1. Koroshi

Koroshi Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    You know I don't mind the podcast but just put up a site you know?

2. Helmax

Helmax GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Right, the author of this thread never actually did anything to help our team. We were already working on this when ruineka posted very very minor progress.

I said it once and I'll say it again. I spent countless weeks trying to figure out why the game couldn't hold the English script or display it properly. It's a hacking issue. And unfortunately, very few people surface here that actually have the ability to solve this kind of a problem. And if they do, they either don't have the time or desire to do so.

I clearly don't have the time right now because I do have the desire. And I haven't found the answer yet. So I wouldnt even say development hell

TorchyTahcoez and DbGt like this.
  3. Rabb1t

Rabb1t Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    I have kept an eye on this thread for years, kept it bookmarked and while i am glad to have people still active on it, i do wish there was some sort of resolve. I usually check here monthly, hoping for some sort of update. I listen to the podcasts relating to the translation, and they're interesting. It is disheartening to hear that there is a significant roadblock in translation. I am very ignorant towards romhacking, & translating games via code. Programming the like is not my expertise, but i loved DQM2 as a child and i await the day that it is translated, but with OP offline for around 2 years, and no major effort, i have considered taking up japanese to be able to enjoy it. If anyone has any experience in the matter (of learning a language to play a game, sounds trivial but i am dedicated to playing it!) and can give advice, it would be delightful.

But who knows with the project? Only until very recently romhacking pokemon for the 3ds had a breakthrough, so here's to hoping, and thank you for all being dedicated to this. Seeing people still post, whether it is negative, or positive, is great to see. This is of course the first RELEVANT result when you google "Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Iru and Luca’s Marvelous Mysterious Key" or something along the sorts, so its improbable the thread will remain dead, permanently. But again, thank you foe the frequent posters here, it still gives me hope for a translation in the foreseeable future, but i'm also the type that's still hoping for a mother 3 western release and hasn't given up hope on that either, and i know I've been waiting on that WAY longer. Good luck and i do hope the project comes to completion by OP or someone else one day.

luminaryloto, Arlock41 and Plattym3! like this.
  4. Tamunya

Tamunya Member
    Newcomer

Bahrain
    Oh no :( I wish it was possible to translate this game, it looks like so much fun... well, at least there's DQ Monsters Joker and Slime.

Square Enix makes my favorite games but their localization practices are the absolute worst, they barely learned to put the original Japanese voices in their games with this generation...

5. luminaryloto

luminaryloto Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Hi Rabb1t, I am in the process of learning Japanese and am using games to help the learning process, so I thought I’d share that learning process.

First of all, I would only recommend learning Japanese if you are seriously interested in the language, as it is a long and difficult journey. There are ways to play Japanese games without knowing the language that require much less effort, such as simply stumbling through the game without reading anything, or using the Google Translate app (it has a camera feature where you can point your phone at the Japanese text and it will translate it for you. The “instant” translation is not great, but if you take pictures and use the “scan” feature, this can do a decent translation job.) Of course, knowing the language will give you the full experience, but will require a lot of stumbling and patience.

For actually learning the language, there is an awesome method produced by Tae Kim on his site called “guide to Japanese”. You can Google that phrase to find the site. He has a “complete” guide, and a “grammar” guide. I would suggest going through the “grammar” guide, as this will teach you all of the basic grammar of the language and get you ready for reading actual Japanese text as quickly as possible.

Once you have completed the grammar guide, you can start (trying) to read the Japanese text from the game of your choice. I say “trying” because Tae Kim’s method doesn’t teach a lot of vocabulary, and the large number of grammar points will be hard to understand at first. Luckily, you can refer back to Tae Kim’s grammar guide at any time, and I have some strategies for looking up vocabulary.

Vocab lookup method 1: Jisho is an awesome online Japanese to English dictionary that you can use to look up vocab. This gets very difficult with Kanji, but Jisho has a “radical lookup” system that works really well once you get a hang of it, but still, using this method for looking up every new kanji you come across will be very time consuming.

Vocab lookup method 2: Google Translate. Remember that nifty Camera function I mentioned on the Google Translate app? Using that to take a picture of Japanese text, you can then scan the picture to look up a specific Kanji. This method is faster than using Jisho and you can translate whole sentences if you’re struggling with the translation or need more context for the translation.

This is a very quick version of the method I’m using to learn Japanese, so if you have questions feel free to ask and I’ll hopefully be able to answer.

This will take a lot of effort and patience, but is very rewarding if you stick with it. Don’t get discouraged. If you put the work in, you will get results.

Rabb1t likes this.
  6. SpicyCaliente

SpicyCaliente Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Unfortunately I can't help resolve this but I'm curious what you mean specifically when you say it can't hold the English script. I know the Japanese language tends to be denser in terms of the amount of information that can be contained in a certain amount of text characters, so is the English version just overflowing past the text box/crashing things? Would things potentially work if you heavily edited down the dialogue lines or something to that effect?

Plattym3! likes this.
  7. TorchyTahcoez

TorchyTahcoez Member
    Newcomer

United States
    you could always go with the old Dragon Warrior names for spells to cut back on space.

8. bahamut920

bahamut920 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    That might work for spell names (and even then that's questionable, Frizzle and Kafrizz are shorter than Blazemore and Blazemost for example), but what about dialogue?

9. TorchyTahcoez

TorchyTahcoez Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Textspeak shorthand like u instead of you or n instead of and. Wrk instead of work. Cut enough off at the right parts that still allows the reader to get the gist of the dialogue.

It doesnt have to be a magnum opus, it jsut has to be legible enough for us to play the game without the use of google translate or something.

10. SpicyCaliente

SpicyCaliente Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    I mean, Dragon Quest Monsters games don't exactly have the most complicated stories, you can cut out a lot of cruft and still get 100% of what you need to understand what's going on. I actually wouldn't mind a little more brevity in game dialogue to be honest.

Last edited by SpicyCaliente, Aug 4, 2020
  11. TorchyTahcoez

TorchyTahcoez Member
    Newcomer

United States
    you could even go the old Final fantasy route and do Friz1-2-3 and so on for spells/abilities with ranks.

DWM had GreatDrak instead of GreatDragon and drak for anything else. Looking through the old dwm monster list might help.

then if the problem of the text is ever solved, you can put out a patch adding the full dialog instead of the shortened cut out stuff.

12. Bluespheal

Bluespheal GBAtemp Regular

Mexico
    It's a bummer to see the project at a halt, I'd step in to help, but as usual, I don't have time nor the knowledge for doing so, while I do know how to code, proper hacking and low-level stuff is way beyond me at this point, I hope there's some progress done in the near future.

BTW, seems this game is getting released on phones this year, let's hope it gets localized... altho that's unlikely imo.

Raytheon_Thunder likes this.
  13. Darkdrium63

Darkdrium63 Member
    Newcomer

United States

Would love to see the SP version of this make it out west. Apparently it includes content from XI, and by the looks of the trailer it’s going to be a pretty dope port. I’m stumbling my way through the JP version of 2 right now and even as a lifelong DWM fan it’s hard to do. Really hope some progress gets made on the translation, or we wind up with an official release (not optimistic on that).

Plattym3! likes this.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Translation, Mysterious, Marvelous