Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Cobi and Tara's Marvelous Mysterious Key

DRAGON QUEST MONSTERS 2
COBI & TARA'S MARVELOUS MYSTERIOUS KEY

(JAPANESE to ENGLISH/FRENCH Fan-Translation)
(Future Multi-lingual Fan-Translation)

title_up_logo.bclim.00.png

Information
--

Team
  • Hacking & Programming: Colmines92, Ich_73, Z6n4
  • Translation: Gerb
  • Localization: Gerb, Z6n4, Ich_73
  • Graphics: Ich_73, Colmines92
  • Monster Apps: @Ich_73
--

Additional Links

--

Help us improve this translation!

Report all bugs to the appropriate github issues page below:
Please try to include any relevant images, a brief description.
Bugs posted here will likely be ignored by the team, as we're a small team, likely to miss it among the other posts.
If a luma crash occurs, please include a crash dump file, or screen shot of the luma crash output, along with an explanation of how it occured.

Download & Patch Instructions:

Patch Instructions for Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Cobi and Tara's Marvelous Mysterious Key:

Everything needed for the english patch (and future language patches) can be found on the github page linked below. Grab the latest patch, and follow the instructions in the wiki

Patch Instructions for Dragon Quest Monsters Transfer App - Terry's Wonderland 3D to Cobi & Tara:

Once you've completed DQM2, you will have the option to download and install the Monster Transfer App from the 3DS eShop, which let's you import monsters from your TW3D save, into DQM2.
We've also provided a translation for that app, which you can apply by following the instructions on the accompanying Wiki (listed below)

Patch Instructions for Dragon Quest Monsters Transfer App - Joker 2 to Terry's Wonderland 3D:

A translation for the app used to import monsters from the NDS title, DQM Joker 2, into Terry's Wonderland 3D (and then using the above app, into DQM2).
We've also provided a translation for that app, which you can apply by following the instructions on the accompanying Wiki (listed below)

Project Backstory

After the team completed work on Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 3 back in 2016, we took a well rested break!
It wasn't too long afterwards that Joker 3 Pro was released, and we were back to work. In the middle of working on J3Pro, Z6n4 thought to themself, "Why work on a small story extension? We have a whole other game out there that hasn't been completed yet!"
At this point, the team decided to shift their focus towards working on Dragon Quest Monsters 2.

Starting work on this in 2017, the game's underlying framework required little hacking working beyond what the team initially accomplished with Terry's Wonderland 3D, and in no time, they had full scripts of the game ready for translation.
Gerb, a well known translator on the scene who most recently completed work on Slime Mori Mori 3, offered to help.
Within no time, Gerb had ripped through majority of the script, translating both Cobi & Tara's unique dialogue scripts!

Z6n4, however, ran into a major hurdle around this time. Completely stuck with a limitation built into the game by its original developers, the team could not show more than 50 or so characters on screen during any dialog sequence.
While this might have been fine for japanese language, this would not work for a full blown, detailed, english script.
Slowly, Z6n4 looked into this problem, but found no success. The project, to many, seemed like it was destined to never be completed...

Meanwhile, in 2020, a talented developer known as Ich_73 surfaced in our translation scene. They built a remarkable translation tool suite, and offered everything up to the public via github, in the hopes of crowd sourcing and encouraging work on multi-languages for both DQM TW3D and DQM2 3DS.
They weren't satisfied stopping there, however. Ich_73 decided to tackle the DQM 2 translation all by themselves. They ended up running into THE SAME roadblock that Z6n4 was stumped by.

Fortunately, another extremely bright individual going by the name of Colmines92 would also surface. Colmines92 contacted both of us, and in seemly no time, broke right through this barrier that had stumped us both for quite some time.

From this point forward, the 4 of us united and decided that, albeit being a small team... We could finally get this done!
Pooling together everything we had all completed to date, we set out in the last quarter of 2020 to finish this thing once and for all.

Several months later, we released the translation on 4/1/2021!

From the bottom of our hearts, we'd like to thank everyone who kept us motivated, stayed excited, will play our fan-translation & keep the scene alive.

- Z6n4

--
FAQs

• How do I use this!? Please consult the linked github wiki's above. You will need to educate yourself on how to apply a translation/patch to a 3DS game using either a modded 3ds or the emulator citra.
  • Where do I get the game!? We listed some links below. Purchase a physical copy of the game, and then you can follow our tutorial on how to extract it, and modify your files.
  • How do I get the v1.1 update!? 3DS are region locked. You will need a japanese 3DS or way to communicate with the japanese eShop from your 3DS. If you are using a USA region 3DS, when prompted to update, the update WILL NOT WORK (it won't even download). You can extract the update using a japanese 3DS (to a CIA file). Consult our wiki for further questions.
  • Do I need version 1.0 or 1.1? The base game, of any 3ds game is v1.0. At the moment, this game has 1 official update (v1.1) that is required to go online with it. The version number of our patch has NOTHING to do with which version of the game you are using. HOWEVER, make sure you are using the right patch for the game version you are playing.
  • Can I play online with this patch? Yep! As long as you have an official 3DS, you should have no problems, with it running on the latest firmware.
  • Can I use my existing saves? Yes. But all monster names and character names will still be whatever you set them to be, in japanese when you originally played.
  • What's the MD5 Hash for the v1.1 update? 760B11D9BEFDAE746AE1C076A01BA75C
--

NOTICE: If you have trouble beyond this, consult the responses in this thread, or the related github wiki's, github issues pages, or ask on our Discord Server (listed above).

--

Where can I get ahold of Dragon Quest Monsters 2 for 3DS?

Last edited by Helmax,

frostare

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hello, I'm new to GBATempt and I'd really love to contribute to the Spanish translation of this game. I did a bit of digging around to see where was the best place to start and downloaded BinJ but I'm not too code savvy. Can someone give me some pointers? Thanks in advance!

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finding this Transfer app .cia is impossible lol
There´s a way to access JP eshop to download it?
No, but you can find it if you search a bit harder. Try a website that sounds like it's about reading something, in the sub[website that sounds like it's about reading something] about piracy.

in addition to monsters from the chance gate, monsters from high level monster scouts (Sagitar, Mortela, Nimzo, Rapthorn) too seem to cause the app to see corrupt/illegal monsters.
The transfer appworks fine for me, how did you install each game?

Hello, does anyone know where to get the phoenix sceptre?
The quests the Dad gives you.

Ich_73

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The quests the Dad gives you.
I'm not too sure that is right...
According to this Japanese site which lists all quests Dad gives you, you don't get the Phoenix Sceptre from him.
And addionally all quests (from Papa, Mama and Grandpa Medal) can be found with the proper English translation in the Guide for Quests.

Hello, I'm new to GBATempt and I'd really love to contribute to the Spanish translation of this game. I did a bit of digging around to see where was the best place to start and downloaded BinJ but I'm not too code savvy. Can someone give me some pointers? Thanks in advance!
It would be best to join the DQ Translations Discord server and message me there. I can then give you all needed information.

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought the Dad gave it to me, I guess I'm remembering wrong. In that case it's either from the arena or story progression

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
it might be an arena reward. I'm pretty sure you basically can't miss it.
The transfer appworks fine for me, how did you install each game?

dqm1 and 2 are patched cias, both updated, as is the transfer app.

i know the app can work, i could tranfer a few monsters when i released everything i had and scouted new, standard spawns from a gate. but eventually, it denies a transfer because of corrupted data again
and i currently assume that what was translated as corrupted monster data actually refers to illegal monster data.

Crithion

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can't seem to be able to use the transfer app. Got a save from dqm3d with the postgame completed, and it just says my monster data is corrupt.

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't seem to be able to use the transfer app. Got a save from dqm3d with the postgame completed, and it just says my monster data is corrupt.
A lot of people have been having this issue. It seems to be caused by cheated or otherwise somehow invalid monsters. People have gotten it temporarily working by deleting all their monsters and rescouting.

Crithion

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A lot of people have been having this issue. It seems to be caused by cheated or otherwise somehow invalid monsters. People have gotten it temporarily working by deleting all their monsters and rescouting.
Yeah so I read. I was hoping someone can try to fix the app in a way, or maybe do something like pksm but for dqm. I was planning to breed my end game monsters from dqm3d with my current monsters in dqm2

And if I try the built in game option, it doesn't detect dqm3d

Last edited by Crithion,

Crimsonflare

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

One of the issues is the monsters scouted in Chance gate, for some reason... I didn´t cheated, had to clear everything and works if I get new monsters, except for the chance gate, that triggers the corruption again

Hyunckel

Undead army captain
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Just wanted to say a BIG THANK YOU to the team here.

I forgot about this game after finishing DQM1 Terry no Wonderland in Japanese like 3 years ago just before an english patch was made, didn't expect DQM2 3DS to get one! (nor DQMJ3 Pro for that matter)

So yeah, enjoying this game a lot, thanks to you all!
@Ich_73
@Colmines92
@Z6n4
@Gerb

Reactions: Ich_73

Hyunckel

Undead army captain
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The てんせいの杖 Phoenix Staff is found in a Red Chest in the Mysterious Door room in Great Log, you have to break a boulder to access it (so after Water world).

I recommend using this excellent guide on GameFaqs:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/3ds/7...ka-no-fushigi-na-fushigi-na/faqs/71935?page=2

EDIT:
Didn't see this post sorry!
The phoenix sceptre is found in a chest behind the rock in the Navel room, so you're able to grab it once you learn how to smash the rocks, which I think is after you complete the Water world.

Last edited by Hyunckel,
Reactions: shaunpsl

Xalderin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, Does this work on the Android version, by chance? Very curious, as I have a phone that I can buy it on, and any 3DS on market is currently being scalped. But assuming it does, that would be amazing. Anyone know, by chance?

chaos_envoys

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
So, Does this work on the Android version, by chance? Very curious, as I have a phone that I can buy it on, and any 3DS on market is currently being scalped. But assuming it does, that would be amazing. Anyone know, by chance?
Yes, I can play this on my Zenfone 6 with citra and on 3ds without any problems

Xalderin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I can play this on my Zenfone 6 with citra and on 3ds without any problems

Erm, I meant the actual Android Version of the game. You can literally buy the game on Android and play it separate from any 3ds or emulator. That's the version I was asking about. XD Sorry if I wasn't specific enough, And thanks for letting me know it works on the Android version of Citra. <3

Last edited by Xalderin,
Reactions: chaos_envoys

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Erm, I meant the actual Android Version of the game. You can literally buy the game on Android and play it separate from any 3ds or emulator. That's the version I was asking about. XD Sorry if I wasn't specific enough, And thanks for letting me know it works on the Android version of Citra. <3
that would be a no. This is programmed for luma and the 3ds console. Not the android version of the game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.