WIP DragonInjector - Game Cart Payload Injector (Trinket M0 Clone)

Discussion in 'Switch - Backup Loaders & Modchips' started by MatinatorX, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Dax_Fame

Dax_Fame Annoying Member

Jan 16, 2015
    United States
    Mom's house
    I would have no issues waiting for a molded shell, especially since I'm sure that first batch will go quickly.

The form factor makes too just sense... Even when you're playing your carts you can just pop it into your card carrier. There's no reason you wouldn't have it on you.

Sure, my jig and dongle are always in my carrying case but that's not nearly as cool!

2. Snomannen_kalle

Snomannen_kalle GBAtemp Regular

Sep 2, 2018
    Norway
    Yeah, I have a feeling they'll go like hot cakes. I have half a mind of waiting, like you, but I don't think I'll be able to hold back when it releases :P

3. MatinatorX
    OP

MatinatorX DragonInjector Project Creator

Jul 17, 2018
    Canada
    As far as 3D prints go, the UV resin prints from the Anycubic Photons I use are about as good detail-wise (and thus surface finish-wise) as you'll get. However, no 3D printing process is perfect yet. There are still support structure marks on one side of every printed part. I have to remove them with sandpaper, and can't always remove them completely. Additionally, UV cured resin is fairly brittle. While I wouldn't call it fragile, it's not nearly as tough as something like injection molded polycarbonate.

In a perfect world, I would have skipped the 3D printed shells altogether and just gone for injection molding from the start. However, as a hobbyist with limited funds, the $10k it would cost for the molds is simply out of my budget. Unfortunately, this means I can only offer 3D printed DragonInjectors until I have enough money saved for those molds. I'm doing everything I can to make the highest quality 3D printed shells possible, and they do work quite well, but I'm not going to profess that they're comparable to an injection molded shell. If you're expecting a perfect, pristine product with microscopic tolerances, I would wait and hope that the next batch of 400 3D printed DragonInjectors all find homes. If that happens, I should be able to have an injection molded version ready soon after.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

In other news, the latest versions of the bootloader and firmware were just finished, and Jerome is hard at work updating the configuration tool to support the new features. Attached is a quick mock-up of the new configuration panel. As always, if you aren't able or don't want to use the configuration tool, you can easily copy over the UF2 bootloader/firmware files to the DI yourself.

You can also configure the DragonInjector through the new CLI by pointing your terminal emulator of choice to the DI's USBSerial COM port.

Sources can be found at http://source.dragoninjector.com/

If anyone with homebrew development experience is interesting in helping to develop a homebrew app for DragonInjector configuration in return for a DragonInjector or two, please get in touch! The only condition is that it needs to be open source so other modchip developers can make use of it.

Work and responsibilities have kept me pretty busy the last couple of weeks but I'm still working hard on finishing the next batch of 400. I'm about 75% done now, so not long left.

Attached Files:

Last edited by MatinatorX, Nov 7, 2019
    ghjfdtg, ioann1s, Dax_Fame and 3 others like this.
  4. Dax_Fame

Dax_Fame Annoying Member

Jan 16, 2015
    United States
    Mom's house
    @MatinatorX thanks for weighing in on the concerns, being real about it and the progress update!

I'm sure the quality of these prints is more than acceptable or you wouldn't be shipping them out, lest you get a bad rep for poor quality.
    I'm a sucker for aesthetics so I'll just have to be patient :P

5. laramie

laramie GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 15, 2014
    United States
    when can we order from that 400 batch? and do we have an option with colors? I liked the green.

6. MockyLock

MockyLock GBAtemp Regular

Apr 21, 2011
    France
    Going more and more interested !
    Waiting for order to open :)

linuxares likes this.
  7. delta123

delta123 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 18, 2005
    Hyougo, Japan
    I am looking forward to this too. especially now I have lost a few items here and there.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted