1. Hey everyone! Now that the DragonInjector shipments are well underway and arriving on doorsteps worldwide, I've finally had the time to sit down and tidy up the loose ends on my next crazy project idea.

This time, I set out to build the safest and most user-friendly way to switch between OFW, CFW, and Android/Linux that I could think of. For better or worse, after weeks of measuring, testing, and measuring again, I'm finally ready to show off... DragonMMC!

Before you get too excited, please be aware that the payload injection feature is currently not guaranteed. Due to the recent popularity of my projects and recent information I've been made aware of regarding TPM laws, I've decided to seek legal counsel as to the lawfulness of including this feature. It may be included, it may require an update after you receive it, or I may not support it at all. In such a case, the USB adapter would officially only be used for firmware updates for the DragonMMC, and modification of the device by any user to add additional functionality would not be supported. Discussion surrounding this would also be banned from any of my official channels. I do not support piracy and want to keep my projects legal!

DragonMMC_Mainboard.png

What the heck is it? Well, DragonMMC is an internal modchip that replaces the stock MicroSD and NAND boards, snapping in place and adding a little slide switch that lets you choose between up to 3 MicroSD cards and/or NAND modules. This slide switch protrudes slightly from the original MicroSD card slot, while a replacement kickstand (formerly known as DragonKicker) houses the MicroSD cards themselves. Installation does not require any soldering or modification to the shell of the console, but does requires some disassembly, and as of right now removing the heat shield is needed for everything to fit nicely. The kickstand is still thin enough that using the standard dock poses no problems. Prototype PCBs are being made right now, and I hope to have some proper photos and proof of concept videos in the coming weeks!

Now, while the primary purpose of DragonMMC is to easily switch between NAND modules and MicroSD cards, it can also be used to inject payloads! To that end, I've made a USB interface board that, through the magic of 3M 9703 conductive tape, sticks to the USB test points and allows payload injection with zero soldering required. Please not though, that at this time this hasn't been tested, so keep your expectations in check, at least for now! As with the DragonInjector, payloads are chainloaded from your MicroSD card(s).

NAND chips can get pretty pricey though, and not everyone needs 3 of them, nor do they necessarily need a whole 256GB to work with. To that end, DragonMMC was created to be modular, with 3 universal NAND module slots available. An adapter module for the OEM NAND makes it easy to use, while extra NAND modules of 64GB and 256GB are being developed right now. The modules are snap-in and also do not require any soldering. As of now, the only caveat to using the OEM NAND is that it's so big it needs to be relocated!

DragonMMC_Layout.png

Well gee, that's great and all, but how does everything actually work? Thanks to the inclusion of a SAMD21 MCU, NAND and MicroSD switching can be handled safely and efficiently. The MCU is powered from the NAND connector, and communicates with a trio of latching PMICs, which are really just glorified digital switches. When the console is powered on or rebooted, the MCU reads the position of the slide switch to determine what NAND and MicroSD should be enabled, then tells the PMICs which ones to turn on. Should the user select an unpopulated NAND module or an empty MicroSD slot, DragonMMC will scan backwards for the next populated slot and enable it instead. The slide switch can be moved at any time to indicate the desired NAND module/MicroSD card, which will then take effect the next time the console is rebooted or power cycled.

Coupled with payload injection, switching between OFW, CFW, or Android/Linux on the same console is now as easy as flicking a switch and rebooting. Inactive NAND modules/MicroSD cards are powered down and invisible to the console, making them undetectable to each other, completely separating all environments via hardware. DragonMMC can even detect the presence of the OEM NAND adapter and disallow payload injection to keep your OFW squeaky clean, no emuMMC needed.

DragonMMC is designed to have as little impact on battery life as possible/ Once the PMICs have been set and the payload injected, the MCU goes into sleep mode, with total power consumption sitting at around 100uA on average. Every 3 seconds it will wake up, quick flash the LEDs to indicate the active slots, check to make sure a MicroSD card hasn't been removed, and then resume sleeping. Over an 8 hour gaming session, DragonMMC will lessen your play time by about 2 seconds. Over 30 days of standby, it will will lessen your battery life by 16 hours. It can can also relinquish control to third-party modchips, via I2C or GPIO, by soldering to the exposed pads or more cleanly by using the FFC connector. All the software will be open source, and the hardware will be as well, though released later after release.

DragonMMC is still very much under development, and as I do actually learn lessons sometimes, there is no ETA, so please don't ask! As always, questions and feedback are very much appreciated! I will post updates here when I can, but if you're interested in more of the day-to-day progress, then feel free to join the Discord server using the link in my sig!

At this point in time, I'm not sure if this will become something I can offer others. For that matter, I haven't gotten the PCBs yet, so I don't even know if it will work. Even if it does, availability will depend on demand, so if you're interested be sure to let me know!

Thanks to everybody who helps support my crazy projects, you're all AWESOME! :lol:

EDIT: Almost forgot to mention, an eMMC to MicroSD card adapter is also part of this project, which is actually already finished and tested. It works with both the OEM NAND and the DragonMMC modules. I'm hoping to pursue some on-console solutions for NAND cloning/resizing/etc. but I'm not much of a software guy. :wtf:

2. Discussion (145 replies)

3. tinkle

tinkle taciturn shill girl

United States
    Well gosh, that sounds impeccable.

4. drbraun

drbraun Newbie
    Newcomer

Canada
    I am hella excited

MatinatorX likes this.
  5. Adran_Marit

Adran_Marit Walküre's Hacker

Australia
    For the record and we cannot stress this enough

THIS HAS NO SET RELEASE DATE

ds34, Alex658, Silent_Gunner and 5 others like this.
  6. TotalJustice

TotalJustice GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    This sounds fantastic!

Adran_Marit likes this.
  7. TariqSoftDev

TariqSoftDev ~Zexceil

Been waiting for the announcement for a while; now people can see the amazing work you do, you've helped my project so much too!

It's also awesome that ReLoad will be the first modchip to control it!

8. NitroCipher

NitroCipher GBAtemp's Resident Alchemist

United States
    I'm a bit confused. Would this require you to autoRCM your switch? Or does it have some way around that?

9. MatinatorX

OP MatinatorX DragonInjector Project Creator
    Developer

Canada
    It's not required, no. RCM can be entered in a few ways, including removing the NAND chip or powering it down completely. With a programmed delay on boot before a NAND is enabled, RCM can be entered without changing the NAND itself at all.

Jonhy, mikefor20 and TariqSoftDev like this.
  10. anotherswitchanon

Newcomer

United States
    Will you be selling a seperate heat shield to replace the stock one or is there plans to try to have everything fit without needing to remove the heat shield?

11. Andalitez

Andalitez GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Why isn't this front page news

Cookie__XD and Hmed like this.
  12. peteruk

peteruk GBAtemp Addict

1 word and 1 word only

WOW

Hmed and pandavova like this.
  13. masagrator

masagrator The developper

Poland
    This looks genius and I was waiting for option to connect eMMC in place of microsd slot. :grog:

14. MatinatorX

Developer

Canada
    I can't make any promises, but I am going to try to get custom heat shields made. I have no idea yet what the cost would be yet though - to get my own kickstand hinges made I think it ended up costing me around $500 for 1000, and a heat shield would be a lot more complex.

15. mikefor20

mikefor20 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Matty i can't wait to see the end product. Put me down for 2!

MatinatorX likes this.
  16. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Sweden
    @mattytrog " I'm hoping to pursue some on-console solutions for NAND cloning/resizing/etc. but I'm not much of a software guy" sounds like your time to shine ;P

17. swabbo

swabbo Wot u doin readin dis m8?

I think I just made a mess in my pants, this sounds incredible!

ds34 likes this.
  18. mattytrog

mattytrog You don`t want to listen to anything I say.

United Kingdom
    Why not?

Could add nand resizing features...

Let it parse a keys.txt file or something. Forget about it getting keys. Keys would need to be gotten by lockpick to avoid excess stack usage. Basically porting dd

zfreeman, Adran_Marit and peteruk like this.
  19. MatinatorX

Developer

Canada
    Good to see you again buddy. Out of curiosity, what modchips does SWITCHBOOT run on, and how many of them have I2C support?

Adran_Marit likes this.
  20. DuoForce

DuoForce GBAtemp Fan

United States
    This is so cool! I love the fact that it even has it's own case. This is looking good!

ds34 and MatinatorX like this.
  21. MatinatorX

Developer

Canada
    What do you mean by "it's own case"? :unsure:

Adran_Marit likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Solderless, DragonMMC, Kickstand