Dragon Quest V - Deborah (new wife) info

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by keke_keke, Jul 19, 2008.

Jul 19, 2008
  1. keke_keke
    OP

Member keke_keke GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If anyone is anticipating this game, then you might want to know about Deborah.

In the story, she's actually EXACTLY the same as Flora. She is Flora's sister. You meet them both together in the intro, and they both live in the same house when you consider marrying. They both have the same wedding, and same plot alterations. The wedding is actually the same to the point in which Deborah replaces Flora in the scene; the other sister doesn't even show up at the wedding!

However, in battle, she is very different. Unlike Bianca and Flora, Deborah is more of a fighting type. She has the same spells as Flora, minus Kafrizzle, Midheal and one other spell that I can't think of, but she can use heavier equipment and has some of her own feminine strong equipments. She starts with a weapon called Shiny Nails, which if you know of the killer piercings in DQIV, then you'll recognise the value of the shiny nails in that they hit twice in battle. She also gives birth to black-haired children which IMO are dodgy, but it fits in with the hero and Papas. [​IMG]

So in conclusion, she is a brilliant wife, but if you've married Flora, then you won't find anything new in the story. The contest is essentially between Flora and Deborah. Mage Vs. Fighter. The only reason to marry Bianca is for lovey-dubby storyline, she doesn't have the benefits of the other two, and is pretty much a weaker version of the daughter. The blonde kids probably look the best, and it's nice to have a traditional church wedding, but you won't be using her much in battle.

Hope someone reads this. :/

2. Sendoh

Member Sendoh GBAtemp Regular

Singapore
    Heavy spoilers ahead!!!! Don't say I didn't warn you!!

Wait, marrying Bianca nets more cutscenes than marrying Flora? I was thinking that both situations would have turned out the same. Anyways, her battle style sounds cool. It's a bit redundant though, since you can only raise her up to level 10 before she goes away for a good chunk of the game.

Anyways, what's the source of this information?

3. Dhaos_Niko

Newcomer Dhaos_Niko Advanced Member

Italy
    Maybe he has just played til the marriage and found out.

4. keke_keke
    OP

United States

Bianca has stuff like a lovely scene in the Alcapa inn, the reunion with Sancho is nicer because he recognises Bianca and how she's grown and that they're married, etc.

Flora and Deborah can both be used fully when you get them in this remake, but they start at a lower level than Bianca (10 levels), but they'll catch up with you quickly enough.

My source is the actual game, I'm playing it! [​IMG]

5. Sendoh

Member Sendoh GBAtemp Regular

Singapore
    Oooh! I forgot that the game had already been released. Sorry! So Flora and Deborah no longer have level caps anymore? But even if that is the case the amount of time you can use them is limited. =/

Anyways, are those extra scenes worth choosing Bianca? I prefer Flora or Deborah over her.

6. keke_keke
    OP

United States
    Not really. There's only one or two extra scenes, and the dialogue only changes slightly when people recognise your wife. The response of the wife obviously changes depending on who she is. Bianca is really just the "right" choice. She honestly loves you and it wraps it up nicely considering you've had your childhood adventures with her and stuff.

Flora and Deborah will grant you 2000g and a nice dress item, and they have to do a very small errand for Ludman before getting the ship. They're both better in battle, and I feel that if you're going to be using the wives in battle at all, then don't choose Bianca.

So it's a choice of not feeling awkward about ditching Bianca (not so worth it, but go ahead if you want), or get one of two decent party members and a couple of prizes (as well as a fancy wedding).

7. kennypu

Member kennypu GBAtemp Fan

United States
    thanks for sharing the info, I made seperate save files before choosing wife just so I can see if there are seperate cut-scenes for wedding and/or ending xP. Now I guess I don't have to. lol
    Ken