Dragon Quest XI delisted on Steam and PSN following release of DQ XI S: Definitive Edition

header.jpg

If, for whatever reason, you ever wanted to purchase the the original digital release of Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age, you will no longer be able to do so. Square Enix has delisted the game on both Steam and the PlayStation Store, following the release of Dragon Quest XI S: Definitive Edition. The new version, which initially was a timed Nintendo Switch exclusive, was ported over to the new platforms on December 4th, and added much more content, including a 2D mode, battle speed multipliers, an orchestrated version of the soundtrack, and more. While this seems like a sensible choice, the original Dragon Quest XI features better textures and graphical detail, as it wasn't designed for the lower-spec'd Nintendo Switch like the Definitive Edition was.

On the left is the PC version of Dragon Quest XI S: Definitive Edition, while the image on the right is the same area in the 2018 PC release of Dragon Quest XI.

El6X7huWMAEJXvf.jpg El6X7idXUAAHbkz.jpg
For those bothered by the changes, there is a possibility of modders re-adding the old graphics to the PC version, or you can simply play the physical release of the original on PlayStation 4.

Notice: At the request of the publisher, DRAGON QUEST® XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age™ - Digital Edition of Light is unlisted on the Steam store and will not appear in search.

:arrow: Source

PatrickD85

Trophies
Website
www.nintendoreporters.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I get the logic (don't compete with yourself) but do agree it is a dubious move from a game history perspective. Once more I get to join a chorus of "this is what you get when you allow your downloadable games to be DRM laden and not generally able to be resold".

You must have been having a break from gaming for the last 15 or so years.
I could go and wax poetic about where once ports released to later devices might have been expected to fix a bug, add a bit of content, shine up some graphics or otherwise add some kind of value beyond not having to fetch the old device then... I am having a debate between *points at Silent Hill HD collection*, *points at Skyrim releases on later devices still having bugs trivially fixed by modders years before*, *points at Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered* and *points at Halo: The Master Chief Collection*.

Perhaps it's just more of a point from, where have I been gaming.
My latest system have been Nintendo Switch, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Wii ... I have had a brief let't try to game on my Mac phase. But I did not game on the other major platforms ... so that might explain things a bit.

Starting tomorrow ill be the first time in a long time I have a non Nintendo console in my possession (Xbox Series X).
My last non Nintendo consoles has been a Playstation 2 for quick reference.

But I see, so definitive is not always close to best ;)

Last edited by PatrickD85,
Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Seems like an oversight, the game is UE4, which is a multiplatform tool. Although I dont think the graphics look significantly different.

Sundree

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was actually going to pick this game up, but I saw that the Steam version makes use of Denuvo. Sorry, I don't wan't DRM in my jrpg plz. thx lol

Reactions: atoxique

megabug7

Forum Relic
Trophies
XP
Country
With the Shadow of the Tomb Raider you could purchase the upgrade to the Definitive Edition rather than buying the full game (so my Croft Edition became the Definitive Edition)

However there is no upgrade to the Dragon Quest XI S: Definitive Edition and Square Enix want me to repurchase the game rather than offering existing owners the upgrade.

I think that's outrageous

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the Shadow of the Tomb Raider you could purchase the upgrade to the Definitive Edition rather than buying the full game (so my Croft Edition became the Definitive Edition)

However there is no upgrade to the Dragon Quest XI S: Definitive Edition and Square Enix want me to repurchase the game rather than offering existing owners the upgrade.

I think that's outrageous
It is outrageous. No upgrade option and the new one looks like trash visually. Square really messed this up. The new content is nice, but it's crazy to call this the Definitive Edition looking as it does. I do have the original on PS4, but kind of wish I had got the Steam version for modding possibilities now. What bullshit.

Worldblender

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If someone can help me please:
Is there a Way to give my Dragon Quest XI Game from Steam to another User ? Maybe someone have now more Fun with this Game.

Thank you.:)
I would like this copy if I find out how to gift games. I would need to look this up. Feel free to private message me if needed.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I would like this copy if I find out how to gift games. I would need to look this up. Feel free to private message me if needed.
You can't give away/trade games in your library on Steam. The only way to do that would be to share accounts, and I expect he won't want to give you his login details.

xdarkx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Like the other guys, would be great if we can get an option to upgrade for having bought the original version. But according to some of the guys here, I can't complaint which I don't get why since this would not affect in any way, shape or form those who are buying or planing to buy the DE version.

D

Deleted User

Can you give me a name that I can actually read? I'm looking for something more like...mmm... Super Hyper Kaze no Ultimate Dragon + Quest HD XI S 1.5 + 2.8 : Definitive Special GAME OF THE YEAR Edition Final ReMix Chapter Prologue

Worldblender

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By looking at the Steam page, it seems most of the graphical differences have already been remedied for the most part with simple .ini changes.
You can elaborate on what specifically needs to be done? Maybe this could save me from having to hunt for more data files that now cannot be legitimately acquired anymore. (assets from the original DQ XI).

Justin20020

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I dont see any difference of the original one which I played it on the ps4. I bought the DQ XI S version today and I really dont see any difference of the graphics at all

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Just 6 but dual band 6 lol