Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King, worth it?

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by proflayton123, Apr 6, 2017.

1. proflayton123
    OP

proflayton123 Undeclared Shitposter 2.1

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    Hey tempers, anyone a fellow DQ fan like me? If so is this game worth it? Tempted to buy it but idk if it'll be worth it, the last I played was DQ7 before this release. Thanks for info!

2. Bonestorm

Bonestorm GBAtemp Fan

Jan 15, 2017
    Canada
    Midgar, Sector 5
    dq8 is the best in the series

but i'd play the ps2 version if possible

3. proflayton123
    OP

proflayton123 Undeclared Shitposter 2.1

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    Don't have access to a ps2 unfortunately

4. Ryupower

Ryupower Brood

Oct 8, 2007
    United States
    dq8 3ds has MORE stuff then PS2 version (extra bosses , more characters, more side quests), it is a good game

it look fines
    plays fine
    sounds fine (midi music, but if fits)

5. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Depends on if you like the series, is a better game than the last 7 but the 3ds had some very bad localization issues due to various reasons, unless you can get a cfw 3ds to play it on and use the restoration patch, is better experience. If not you probably get a lower experience.

To be honest the restoration patch doesn't alter gameplay but the presentation. If you want more info there is a series of viedos on censored gaming's youtube channel that can explain a bit more of what i mean. :)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFItIX8SIs4zqhJCHpbeV1A/search?query=dragon+quest+VIII

If you don't care about the presentation changes, then is just the same game as ps2 with less appeal. So that is all :P

Here is a video explaining how members here (YES AT GBATEMP) restore ps2 quality of the game. :D

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight, Apr 6, 2017