Dragon Quest IX-Sentinel of the Starry Skies

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by EvangelionEX, Jan 16, 2011.

Jan 16, 2011
  1. EvangelionEX
    OP

Member EvangelionEX GBAtemp Regular

Singapore
    Well, I don't have any idea on what to allocate my SP into. But, I will list out my questions.

1) Can your main character change jobs? Like your default is Minstrel right? So I can change to Thief or something right?

2) I read this guide about Jobs and Skills and they stated that...

Yeah so I got a little bit confused which is more beneficial. Like I don't want to ruin my character or stuff like that. When it comes to games that involves jobs or the like, I AM A PERFECTIONIST.

So, these are some of them. I can't think of any questions already so yeah. Thanks for all your help XD

2. Ethevion

Member Ethevion Wannabe Artist

Canada
    1. You can change your job later on in the game, not telling you when so I don't spoil it for you.
    2. I just use my skill points in the weapon I want to use.

3. EvangelionEX
    OP

Singapore
    Alright thanks! Anymore suggestions?

4. Ryupower

Member Ryupower Brood

United States
    you CAN'T really mess up, you jobs

ALL jobs can get to level 99
    by level 99 you will have 200 skill points (total), for that job
    so two skill can be maxed

then at level 99 you can do a a reincarnation ,that will bring that job BACK to level 1, BUT you will keep all the skills you got (ie sword is at 100. it will still be a 100 after a reincarnation)
    and then you can go level BACK to level 99 and get 200 more skill points

there are quest, needed to unlocked other jobs

reincarnation of the hero, help you get better grottos
    the 1st time you do areincarnation on a job, you get an item

i go
    the job skill
    and
    one weapon skill

the job skill stat ups, on you for GOOD
    when you get +100 magic might
    all job ther char is will have +100 magic might

5. EvangelionEX
    OP

Singapore
    I know that. But I am wondering if adding the job skill stats up is MORE beneficial on weapon skill trees. I'm planning to get Gladiator btw. It looks cool but my eyes got blurred from reading the wall of text of the guides so i wanted to know if there is some spell casting class. I think Mage or Sage? And Gladiator, I learned Dragon Slash for my main character because for Gladiator so am I stupid to do that? ._.

6. Ryupower

Member Ryupower Brood

United States
    the weapons skill
    NEEDs that weapon equipped to use

Dragon Slash is a sword skill
    so you NEED a sword equipped to use it

the 100 SP cost weapon skill, lets AND job use that weapon

as for spells
    THAT are LINKED to the job that learned them

7. guido

Newcomer guido Newbie

Brazil
    When you max your weapon skill (at 100 points) you get omnivocational [weapon] use, this mean you can use that weapon with any vocation...
    e.g.: a mage using an axe

8. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    Yes, you can change vocations once you reach the Abby, and as a general rule of thumb, you should figure out what weapon you want a character to master and only throw ability points into that skill. Each job has several weapon skills, a unique skill, and often a shield skill. Invest in the one weapon skill you choose, and then the unique skill and shield skill. Maxing out the weapon and shield skills will allow you to be omni-vocational with those skills, meaning you can use a shield and that particular weapons regardless of what job you change over to. Stats increased by a particular skill are permanent, so you don't have to worry about losing them when you change vocations. Each vocation, however, comes with inherent stats that DO change. You also keep the skills and spells learned from other vocations, but you can only use them with that vocation, unless they're a weapon-based skill.

9. EvangelionEX
    OP

Singapore
    Yeah, I wanted to be a Gladiator and I want to use Sword. So, I pump all my points in Sword?

10. Masked Ranger

Member Masked Ranger GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Antarctica
    That is correct. Once you've hit 100 points into sword, no matter which job you choose, you can wield a sword. The nice thing is that when you're a Minstrel with 100 points in Sword, you can then focus all your new job points that you get from leveling up as a Warrior into other Warrior skills, if you want.

The other thing is that your job points are transferable, meaning that all your points go into a point pool that can be assigned for any job. If you get 100 points by leveling up as a Ranger, you can switch jobs to a Thief and have 100 points available to dump into your level 1 Thief. Right now, I have been really tightfisted on spending my points so I have about 395+ job points able to spend per character. Each character has had about 4 jobs at around level 50-55 for each job.

11. EvangelionEX
    OP

Singapore
    So, adding points into Sword until it's max is the right way to go? Meaning that after I max the Sword's skill, then begin on other jobs skill(NOT weapon skill, job skills) like Gladiator's?

12. EvangelionEX
    OP

Singapore
    Anybody? o-o

13. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    Not necessarily. If you're still pretty early into the game and don't plan on changing vocations right away, you could invest your ability points either into your shield or, if you're interested in the unique abilities of the minstrel vocation, you could invest into that. Personally, I don't care much for the minstrel skill. If memory serves, the gladiator vocation cannot use a shield, so you might do well to first max out your shield skill, then use whatever weapon is best until you can then max out your sword skill for use with gladiator also.

14. Waflix

Member Waflix El Psy Congroo

Netherlands
    Comment on line 6:
    It's called 'Revocation'.

You won't lose anything. And if you train a lot at every vocation (or 'jobs') you can fill all of the abilities, like Sword, Shield, Fan, Spear Skill, but also Courage, and that kind of things.
    So you should think of what you want (maybe do a search on the internet for the unlockables of all them) and change to that vocation, and spend your points into that things.

15. EvangelionEX
    OP

Singapore
    I see...Maybe I'm going Sage though...But if my party member is a Mage and I added the JOB tree for him, can i get the benefits for my sage too?

16. Waflix

Member Waflix El Psy Congroo

Netherlands
    When you spend your skill points, and you change of vocation/job, the spended points will remain for that character.
    If that doesn't answer your question (at all), I'm not sure if I know what you mean with that question.

17. EvangelionEX
    OP

Singapore
    What I meant is that, if I add my party's members point, can I get the benefits from them?

18. gumgod

Member gumgod GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yes... if you max out courage for example and get the HP bonus, you can switch over to a mage and have the same HP bonus. You don't carry over spells though, so any spells you learn as a mage can not be cast as another class. HOWEVER, the abilities you learn from the skill points can. What I mean by that is that if you learn wizard ward as a mage you can use it as a warrior. These transferable abilities are listed under the abilities list in combat and not the spells list.