dungeons, 4 raids, and you have to fuck the queen of the universe to acquire the same sword with "free" options, which is how most of these F2P+micro-transactions games are. Of course you have a choice between spending that $1 and spending some amount of time to get the same thing, but it's never in a proportional sense that's actually worth the effort which is the problem.

And yes, there are some F2P games that have unobtrusive micro-transactions that are just useless pets or skins or whatever, but the above is far more widespread.

But, of course, we don't actually know yet whether this will be one of those games or not so instant decision of "NEVER BUYING :cry:" is dumb, but it's also not necessarily unwarranted.

Steena likes this.
  18. GameSystem

GameSystem GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    This was my favorite game on PS3. I don't have a PS4 because I refuse to pay a yearly subscription, so news of this coming to PS3 and PC is amazing. Even if this game is F2P, and even if it has no visual upgrades, I loved the source game so much that it doesn't matter. I will never pay-to-win, so that means I'll get that much more game time out of it while I 'm grinding 10 hours for that one sword that costs $1 to buy.

19. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Discarding all remakes, second versions (naming a random one from each) and spinoffs, there's still:
    Red, Gold, Sapphire, Diamond, Black(, Black 2)? and X. I'd say 6-7 games depending on whether you want to count BW2 probably counts as a series. Of course, it doesn't even come close to the total amount of Pokemon games out there, but hey.

20. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    and each of those basically the same as the one before.