WIP DragonInjector - Game Cart Payload Injector (Trinket M0 Clone)

Discussion in 'Switch - Backup Loaders & Modchips' started by MatinatorX, Jul 18, 2018.

1. MatinatorX
    OP

MatinatorX DragonInjector Project Creator

Jul 17, 2018
    Canada
    Unfortunately the fees Amazon charges are quite high and I would have to increase the price of the DragonInjector on that platform as a result. It may happen some day, but right now I'm happy with Fulfilify.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

It will yeah, but it won't require soldering and will come with all the tools needed along with detailed instructions. You will be required to remove the back cover of your Switch (5 screws) and swap the OEM MicroSD board with the DragonKicker board, however they use a snap-in connector so it's pretty easy to do. The DragonMMC will be much the same, however due to the shape of the OEM heat shield it has to be removed or modified, which is an important thing to consider.

LonelyPhantom likes this.
  2. LonelyPhantom

LonelyPhantom Narcissistic Nihilist

Mar 26, 2017
    United States
    The End of Time
    Yeah, I was worried about soldering so that is nice to hear we wont need to do that to install this; however the heat shield removal part concerns me as fullspeed N64 emulation requires Overclocking to 1750 and the battery is already terrible enough as it is in handheld mode.... That said, perhaps this mod may be of interest to you, and maybe down the road you could offer the DragonKicker Install+Liquid Metal Cooling mod to compensate for the removal of the heat shield (I for one would definitely pay for a service like that).

3. MatinatorX
    OP

Jul 17, 2018
    Canada
    It's only the DragonMMC that requires anything be done to the heat shield, if all you want is the Kicker then no removal or modification will be required. :P

I think liquid metal is something most users should stay far away from, when done right it can help for sure, however it's a real pain to apply if it's your first time. Very high risk of liquid metal going where it shouldn't, and it's extremely hard to completely remove it. If the demand is there, I'd be more likely to just get custom heat shields made. Stamped metal is pretty cheap.

4. LonelyPhantom

LonelyPhantom Narcissistic Nihilist

Mar 26, 2017
    United States
    The End of Time
    Lol, yeah sorry I meant the DragonMMC. Yeah, I am no engineer I am more of a finance guy personally ,so if something is too involved/risky and not practical to self teach then 8/10 times I will defer to a professional; That said, your idea sounds like a much better solution and I would definitely feel more comfortable getting the DragonMMC installed if it could be bundled with a Custom Heat Shield.

Until then, I will be keeping an eye out on your work, it's really incredible what you have done so far =).

MatinatorX likes this.
  5. wurstpistole

wurstpistole I got 8 warning points

Nov 19, 2015
    Gambia, The
    It is only a piece of plastic that holds a few microSDs. It does not allow you to mount them as memory, and switch between them on-the-fly. Although that would be quite epic, I'll give you that.

6. fragged

fragged GBAtemp Regular

Jun 19, 2018
    United States
    The original idea was just to hold your SD cards, but it has turned into something much better. From #FAQ of his Discord channel:
    So this would let you have your main SD card, a 2nd one for Lakka, and a 3rd for Android all built right into the kickstand.

7. wurstpistole

wurstpistole I got 8 warning points

Nov 19, 2015
    Gambia, The
    the what now
    how could i miss this

but it requires an internal mod right, so only for people who can solder

8. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    I spoke with Matty and Matin about "solderless" before in another errand. There is no way for now to make a "clip" version for the Switch. Unfortunately, it's more advanced compared to the Wii.

I see you speak about the DragonMMC, in theory it's just to copy the original and create and "switch" or such on a custom backplate so you can easily switch between them.
    [​IMG]

9. MatinatorX
    OP

Jul 17, 2018
    Canada
    No soldering required, it will be a snap-in replacement for the existing MicroSD daughter board. :)

Same with the multi-NAND chip, except the heat shield is form-fitted to 1 NAND chip so it needs trimming or removal.

DayVeeBoi likes this.
  10. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    Put me up for a pre-order on both ;)

EDIT: You should totally edit your "GBAtemp regular" to like DragonInjector creator or such.

laramie, MatinatorX and DayVeeBoi like this.
  11. Adran_Marit

Adran_Marit Walküre's Hacker

Oct 3, 2015
    Australia
    42*South
    Dunno if thats going to happen but main release shipping prices should be alot lower than those with the tester/early bird units

Yes and no.

The original kicker which had the .stl released only held the sd cards. To install this version you just swap the bracket over and install a 3mm magnet into it.

The new and improved one you insert the sd cards and will be able to switch between them using a switch that will be on a modded microSD board. The kicker would be connected to the modded board via a thin ribbon cable if I'm remembering correctly. Well that's the general gist of the new designed one

edit: disregard this... GBATemp didn't load properly to show there were already replies

Last edited by Adran_Marit, Oct 8, 2019
    DayVeeBoi and LonelyPhantom like this.
  12. Withpaine

Withpaine Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 30, 2018
    United States
    Has this released yet? So which discord should I be following. I’m really excited about this

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Has this been released yet? Also, which discord do I need to be follow for this. I don’t want to miss if I haven’t already

13. Adran_Marit

Adran_Marit Walküre's Hacker

Oct 3, 2015
    Australia
    42*South

Not yet, but soon the early bird release stuff has been done, if you click the image in my signature it will take you to the correct discord.

DayVeeBoi likes this.
  14. IPLbug

IPLbug GBAtemp Regular

Jun 6, 2018
    United States
    Under Your bed stealing your data
    will it require to still turn off the console everytime you swap sd cards? or will it trick the console into thinking the sd hasnt been removed and just change the read out to the sd your swapping to?

15. MatinatorX
    OP

Jul 17, 2018
    Canada
    Right now I'm going to say that this will still require powering off the console. Technically, as long as you don't switch to a MicroSD card slot without an SD card in it, your Switch won't know you swapped the card as the "detect" line will remain unbroken. However, as far as I know no one has ever tested hotswapping memory cards this way and I'm pretty sure it will just cause massive problems.

16. OrGoN3

OrGoN3 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 23, 2007
    United States
    I was just going to mention. The Switch won't know the cards were swapped and it will still attempt to access the data from the previous card. If any cache is missing or files are different, it'll freak.

Just reboot to hekate or argon and switch your sd card.

MatinatorX likes this.
  17. IPLbug

IPLbug GBAtemp Regular

Jun 6, 2018
    United States
    Under Your bed stealing your data
    let me refrase my question if you have 3 sd cards in the kicker slots will it read all 3 at the same time when using it or just 1 at a time causing to have to reboot every time ? as making it to read all 3 at the same time seems like a better way of doing it with a controller as a middle man to give the read out of combine storage to the switch as just 1 card in the slot and it would make this way more appealing as you could have games on one card emulation on another and a OS on the last making it so no matter the situation your covered and it would be seen as just 1 card so there be no need to reboot

Last edited by IPLbug, Oct 17, 2019
  18. chippy

chippy GBAtemp Regular

Dec 21, 2017
    Australia
    I believe it will only read 1 at a time. This is so sd1 is stock os, Sd2 is cfw and sd3 is android or what not. So each is can't see each other making it tottaly invis from each other

19. MatinatorX
    OP

Jul 17, 2018
    Canada
    It will indeed just be 1 card at a time, with each card being dedicated to a specific NAND if you're using DragonMMC.

Doing "Raid 0" with the MicroSD slots is inadvisable. It will dramatically increase the cost and footprint of the DragonKicker, and reliability go down. If one of your 3 MicroSD cards gets lost or damaged, all your data is gone. You would also not be able to swap out a single MicroSD card without backing up the whole array somehow and restoring it. I can see the benefits but in my opinion the detriments far outweigh them.

That said all my projects are open source upon release, so if anyone else really wants to try...

ioann1s and RHOPKINS13 like this.
  20. chippy

chippy GBAtemp Regular

Dec 21, 2017
    Australia
    What about raid 1? ( the mirroring one... think it's 1 but thought it was 0 for some reasion... been awhile I covered it all at uni)

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted