WIP DragonInjector - Game Cart Payload Injector (Trinket M0 Clone)

Discussion in 'Switch - Backup Loaders & Modchips' started by MatinatorX, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Adran_Marit

Adran_Marit Walküre's Hacker

Oct 3, 2015
    Australia
    42*South
    But yeah discord is best place to get latest information

2. Adran_Marit

Oct 3, 2015
    Australia
    42*South
    Just an update on things, some stuff for ver16 is shipping along with new stickers

upload_2019-4-4_13-23-44.

Hopefully, with this news, ver16 boards will be shipped out soon.

Brackets are also been looked into for the Dragon Kicker, I believe some samples are on the way

About Board Revision Version 16

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Images and renders of Ver16 board and Kickstand bracket

Attached Files:

1.jpg
      File size:
      74.4 KB
      Views:
      2.jpg
      File size:
      199.5 KB
      Views:
      3.jpg
      File size:
      274.4 KB
      Views:
      4.jpg
      File size:
      234.6 KB
      Views:
      5.jpg
      File size:
      289.4 KB
      Views:
      6.jpg
      File size:
      98.8 KB
      Views:
      7.jpg
      File size:
      93.1 KB
      Views:
      8.jpg
      File size:
      103 KB
      Views:
      9.jpg
      File size:
      88 KB
      Views:
      10.jpg
      File size:
      215.2 KB
      Views:
      11.png
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
      12.png
      File size:
      821.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by Adran_Marit, Apr 4, 2019
    dc9884, Maupiti, SavagePR and 4 others like this.
  3. Clockdryve

Clockdryve Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 10, 2019
    United States
    Sooo.....vaporware or what? Better wrap them up and ship them out - before China beat you too it.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Picture look of item look real nice and clean work area. Please HURRY :-) Maybe text me too - I buy 3 or 4!!!

4. MatinatorX
    OP

MatinatorX GBAtemp Regular

Jul 17, 2018
    Canada
    Jigs arrived today, my week is pretty loaded but worst case I'll get to then Friday and have all weekend. Hoping to get to it sooner than that though, will post the results here. On the home stretch now. :D

5. Scried

Scried Member

Newcomer
    May 3, 2017
    Netherlands
    Is the Discord still open? I'm getting a Invalid Invite error.

6. MatinatorX
    OP

Jul 17, 2018
    Canada
    Let me know if this one works: https://discord.gg/sBYJTEv

7. Cheshy

Cheshy Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 14, 2019
    Australia
    This looks really good. Gotta say the pic of it in your signature looks a lot better than some of the ugly dongles out there. Waiting on this so I don't end up buying two payload injectors, lol

MatinatorX likes this.
  8. Scried

Scried Member

Newcomer
    May 3, 2017
    Netherlands
    Yes, that one worked just fine. Sorry for my late reply though

MatinatorX likes this.
  9. MatinatorX
    OP

Jul 17, 2018
    Canada
    Small update, I received the copper foil stickers for the battery positive terminals this week, and the new BGA jigs were shipped out today. Once I get them, I should be able to finish a V16 and do a bit of testing. Assuming it works, pictures will follow, as well as another "world's most boring livestream" where I test how many injections can be achieved on a single battery.

For those following in the DragonKicker project, a sample of the custom hinges I ordered should ship this week as well, and the screws for them arrived last week.

Mouser X likes this.
  10. ConraDargo

ConraDargo Flashback Fanatic

Dec 29, 2003
    Sweden
    Oooh so this one's finally just about done now and ready for shipping?? I had completely forgot about it but I'm glad that it sprung to my mind just now! ^^ I just might replace my current RCM Loader with this one! Looks really good :D

mikefor20 likes this.
  11. mikefor20

mikefor20 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 12, 2009
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    How about a product to make on the go HDD easy? Maybe a SATA to USB adapter and a shell containing the HDD to snap on the switch? Could have SD holder, a USB hub. And a better kickstand? Maybe even GameCube ports like the mock up for switch 2? Could have HDMI out and a charging port. Or a battery pack?

Something like this but with a HDD capability? Maybe a HDD bay to protect the drive?
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A827XHM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_D6R0CbCQ1AVP1

I would really like to take my HDD or SDD on the go with my console safely and easily.
    And with atmos impending USB storage the market will be large.

Other features would be a bonus!

Last edited by mikefor20, May 9, 2019
    Sammy_Lee likes this.
  12. Clockdryve

Newcomer
    Mar 10, 2019
    United States
    No update for almost a month....we still good?

13. MatinatorX
    OP

Jul 17, 2018
    Canada
    Still alive, yes. :P

Sorry for the lack of updates, it's been a busy month. As far as the project goes, despite a ton of effort, I've been unable to get the BGA chips soldered myself, even with the jigs I had custom made. I think they're just a bit too small for me to work with. They either weren't adhering properly to the pads, or bridging under the pads when I tried to tap them or add a tiny bit of pressure. I wasted a lot of hours under the microscope doing everything I could think of to seat the chips properly to no avail. It was pretty discouraging to not be able to get even one board soldered so I took a few days away from the project to think on it. I've decided to just bite the bullet and get them made professionally.

I've just sent off a PCBA order to PCBWay to get 15 boards made by them. It they come back and everything is good, I'll be able to place an order with them for as many boards as I need. The upside to this is that I should be able to keep up with demand much more easily. They can deliver 500 boards or more a month. The downside is that I will likely have to add $2 to the sale price to offset the cost of getting the boards made by someone else. It's just a little too expensive for me to eat the entire manufacturing cost myself.

Lead time is estimated at 2-3 weeks but of course with overseas companies, it's hard to really know for sure. I'll notify everyone as soon as the boards arrive.

Last edited by MatinatorX, May 13, 2019
  14. stick267

stick267 GBAtemp Fan

Dec 17, 2018
    United States
    $2 increase isn't bad at all. Thanks for the update.

ConraDargo, Clockdryve and Mouser X like this.
  15. Adran_Marit

Oct 3, 2015
    Australia
    42*South
    Small update from the discord

upload_2019-5-13_17-9-11.

ConraDargo and lieder1987 like this.
  16. chippy

chippy GBAtemp Regular

Dec 21, 2017
    Australia
    Yeah matinatorx posted that a little earler but thanks for keeping us lazy people (I'm in the discord but hardly check it) up to date

17. Adran_Marit

Oct 3, 2015
    Australia
    42*South
    I've been half out of the scene lately due to life, didnt date check when the last post here was lol

18. Triptamine

Triptamine Member

Newcomer
    Jun 25, 2018
    Australia
    I'm more invested in this than the software side of things (both homebrew and games). It's just been so much fun watching this ambitious project mature over time with MatinatorX himself. Sometimes giant leaps forward with novel ideas, sometimes setbacks and the compromises needded to continue (which were suprisingly few; Matinator is a perfectionist).

I really should look at the software side of things more often but I love following this adventure.

Adran_Marit likes this.
  19. Clockdryve

Newcomer
    Mar 10, 2019
    United States
    Excellent....and fair price most favorable :grog: :switch:

20. MatinatorX
    OP

Jul 17, 2018
    Canada
    Thanks so much for the kind words! They are very humbling. :shy:

Quick update, after some back and forth regarding component sourcing and assembly details, PCBWay is now manufacturing 15 boards as tester units. Since they are being made professionally, they should be of high quality, and I opted to have them apply a conformal coating as well to further the enhance the design. I've attached a picture of where the conformal coating will be applied. The advantages of the conformal coating are:

-Waterproofing.
    -High structural integrity for components.
    -No ill-effects if you happen to touch the component area during injection.

Combined with the ENIG finish and low power consumption, you should be able to put the DI through a couple of wash cycles and only need to let it dry and change the battery to get it working again 100%, since gold doesn't rust or tarnish, the payload button is sealed, and all the components will be under the conformal coating.

I wanted to get 25 tester boards made, but PCBWay does not break apart the v-cuts to solder components, so I had to go with 15 boards per panel to make room for USB connector cutouts. Ordering more than one panel didn't make much sense until I know everything tests okay, at which point I'll be ordering probably 600 boards (since multiples of 15) to get through all the Tindie wishlist adds.

It's slow progress, but it's still progress. :lol:

Attached Files:

chippy, Adran_Marit, stick267 and 2 others like this.