LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
00121.jpg

Unlike previous titles in the series, Square Enix’s Dragon Quest X will have a subscription fee for online play, but you can get two free hours of gaming time every day.

In a surprisingly smart move by the developer, the more casual-focused MMO title will host a certain period of time each day called “Kids’ Time”, when online play will be available without fees. According to Siliconera, there’s no need to prove your age either, but Square Enix is scheduling the free play periods for times that children will most likely be out of school.

source
http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news/dragon-quest-x-has-subscription-fees-but-offers-2-free-hours-per-day/

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Awesome! This has to be one of the smarted F2P ideas for a MMORPG I've seen around.

I'm sure they'll also include something else other than that (level cap?), but it's a good thing, especially when there are months when you can play a lot less - times in which 2 hours a day are already enough ;)

Reactions: 1 person

redfalcon

GBATemp Member
Trophies
Website
code.google.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'm sure they'll also include something else other than that (level cap?), but it's a good thing, especially when there are months when you can play a lot less - times in which 2 hours a day are already enough ;)

Which doesn't help either if they schedule it around 13 or 14 o'clock and one has a 9-to-5 job. They will conveniently place the free time into a span where kids are at home, but adults with jobs usually not.

SparkFenix

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Which doesn't help either if they schedule it around 13 or 14 o'clock and one has a 9-to-5 job. They will conveniently place the free time into a span where kids are at home, but adults with jobs usually not.

It was set for the time when kids are out of school so I doubt it would be at that time.

redfalcon

GBATemp Member
Trophies
Website
code.google.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
It was set for the time when kids are out of school so I doubt it would be at that time.

If they target kids < 14 years, this should be a reasonable time. At least here in germany mid-school (up to 10th grade) usually lasts until then. Don't know about Japan though.

Edit: Duh. :P Its in the source: 13 to 15 o'clock kids time on weekends, 16 to 18 o'clock on weekdays.

SparkFenix

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

If they target kids < 14 years, this should be a reasonable time. At least here in germany mid-school (up to 10th grade) usually lasts until then. Don't know about Japan though.

Edit: Duh. :P Its in the source: 13 to 15 o'clock kids time on weekends, 16 to 18 o'clock on weekdays.

On what GMT will this be though

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
I usually don't play DQ anyways..

It's good news for those people who do, but IMO, someone will find a way to bypass the 2 hour time limit somehow, in time.

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
That's a great idea for an MMO, but I don't want DQX to be an MMO at all.

I just want a single player campaign, offline.
I feel ya brah. I won't ever forgive Square-enix for FF11 and FF14 :( WHY NOT CALL THEM "FF ONLINE", dang!

someone will find a way to bypass the 2 hour time limit somehow, in time.
Probably a server-side limitation, so no bypass for that.

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Maybe, maybe not, something may possibly lead to unofficial servers or simple cheat codes for forced offline play.
There'll be the Wii version after all.
Ever tried playing World of Warcraft offline, ALONE? It's one of the most boring gaming experiences EVER. This would be the same thing :P

Unofficial servers might be a good possibility, but it's all in the hands of the devs. Look at Final Fantasy XI, it took years just to get to a preliminary stage where you can connected, talk and do stuff, as the game was really difficult to reverse-engineer and re-implement - only to be taken down from SquareEnix's massive army of lawyers a while later.

Reactions: 1 person

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like this idea, the only thing that puts me off is its possible the servers will be overloaded during these 2 hours. Almost making it worth paying for if you want decent connection time lol

Its possible. I mean we have all seen how well N has done with online in the past.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Maybe, maybe not, something may possibly lead to unofficial servers or simple cheat codes for forced offline play.
There'll be the Wii version after all.
Ever tried playing World of Warcraft offline, ALONE? It's one of the most boring gaming experiences EVER. This would be the same thing :P

Unofficial servers might be a good possibility, but it's all in the hands of the devs. Look at Final Fantasy XI, it took years just to get to a preliminary stage where you can connected, talk and do stuff, as the game was really difficult to reverse-engineer and re-implement - only to be taken down from SquareEnix's massive army of lawyers a while later.
WoW isn't the game I have in mind, actually it's Diablo III.
Cited to be more of a single player experience above all else, but still treated like an MMO with mandatory online play (no subscription though)

If DQX is designed solely as an MMO, then yes, it will be boring played offline.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Between 7 and 9 PM would be fine, you don't feel guilty about not playing a game when you don't have time to do so, which is the problem with subscription based games. That said, they need to still offer a lot of content in the game for players to play it regularly even with the non subscription time, and any subscription play would be for those who might be more involved in the game.

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country
Where can I buy those slimes?

edit: Found them on yesasia.com.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2 hours isn't long enough. Often in MMOs you'll be sitting for at least half that time while the group is being formed together for a difficult/long activity. Than the said activity will take 1-3 hours it self to do. These free hours are aimed at solo-ers and the impatient aka people who shouldn't be playing MMOs in the first place. MMOs are all about the team experience.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16