OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Link to the Dragon Quest IV Party Chat Open Translation site:
https://sites.google.com/site/dq4opentrans/

Since there are no translators as of now, we are in need of translators for this project. If you are interested in helping but cannot translate, please do one of the following:
1) recruit Japanese translators who are fans of Dragon Quest or RPGs in general to ask them to translate these party chats
2) edit the translated text or to make the translation match Square-Enix's localization after translations have occurred.
If you have any questions, please email me at foxstar74 [at] gmail [dot] com.

As some may know, Square Enix removed the Party Chats in the English versions of Dragon Quest IV DS. Several months ago, a gamefaqs member stated that they were interested in translating the Dragon Quest IV Party Chats. Around the same time, another member at woodus forums also stated they were interested in translating these files. However, there were no chat scripts uploaded anywhere (the ones that were somehow could not be accessed), and it seems that due to lack of any organizing, nothing materialized. As of right now, I'm not sure if anybody is even still working on the translation.

Hence, I have created a new website for anybody interested in contributing to translating the Party Chat. For now, this will just be a text translation, but if we can get this translated, there is more likely a chance to see this hacked into the game.

I'm a fan of J-RPGs and am also involved in the Tear Ring Saga Open Translation Project. I helped to organize that translation project (still in progress) by trying to make it easy for translators to translate these files, and to be able to do it collaboratively in an "Open Translation" format. By creating an Open Translation organized method that's easily accessible to translate these Dragon Quest IV Party Chat files, hopefully we will see some form of translation of these party chats become a reality.

For reference, the links to the forums of people who were interested in translating this in the past include:
http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17119
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/942422-drag...chosen/55532916

Special thanks to pokeeiyuu for the Japanese scripts.

If you have any questions, please email me at foxstar74 [at] gmail [dot] com. Thanks, and have a great day.
smile.gif

Reactions: cyb0rg

Isaac_GS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I would prefer is a translation of DQIV DS that makes the NPCs more comprehensible. Seriously, I had to give up on that game soon after getting the boat because the accents kept getting thicker and thicker, and I couldn't understand what anybody was saying. I think that project would be a better use of somebody's time. Of course, if you insist on going along with this and somebody decides to hack it into the game, I hope they keep my suggestion in mind.

Supreme Dirt

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Isaac_GS said:
What I would prefer is a translation of DQIV DS that makes the NPCs more comprehensible. Seriously, I had to give up on that game soon after getting the boat because the accents kept getting thicker and thicker, and I couldn't understand what anybody was saying. I think that project would be a better use of somebody's time. Of course, if you insist on going along with this and somebody decides to hack it into the game, I hope they keep my suggestion in mind.
No. The accents were not too hard to understand.
mban1032l.jpg

I can fully support this translation. It'd be nice to see what the Party chats were supposed to be. Don't forget to keep them in line with the accent scheme.

foxstar74

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isaac_GS, your opinion is appreciated. However, the Party Chat dialogue alone is 24,000 some lines of text (albeit 24,000 SHORT lines). To retranslate the entire script would be a much larger task. The fact that it's already in some form of English would make it less of a priority than something that is completed untranslated.

I made the site because others in the past have expressed a desire to see the DQ4 party chats being translated, or have expressed an interest in translating it. I am not personally "insisting" on anything, this is merely a resource I have created to allow anybody to contribute easily and collaboratively.

CocoaMac

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can take a look and translate some lines when I have the time. I noticed that the text was divided into two lines, but I'll try to translate each chunk as one line.

foxstar74

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update: Current status: still no dedicated translators for this. For would-be translators who feel they cannot translate due to lack of context or experience playing the game, I've created a compiled list of most of the different party chat characters, with brief descriptions and links to more detailed info about each character. This can help for any would-be translators who feel they are unfamiliar with the game, so you can simply read the resource I compiled and you'll understand the context of the game without needing to play it.
http://sites.google.com/site/dq4opentrans/...tor-s-Resources

Cocoamac, thx for ur offer of help, you can begin whenever you'd like. I haven't seen anything edited by Cocoamac yet so unless you're using a different alias, please signin with your google account so that we can see who's working on what file.

Anybody else interested to help, even one text file would be great. Not at the expense of your own projects, but please do translate here if it matches your interests and does not conflict with your own projects. To jump right in, click here:
http://sites.google.com/site/dq4opentrans/...nslation-Status

Teclo

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.backloggery.com
XP
Country
Isaac_GS said:
Oh ho ho... Americans and their total inability with accents.

SecretChao428

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Teclo said:
Isaac_GS said:
Oh ho ho... Americans and their total inability with accents.
Well I would not see it too much of an issue, but it seems when it comes to accents, usually bad puns and jokes tend to get pretty dicy and well that might explain why many don't want to see an accent I guess, then again there would be some similar ways to use the accents but remove the puns and jokes from the script, only problem, DQ6 uses a back form of LZ Huffman that is hard to figure out, just like in the SNES where Huffman has mainly been used for the script.

mastermx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This is an interesting project, I'm keeping an eye on this. I know this is an old thread. But hopefully we have a good ultimate version of DQIV. I can't do touch controls.

Dvor_nik

Trophies
Website
onitex.ru
XP
Country
Russia
Dragon Quest IV DS finally has Party Chat restored into the game using data from the android version:
Google this: Dragon Quest IV (NDS) English + Party Chat Script Patcher for Japan ROM

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.