ROM Hack Dragon Quest Monsters - Terry's Wonderland An exception occurred (Translation - Section)

Nightshift89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Receiving the following crash dump while playing Dragon Quest Monsters Terry's Wonderland on my 3DS:
(the issue is occurring directly after knocking out monsters in battle, mainly while in a traveler's gate)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
An exception occurred

Processor: ARM11 (core 0)
Exception type: data abort
Fault status: Translation - Section
Current process: sai (0004000000074600)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have copies of the .dmp files if it would assist.

I'm new to adding CFW to a 3DS, so the issue could be relatively simple error I made. Here's some detail:

I'm using a .cia of the game that was copied to the root of my SD card and installed via FBI. I'm unable to import seeds with FBI, I guess due to the main game being region locked.
I obtained the English Patched .cia from what appears to be a credible source. I'm not sure if I can post that here, but I do have a Japanese copy of the original game.
The SD card I'm using has been formatted correctly and has been scanned with a hardware test.

Thank you in advance for anyone who takes time to offer advice.

Nightshift89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Steps I've taken by researching other threads:

-Disable the AR plugin loader in the Luma (I don't have an AR plugin, was nothing to disable in this case)
-If you have game patching enabled in luma3ds settings disable it then try again (Tried playing with and without this option enabled)
-Disable arm11 exception handlers (Tried this, the game crashes without reporting exception handlers instead)
-Delete the 0000008f folder located in extdata folder (Tried this)

I'll continue to try different methods. My next attempt will be to backup my saves, delete the .cia's and re-install.

Cryse

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sucks to hear you're having issues.

From what you described, it sounds like a bug in the translation patch. If you take a look at the changelog in the translation thread, you can see that there have been issues in the past leading to that exact error, though those ones were very consistent and thus easy to nail down and fix.

My best guess is that it either has something to do with a specific monster that you're facing, one that's in your party, or a certain skill that a monster in your party has. Try changing your entire team just for a bit and see if the issue persists. If it goes away, then you can slowly add your normal monsters back to your team until you discover which monster is the issue, then fuse it away I guess.

The only other thing I can think of to try is to try and find an older version of the translation. The most recent update for example (1.2) fixes and changes some text but doesn't fix any glaring issues, so it might be worth trying 1.1 instead. I played a lot of the game years ago on 1.1 and never ran into any crashes, so it's possible the issue you're having was introduced in version 1.2.

Nightshift89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you very much for the reply and insight. I've been trying to find a correlation between the crashes, even with monsters as you've suggested, but I didn't consider moves. I have noticed a slight decrease in the crashes since my monster team has changed through breeding, but the crashes are still present. I'll keep an eye on monster moves as well.

The crash always occurs while the screen is transitioning, whether it be:
-After knocking out monsters while the screen transitions to walking around in the traveler's gate
-After using the "zoom" player spell to teleport
-After breeding two monsters, and the screen transitions to walking around in GreatTree
-After jumping down a well in a traveler's gate to the next level
I've also noticed if the game sits idle for 2+ minutes while I do something else, a crash usually follows within 1 minute.

Oddly enough, I'm using the game update .cia that is labelled V1.1
The "game" .cia is labelled as DQM 1.2

From the thread where I downloaded these two cia files:
"the game you have now is patch 1.1. this game has patch 1.2 in it.
the games update is still 1.1 and still needed"
I admit some confusion as I didn't even know about this game before two weeks ago, but I believe I'm beginning to understand the patch and update versions

If I find a fix, I will update this thread.

Cryse

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can also always try and email Team Terry if you haven't already. My attempt to help you narrow down what the issue is was mostly circumstantial guesswork, so I imagine people who actually know what they're talking about may be able to help more.

[email protected]

Nightshift89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update: Frustration has won. The crashes are creating far more anger than enjoyment for me at this point. My crashes seem to be isolated, so hopefully no one has to deal with it.

mora260

Trophies
XP
Country
Update: Frustration has won. The crashes are creating far more anger than enjoyment for me at this point. My crashes seem to be isolated, so hopefully no one has to deal with it.
Did You also applied the v1.1 update .cia after installing the game .cia??

I had the same problem, but the update fix everything!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I'm back