DragonMMC - TriNAND, TriSD, Solderless Internal Payload Injector / Kickstand

DragonMMC replaces the stock MicroSD and NAND boards, and adds a slide switch to choose between up to 3 MicroSD cards/NAND modules. This slide switch protrudes slightly from the original MicroSD card slot, while a replacement kickstand houses 3 MicroSD card slots. Installation does not require soldering, but will require some disassembly of your Switch. All required tools will be included. Removal of the heat shield is currently required. Addons for the DMMC are planned, including fully internal Bluetooth audio streaming, and you can easily make your own thanks to the expansion connector and solderless USB passthrough. (Note that the DMMC itself has no USB capabilities and only passes the USB lines to the expansion connector.)

DragonMMC is modular, with 3 NAND module slots available. An adapter module for the OEM NAND is included. Extra NAND modules of 64GB and 256GB will be available on the web store. The modules are snap-in and do not require soldering. An MCU handles NAND module and MicroSD card detection, as well as safe switching. The slide switch can be moved at any time to change the desired NAND module and MicroSD card. A restart or power cycle of the console will be required to enact the changes. If the selected MicroSD slot or NAND module is empty, DragonMMC will look for the next populated slot and enable it instead.

DragonMMC will be based on the ESP32-PICO microcontroller. More info to come soon!

Last edited by MatinatorX,

mattytrog

You don`t want to listen to anything I say.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Good to see you again buddy. Out of curiosity, what modchips does SWITCHBOOT run on, and how many of them have I2C support?
Switchboot/fusee suite(recommended) can be made to run on more or less anything. Subject to space on flash and usb host mode obvs.

Good to speak to you! Been doing all sorts behind the scenes. GPIO fiddling and injecting signals/noise into lines and straps to get initial Mariko/lite support up and running. Messing with boot0 etc

But yeah I can port it to anything you like. Loving your design of board!

Shame emmc prices are so eyewatering for bigger ones.

MatinatorX

Hardware Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.dragoninjector.com
XP
Country
Canada
Switchboot/fusee suite(recommended) can be made to run on more or less anything. Subject to space on flash and usb host mode obvs.

Good to speak to you! Been doing all sorts behind the scenes. GPIO fiddling and injecting signals/noise into lines and straps to get initial Mariko/lite support up and running. Messing with boot0 etc

But yeah I can port it to anything you like. Loving your design of board!

Shame emmc prices are so eyewatering for bigger ones.
Well now, looks like someone's anxious to have the first exploit out the door for Mariko. That's awesome mate. Any particular hardware I should add to DragonMMC besides external GPIOs? ;)

You'll be happy to know the DragonMMC uses the same SAMD21E18 as the Trinket M0 then. There are 4 GPIOs, plus VCC_eMMC, GND, and I2C exposed via the pads or more cleanly via the FFC connector. The exact PMIC I'm using is the TI TPS22994 - thanks to the I2C support, it behaves like a latch and keeps it's state with only 22uA quiescent until the next power on, which means I can get crazy low standby power by sleeping the MCU. Datasheet here!

Thanks for the kind words! Working hard to make my PCBs look better. Jury is still out on if it's too gamer aesthetic or not... :unsure:

Oh and regarding eMMC prices, I'm buying new Samsung chips (I don't trust used) in bulk to get better rates. So far I think I can offer 64GB modules ready to plug in to DragonMMC or ReLOAD for $35 USD. The 64GB chips are KLMCG4JENB-B041, and I'm trying to find KLMEG8UCTA-B041 for a good bulk rate.

I destroyed the SD connector on the board of one of my Switches. Will this allow me to bypass that broken SD slot??
Unfortunately not. The test points for the MicroSD slot are very small and don't include VCC_SD. The best I can do is give you the part number of the motherboard side connector if you want to try to replace it yourself or get a shop that can handle microsoldering to do it.

Last edited by MatinatorX,

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Very interesting project! So you can use three additional micro sd cards and three additional NAND chips? Is it still possible to use the original eMMC?

MatinatorX

Hardware Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.dragoninjector.com
XP
Country
Canada
Very interesting project! So you can use three additional micro sd cards and three additional NAND chips? Is it still possible to use the original eMMC?
Yep! The original OEM NAND is supported through a module adapter as seen in the second image, and takes up one of the three available NAND slots.

The single slide switch functions to select both the active NAND module and the active MicroSD card, with the idea being each environment gets it's own external storage that's invisible to the others.

Reactions: pLaYeR^^

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Yep! The original OEM NAND is supported through a module adapter as seen in the second image, and takes up one of the three available NAND slots.

The single slide switch functions to select both the active NAND module and the active MicroSD card, with the idea being each environment gets it's own external storage that's invisible to the others.
Also nice to get more storage on my switch. Currently I am using one 512GB micro sd card but soon I am running out of space. Since 1TB cards are expensive, maybe this is a good solution?

Dante2405

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Just to be sure i follow.

This does not hack the switch. You have to hack your switch, then install dragon MMC and then you get a switch button that allow you to go from a SD card to another with whatever you installed on. OFW, CFW, or linux.

Is that right?

MatinatorX

Hardware Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.dragoninjector.com
XP
Country
Canada
Also nice to get more storage on my switch. Currently I am using one 512GB micro sd card but soon I am running out of space. Since 1TB cards are expensive, maybe this is a good solution?
Depends on your exact use case. I have no plans to combine MicroSD cards, but you could for example use only two NAND modules (OFW AND CFW) with 3 MicroSD cards. Due to the NAND detection, when selecting the third slot, DragonMMC will detect the absence of a NAND module in slot 3 and instead enable the NAND module in slot 2, but will still respect the selected MicroSD if it exists. So,m you could use MicroSD 1 for OFW, and MicroSD 2 and 3 for CFW, switching between them when you need to.

MatinatorX

Hardware Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.dragoninjector.com
XP
Country
Canada
Just to be sure i follow.

This does not hack the switch. You have to hack your switch, then install dragon MMC and then you get a switch button that allow you to go from a SD card to another with whatever you installed on. OFW, CFW, or linux.

Is that right?
The definition of hacking your Switch is fairly broad so I'll break down exactly what this can do:
- Lets you choose between up to 3 NANDs
- Lets you choose between up to 3 MicroSD cards
- Can inject payloads stored on your MicroSD
* Cannot boot CFW on it's own, payload is required
* Cannot read the contents of your NAND or MicroSD, as it's only toggling power to them

As for the particulars on console modification, you'll probably want to reference a guide to learn more, such as https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Will this be available for order on AliExpress?
I live in Canada and make projects in my kitchen so... no, not unless someone clones it without permission.

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Depends on your exact use case. I have no plans to combine MicroSD cards, but you could for example use only two NAND modules (OFW AND CFW) with 3 MicroSD cards. Due to the NAND detection, when selecting the third slot, DragonMMC will detect the absence of a NAND module in slot 3 and instead enable the NAND module in slot 2, but will still respect the selected MicroSD if it exists. So,m you could use MicroSD 1 for OFW, and MicroSD 2 and 3 for CFW, switching between them when you need to.
Yeah, I meant two CFW setups with each 512 gb micro sd card.

mattytrog

You don`t want to listen to anything I say.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Regarding repartitioning eMMCs, I am making modified versions of gptrestore.

The idea is to use the one corresponding to your chip size.

eg there will be versions for 16GB, 32(the standard one), 64, 128 and 256.

Just crunching the lz4 gpt prefix and suffix`s now. Might be done tonight, but more than likely tomorrow now.

MatinatorX

Hardware Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.dragoninjector.com
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, I meant two CFW setups with each 512 gb micro sd card.
Oh yeah, completely doable. Since they're just blank modules you can do whatever you want with them. If you have no need for OFW you could even run three separate CFW environments if you wanted, each with a dedicated MicroSD card.

Reactions: pLaYeR^^

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    the vram is one advantage when it comes to AI but ends up being slower even with that and really AI is the only use case that needs more than 12gb vram right now
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Interesting lol
    I think I watched a video where two games at 4K where eating just over 16GB of RAM and it's the one case where the 7900XT and XTX pulled ahead (minus RTX of course)
    So my opinion is that they could age a bit better in the future, and maybe AMD will continue improving them via drivers like they tend to do. No guarantee there but they have done it in the past. Just a feeling I have.
    cyberpunk at 4k without DLSS/fidelityfx *might* exceed 12gb
    +1
    but that game barely runs at native 4k
    I think it was some newer games and probably poorly optimized PS4 or PS5 ports
    they definitely will age better but i feel dlss might outweigh that since it looks about as good as native resolution and much less demanding
    +1
    When I played Cyberpunk on my old 2080 Ti it sucked lol
    AMD could introduce something comparable to DLSS but nvidia's got a lot more experience with that
    least amd 7xxx has tensor cores which the previous generations didn't so there is the potential for AI upscaling
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Tandem even
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to...