Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) VERY happy this game did NOT get canceled on the Wii

2) Very happy that this game will have a MMO feel

3) Extremely happy that this game will be cross platform between Wii and WiiU

4) Never played a Dragon Quest game in before (not that I can remember, there was that one NES game that had a blue cart but I need to research...) I WILL be playing this game on my Wii
biggrin.gif

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's an interesting idea, but seeing Nintendo's track record with online games...

I'm not holding my breath for this one.

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never finished a Dragon Quest game before. I guess it's because Akira Toriyama's style, it bores me... everything looks like dragon ball to me. Maybe I’m the only person on earth that doesn’t like him.

But I can’t judged the game if I haven’t played it. I'm glad that it's still for Wii, I like the idea of a mix between story and MMO gameplay.

I will give it a try... but with Xenoblade, Zelda this year.... The Last Story, Pandora's Tower next year... and of course... my life lol, I doubt I will have the time to play it.

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Satangel said:
Ergo said:
It's 100% completable offline.
You sure about that? Got a source. Would make my day and disappointment a lot better
yaywii.gif

It's the same as DQ IX. But it'll be worse, as your party will be CPU controlled.

QUOTE(LightyKD @ Sep 5 2011, 12:24 PM)

4) Never played a Dragon Quest game in before (not that I can remember, there was that one NES game that had a blue cart but I need to research...) I WILL be playing this game on my Wii
biggrin.gif
So you're basically liking because it's Nintendo...

MigueelDnd

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
This doesn't look so good, fans seem really disappointed(I'm not a fan BTW, I don't like the series). I hope this game gets better and hopefully it's not DQ's "Final Fantasy XIV".

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maedhros said:
Satangel said:
Ergo said:
It's 100% completable offline.
You sure about that? Got a source. Would make my day and disappointment a lot better
yaywii.gif

It's the same as DQ IX. But it'll be worse, as your party will be CPU controlled.

QUOTE(LightyKD @ Sep 5 2011, 12:24 PM)

biggrin.gif
So you're basically liking because it's Nintendo...

I like this game mostly because it's another game to look forward to on the Wii. we all know that the Wii could use more games.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NahuelDS said:
Never finished a Dragon Quest game before. I guess it's because Akira Toriyama's style, it bores me... everything looks like dragon ball to me. Maybe I’m the only person on earth that doesn’t like him.
Not all of his work is like that, but he used it for Dragon Quest and it worked. Just look at Chrono Trigger, the only Dragon Ball-esque characters are Crono and the artwork for Melchior, that's it. He simply chooses to use his Dragon Ball style for DQ.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gahars said:
It's an interesting idea, but seeing Nintendo's track record with online games...

Good thing Nintendo has nothing to do with making the game, n'est-ce pas?

I knew Dragon Quest IX was a test-whore for this sort of thing. It's like a baby version... but I'm gonna miss the battle scenes. Tradition for a entire series can make the nostalgia run deep and run hard
frown.gif

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Celice said:
Gahars said:

Except for the fact that they will be online games on Nintendo systems, working within Nintendo's infrastructure. That's the problem here.

The Big N may not be developing the game, but yeah, its impact will be felt.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gahars said:
Celice said:
Gahars said:

Except for the fact that they will be online games on Nintendo systems, working within Nintendo's infrastructure. That's the problem here.

Seriously people, GET OVER IT! Damn! I hate when people bash Nintendo's infrastructure. Nintendo WiFi isn't bad. I could care less about chatting with a bunch of random ass strangers and if Square Enix was so worried about it they could always use their own servers IE Call of Duty and Monster Hunter Tri. Seriously people, stop hating on friend codes.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LightyKD said:
Gahars said:
Celice said:
Gahars said:

Seriously people, GET OVER IT! Damn! I hate when people bash Nintendo's infrastructure. Nintendo WiFi isn't bad. I could care less about chatting with a bunch of random ass strangers and if Square Enix was so worried about it they could always use their own servers IE Call of Duty and Monster Hunter Tri. Seriously people, stop hating on friend codes.
It's not so much bashing then opinion.

Also aren't you chatting with "random ass strangers" right now?

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gahars said:
Celice said:
Gahars said:

Yeah, Monster Hunter Tri and Mario Kart Wii were pretty bad. They went really slow online and lagged all the time, really annoying. Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3 and Super Smash Bros. Brawl were some of the few games that had amazing online, in Brawl a lot of people would join and I never got kicked or timed out, and Tenkaichi 3 didn't lag at all. That said, who actually played those two games?

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry to break it to you, but yeah: Nintendo's online services are paltry in comparison to the competition. Are they god awful? No, but it just leaves a lot to be desired.

It's just sad that a game that is built around online gameplay is being made for a system that will inherently limit what it will be capable of offering instead of one that would optimize it, like the PS3 or 360. That's just the truth of the matter.

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
NahuelDS said:
Not all of his work is like that, but he used it for Dragon Quest and it worked. Just look at Chrono Trigger, the only Dragon Ball-esque characters are Crono and the artwork for Melchior, that's it. He simply chooses to use his Dragon Ball style for DQ.
I agree that Chrono Trigger has waaay more distinct look that Dragon Quest. But still there are a few more recycles.... Lucca is a grown up version of Arale from dr. slump, Ayla is Lunch from DB, Marle is the DB version of Bulma, and there are a few more that I don't remember right now.

The only Toriyama work that I found different is Dragon Quest Swords (very good art btw)... but aside that game, most of his characters are recycles from previous mangas/games.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NahuelDS said:
machomuu said:
NahuelDS said:
I agree that Chrono Trigger has waaay more distinct look that Dragon Quest. But still there are a few more recycles.... Lucca is a grown up version of Arale from dr. slump, Ayla is Lunch from DB, Marle is the DB version of Bulma, and there are a few more that I don't remember right now.

The only Toriyama work that I found different is Dragon Quest Swords (very good art btw)... but aside that game, most of his characters are recycles from previous mangas/games.
They're not recycles, they just look similar. But I see your point, and honestly, I think that's intentional.

D

Deleted_171835

Gahars said:
Celice said:
Gahars said:

They're free to use their own infrastructure which they probably are.

I think Sega did it with Conduit 2.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SoulSnatcher said:
They're free to use their own infrastructure which they probably are.

I think Sega did it with Conduit 2.

EA did it at least with Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 (it uses EA Online or whatever it's called, just like BF:BC2 and such). It's just probably easier to use the Nintendo infrastructure.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
NahuelDS said:
machomuu said:
NahuelDS said:

It's the guy's art style. It's not like artists try to be good in fifty different styles. He does the art for very few games, these games come out only once every two or three years, and his characters are going to look reminiscent to DB/DBZ a lot of the time because he poured so many years into doing the art for the manga and the show. I personally find his art style to be very nice, and Dragon Quest VIII was absolutely beautiful. His style was perfect for it.

But seriously, when you draw hundreds of characters for a single manga (not counting other work), that's gonna reflect in later work unless you are the most creative bastard to ever walk the Earth.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.