Dragon Quest XI S will have a demo available before release, save progress will carry over

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Pipistrele

Pipistrele GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2019
    Russia
    Huh, I see. Regional differences then, I suppose - gaming magazines didn't catch on in Eastern Europe until early 2000s, and most of the demons I've encountered on Russian mags were more of either shareware casual stuff or stand-alone previews of big budget titles. Always interesting to dig into how industry worked in other nations, so I appreciate the insight! .u.

2. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Game looks awesome, and having a 16-bit mode makes it all the more appealing to my tastes :P Definitely getting.

3. YuseiFD

YuseiFD GBAtemp Regular

Jul 6, 2016
    Watch the gameplay after release, not before release.

4. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.

GBAtemp Patron
    x65943 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    I was specifically replying to this

"i have never ever in my entire life seen someone refund a game because he didn't like the gameplay."

My rebuttal was tons of people returned the game because of bad gameplay.

5. YuseiFD

YuseiFD GBAtemp Regular

Jul 6, 2016
    trciked by prerelease footage m8, again, demos is for testing usually, the demonstration part is only exclusives, DQ11 has been out for ages, people know how it's played, this is only to shut fans up because the game took forever to be released on the switch.

6. awesomehero

awesomehero GBAtemp Regular

Nov 3, 2010
    United States
    But aren't the puff-puff massages just a joke that involves two slimes? Or is that just for the PS2 games?

7. YuseiFD

YuseiFD GBAtemp Regular

Jul 6, 2016
    in the jap version is a tiddiz massage, in the localized version, it's a slime massage in the dark, now sony wants to literally remove the boob joke from the franchise.

8. BORTZ

BORTZ The Amazing

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    >Is sad

Somehow my PS4 copy is now the worst possible version of the game.
    -no way to patch in the orchestrated OST
    -no word on the character DLC
    -no way we in Sony land will get the 2D version added on

What the hell, Square?
    Well i can't complain all that much, I have a Switch and will get the game again. But what about those without a second console? This is just mean.

Zense, CallmeBerto and Bladexdsl like this.
  9. DiJornios

DiJornios DiJiorno

May 18, 2018
    United States
    I think you and I know what most game company's are chasing now, (Hint: It's not consumer satisfaction)

Subtle Demise likes this.
  10. DBlaze

DBlaze I don't know what i'm doing.

Nov 15, 2006
    Netherlands
    I'm just curious how the performance will be

cyb0rg likes this.
  11. Subtle Demise

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    I thought this released ages ago. Wow. I was thinking the delay would be a few months, but it's been at least a year.

12. Zense

Zense GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 20, 2008
    Italy
    From what I've heard it probably is. It is less traditional compared to the previous games in many aspects, giving you some quality of life changes. Also the last home console mainline Dragon Quest game was 8 for the PS2, and though it might be my favorite, I would say go with the newest one that is in HD. Here's to hoping DQVIII gets a HD remaster and not just 3DS/Phone port.

I would say your only other option for first Dragon Quest game is either play the ones on 3DS or Dragon Quest VIII either on PS2 with good component cables, through the PCSX2 PS2 emulator or I guess through a PS3, though I don't know how compatability for this game is. The safest and most consistent way of experiencing it would be on the PS2 of course.

As much as I love the older ones I would only recommend to someones else if know they enjoy pixelated sprites etc.

Actually you could play the japan only PS2 version of Dragon Quest V and apply the translation patch. There's even a film coming based on Dragon Quest V so that's an incentive to play through it. Can't say I know much about the PS2 version of DQV since I only played it on DS. The symphonic soundtrack is amazing though.

Looking at footage from it, it does look pretty bare bones. Almost like how I would imagine a direct translation of a 16 bit game over to a 6th gen console would look. Like how people are constantly moving/walking in place. Here's videos of DQV and VIII running on PS2 emulator PCSX2 so you can judge for yourself:
    You can still get the internet stuff (which was basically DLC) by using one of the many alternatives to WFC. NDS-Constraint can be used without flashcard or action replay.

Also, the multiplayer was local only for this game, and that of course still works.

My Mega Drive says High Definition, so I take it 224p/240p is HD too? Honestly, I can't wait until we leave the whole HD name behind us. More people say 4K and 8K rather than saying Ultra HD, in my experience anyways.

Last edited by Zense, Aug 5, 2019
    MythicalData likes this.
  13. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    Dragon Quest VIII involves considerately a lot more grinding. his better to play this 1st it's not as bad and if he finds it too easy you can activate the Draconian Quest modes next play through.

Last edited by Bladexdsl, Aug 5, 2019
  14. wurstpistole

wurstpistole I got 8 warning points

Nov 19, 2015
    Gambia, The
    The 16bit Mode is in here?

Last edited by wurstpistole, Aug 6, 2019
  15. Zense

Apr 20, 2008
    Italy
    Yes, you can see it in the trailer for switch. - Together with the PS4 modern version, naturally.

Last edited by Zense, Aug 6, 2019
  16. kevin corms

kevin corms GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 21, 2015
    Canada
    Its fantastic, but if youre a series vet I recommend atleast making the monsters harder using draconion settings.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Its the easiest one to get into.

Zense likes this.
  17. Zense

Apr 20, 2008
    Italy
    I guess I'll take that advice for when I finally decide to play it. Would've been sweet if the PC version got official support for the Orchestrated OST rather than just the midi one. I'm not sure if I'd buy a Switch just for this version, even if it is tempting.

18. TerminatR

TerminatR Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 21, 2006
    Canada
    This guy is thinking of benchmark testing for PCs which effectively grades your hardware. He is using the word demo because it demonstrates what your 'rig' (I hate thst term) is capable of.

Completely off base for this discussion tbough obviously, as others have already stated.

Last edited by TerminatR, Aug 6, 2019
  19. kevin corms

kevin corms GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 21, 2015
    Canada
    The mod is super easy to install, I bought it on pc and installed the mod thats linked right on its steam page.

Zense likes this.
  20. YukidaruPunch

YukidaruPunch Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 24, 2017
    Brazil
    You already got a rather improved version over the original - US PS4 version features both the Dragovian modes, which make the game harder, as well as numerous QoL and gameplay changes. The original japanese version didn't even have a dub!

The fact it's a premium release rather than a standalone DLC feels weird to us because the game was released over a year later around here. So while the western PS4 release still feels like it was just another day, in Japan it's already a 2 year old game. Nintendo payed for benefits and bonus content to convince buyers to rebuy another version of the game given that the PS4 one is already rather old and be found easily in used game stores, which are plentiful over there. If you're running a business, you have to give reasons for the consumer to spend money.

That's why.