OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
500x_edithjeterrip.jpg
In 1995, Enix America closed, throwing plans for an English release of Dragon Quest VI into doubt. "I may not live long enough to see Dragon Quest VI," wrote one fan. She wasn't exaggerating. She was 76 at the time.

After 15 years, Dragon Quest VI will get an English localization on Feb. 14, but it came about six weeks too late for Edith Jeter of Puyallup, Wash. A 1996 edition of Nintendo Power discussing Enix America's closure featured Jeter's letter. "I'm now 76 years old. I may not live long enough to see Dragon Quest VI unless someone takes action soon," she wrote.

Urban Champion-e, a forum member at Racketboy, ran across the issue and letter recently and wondered what became of Mrs. Jeter. After a Google search, he discovered she died peacefully at her home on Jan. 3. She was 91. She is survived by two children, and numerous grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and great-great grandchildren.

"Edith enjoyed reading, playing video games, and was an author of a family genealogy book that she proudly distributed to her family," says her obituary.

The obituary's guest book contains this tribute.

Your letter in Nintendo Power Volume 82 was the first thing I thought of when I heard DQ6 was finally coming to America. I never knew you, but you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.[/p]
icon11.gif
Source

You're never too old for video games, regardless of what people say.

I hope you've had a fantastic life along with your fill of gaming.
R.I.P.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That must have killed her [pun not intended], that the game is finally getting a release, and then she passes away. As sad as it is, it's ironic in a way too. Not meaning to sound like a dick so shut up and don't lecture me.

Still, sad that she didn't get a chance to play the game she waited for for all these years.

cosmiccow

Original Hippie
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Wow, that's really a heart-warming anecdote.

Today it's rare that people this age are playing video games - because they didn't know it when they were young. But our generation who is used to video games, has a much higher chance to keep coming back to VG now and then for the rest of our life.. maybe even more so when we are retired, due to more spare time.

I'm 28 now. I am sure I still play some games when I'm 50. So there is nothing creepy about it.

blackdragonbaham

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
sad little story:.
strong women, lovable wife, lucky grandmother, gamer. rip

in our generation the probability to play on games at an age over 50 is higher, all folks are familiarize to medium, the gaming sector is no more that sneered little branche on verge.

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
Wow, I never knew an old gamer who was married and had children. A female who was a died hard DQ fan, she died without any regrets of playing video games. It does really hit close from home...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16