Hacking DEAD [Shutdown]DragonInjector - Game Cart Payload Injector (Trinket M0 Clone)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Yep I'm signed up on Tindie, just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything. Thanks.

MatinatorX said:
I will be posting an announcement soon regarding the project, I have V14 green test units ready to go out with black arrive in today and could ship them out this week
But a new V16 was developed that solved a lot of the problems with the V14
So it might end up being the one that gets stocked

MatinatorX

Hardware Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.dragoninjector.com
XP
Country
Canada
Looks like it's a good time for a quick update then!

As @Adran_Marit mentioned, V14 tester units are ready to go. However, I've finally found a solution to the things that bothered me about V14 and earlier. New V16 has:

1) CR1612 instead of CR1216 means 33-60% more battery life, and I can use a 0.8mm thick board, which is what the Type C connector is designed for. This is made possible by...
2) WLCSP35 package ATSAMD21. The size of this package, and a reduction to the size of other components, means all components can now fit on the top. Which means...
3) Turnkey China assembly is now a possibility. With this design, building DIs should take half the time it would have with V14, but if I can't keep up, I can now outsource.
4) Fully enclosed battery. Now, there is no possibility for a leaky battery to damage anything. Replacement requires removal of 4 Philips screws. Philips screwdrivers will be provided with each DI.
5) Hall effect switch for reset button means payload switching is still possible, and is the only button you will see. Firmware updates can be done by plugging the DI into a computer and waving a small magnet in the top right corner twice. This also means a bigger button than before, and no plastic bits for them, which means...
6) With no button plastic and 4 screws holding the PCB, the case has now been tweaked to suit injection molding, and the cost of molding has been reduced by 40%. This increases the chance the DI will one day be injection molded.
7) USB VCC power is back, preventing battery drain while updating firmware.
8) Maybe this is subjective, but I think the DI is starting to look less like a hobby project and more like a consumer device with V16.

I know it's unfortunate to change things so close to release, since V14 was tested and working great, but this is a passion project partly designed to see just what I can accomplish. I can't be happy with V14 if a better design can work, and I don't want to disappoint anyone who buys a V14 with a new model so soon after release. The delays should be minimal, as the V16 boards are already being made, and the components are already in the mail. If the V16 doesn't work out, V14 is already working and will ship to testers. I have enough components and boards on my kitchen table to do a few hundred V14 DIs. I would not be turning away from them if I didn't think the V16 was worth it.

You can get a look at the V16 board here: https://a360.co/2DSVQnH

As always, the Discord server is the best place to keep up with updates.

Thanks everyone for all the support! V14 or V16, it won't be long now!

Last edited by MatinatorX,

laramie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is the v16 able to update to such a state in the future? Like have an update that will allow you to charge the internal battery within the switch gc? If not that's okay too but I knew it was talked about but wasn't sure if it needed a new reversion.

codyjo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Really looking forward to the release of this project. It looks to be the most convenient and streamlined injector out there. The fact that it's developed in Canada also tickles me!

MatinatorX

Hardware Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.dragoninjector.com
XP
Country
Canada
is the v16 able to update to such a state in the future? Like have an update that will allow you to charge the internal battery within the switch gc? If not that's okay too but I knew it was talked about but wasn't sure if it needed a new reversion.

No, this isn't possible as there's no battery this size that can fit properly. There a small chance I can fit a 200815 lipo in, but this is no longer something I'm pursuing. The cost would be double thanks to the lipo and associated circuity, and it would be impossible to ship with little to no benefit. Once the lipo was end of life, your DragonInjector would be too. It would also be extremely costly to be certified for sale in most countries. With the current version I can get CE certification easily and relatively cheaply.

With the switch to a CR1612, it's expected we will see over 2000 injections on a single battery. That's 5 injections a day for a year. Even the most demanding users should have a few months of battery. The standby time of button cell batteries is measured in years, and leakage is the lowest among battery types. With these factors in mind, I really don't see any advantage to a rechargeable variant and it would come with considerable compromises. This is why I no longer have plans for a rechargeable version. The current V16 meets all of the design goals I had for the project. 20 years from now I want to be able to dig a DI out of the closet, pop in a fresh CR1612 and have it just work. :)

Last edited by MatinatorX,

stick267

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CR1612 batteries are only like 2 bucks anyway. Even if you had to change the battery once per month (which obviously isn't the case) that wouldn't be a big deal.

Reactions: Deleted User

laramie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, this isn't possible as there's no battery this size that can fit properly. There a small chance I can fit a 200815 lipo in, but this is no longer something I'm pursuing. The cost would be double thanks to the lipo and associated circuity, and it would be impossible to ship with little to no benefit. Once the lipo was end of life, your DragonInjector would be too. It would also be extremely costly to be certified for sale in most countries. With the current version I can get CE certification easily and relatively cheaply.

With the switch to a CR1612, it's expected we will see over 2000 injections on a single battery. That's 5 injections a day for a year. Even the most demanding users should have a few months of battery. The standby time of button cell batteries is measured in years, and leakage is the lowest among battery types. With these factors in mind, I really don't see any advantage to a rechargeable variant and it would come with considerable compromises. This is why I no longer have plans for a rechargeable version. The current V16 meets all of the design goals I had for the project. 20 years from now I want to be able to dig a DI out of the closet, pop in a fresh CR1612 and have it just work. :)
Thank you! I knew that it was an idea but now I know why it's off the table, good call lol. I know imma need one in each color so keep em coming please :)

Triptamine

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Looks like it's a good time for a quick update then!

As @Adran_Marit mentioned, V14 tester units are ready to go. However, I've finally found a solution to the things that bothered me about V14 and earlier. New V16 has:

...1-8...
Thanks everyone for all the support! V14 or V16, it won't be long now!

Matinator you are really getting amazing at this! The passion I've seen since I started following this project is amazing. Always looking for any slight improvements then ending up blowing my mind with how ambitious you are and just how much you have built this into such an insanely great project, from the small increments that bring it closer to your perfect design to completely reorganising when you find new ways to incorporate parts or better use space.

Hell, even if I wasn't planning on buying one or two, I'd still be following your progress because it makes me happy just seeing how much love and ingenuity has gone and continues to go in. This update perfectly exemplifies that.

Cheers ^^, the scene is incredibly lucky to have you. I hope you're having fun!

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hey, how's it goin? I think the discord invite link has expired (or I'm banned?), is there another besides the one in your sig or in the original post?

My sig has a working link to the server, you're not banned, sooo yeah, click the big part of my sig and you should be asked to join

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Sup nerds