Dragon Quest 35th Anniversary Special roundup - Dragon Quest XII revealed

3830361-screenshot2021-05-13at8.41.33am.png

Dragon Quest kicked off its 35th-anniversary celebration with several announcements, including news of the much-awaited follow up to one of its most successful JRPGs of the last 20 years. The first of the six new games revealed was a remake of one of the first games in the series: the now rather bizarrely named Dragon Quest III HD-2D. The game is being overseen by Octopath Traveler producer Masaaki Hayasaka, so it will come as no surprise that it looks and plays similarly to Octopath Traveler. Dragon Quest III HD-2D is slated for a worldwide simultaneous launch, though Square Enix did not announce an official release date or give any information as to what system the game will be available for.

Next up was the announcement of Dragon Quest X Offline. This is the long rumoured offline version of the Japanese-only MMORPG. The offline version of the game has a completely new look compared to the online version. Just like before, we're left in the dark as to what platforms it'll release on, but it will be out sometime in 2022 for Japan.

We then got news of a Dragon Quest XI spin-off game called Dragon Quest Treasures--again slated for a worldwide release. The game is set a few years before the events of XI and stars Erik and Mia as they hunt the world for treasure. Not much was said about the game other than it is not a JRPG.

This was followed up by news About Dragon Quest X Online with the announcement that Version 6 of Dragon Quest X Online is on the way later in 2021. This is still exclusive to Japan.

The 5th game announced was Dragon Quest Keshkeshi. Not much was said about this upcoming title, but we do know that it's a puzzle game for iOS and Android. It releases sometime in Japan in 2021. An overseas release is unconfirmed.

The final reveal was the one everyone has been waiting for: Dragon Quest XII: Flames of Fate. Sadly, all we got was a brief trailer showing the logo for the game. Series creator Yuji Horii said DQXII would be more adult in content and he also hinted at some changes to the traditional turn-based battle system, and that Square Enix was aiming for a simultaneous worldwide release. Again no announcement of what systems the game will be for.

Last edited by AmandaRose,

inetkun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dragon Quest fans are eating well. The DQIII 2d-Hd remake looks absolutely beautiful.

Back in 2018 DQX executive producer Yu Miyake expressed interest in bringing the game to new audiences as an offline version because he felt like there were good stories contained within and wanted people to experience them. I’m glad to see that his goal will be seemingly realized, now my fingers will be crossed for an English localization!

The other content is also very nice, and the ominous reveal of DQXII. Yes please. DQXI is definitely one of my favorite games from PS4, I’m looking forward to seeing where the mainline series goes next.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have made no secret that I think XI is the greatest game of all time so for me I am super excited to see what they do with Dragon Quest Treasures.

I beat dragon quests 1, 2, and 3 on the switch. some of the most fun I've had in a long time, but that was shortly after their release. I'm looking forward to 3 (one of my favorite games ever), but I kinda prefer the basic look of the original remake. I started 11 back when it was released, after having bought it on the pc (pc can't run it though, and this is before I knew of steam's return policy for that sort of predicament). I've only beaten the first stage (supposed to go to the second town). I don't remember why I'm going there, so I may have to start over. though, I think the game has a synopsis thing whenever it's loading up your save, so maybe not. I want to get back into it, hoping to before 12 comes out, because I liked what I played. it's just been really hard for me to get into new games (usually play the old ones on the wii u). I even wrote a blog on temp about that. I got into bravely default 2 for about 14 hours. I'm at the part where you're introduced to the card game, which I don't understand. the tutorial for it sucks. anyway, wonder boy comes out tomorrow, which I plan to buy after playing and beating monster boy, a spiritual successor, I think. it may whet my appetite to play these new games again. I still buy games, just don't play them, so I'm almost a collector at this point.

Reactions: AmandaRose

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
OP
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The cryptic Dragon Quest XII reveal is definitely the one that's got my interest the most. Looking forward to hearing more about that one!

Btw, nice roundup @AmandaRose :yay:
Thank you @Prans but @Chary deserves some of the credit as well. I wrote it and she fixed it to make sense :rofl2:

Reactions: Prans

xatzimi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not a fan of Dragon Quest at all, but I think it's really great that they're making the live-service MMO one into a standalone offline game. With how popular DQ is in Japan, I hope this starts a precedent for other developers to do the same.

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't speak Japanese so I don't know if it's mentioned in the video, but DQ Treasures looks like it might be made for mobile, is there information about this?

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
OP
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't speak Japanese so I don't know if it's mentioned in the video, but DQ Treasures looks like it might be made for mobile, is there information about this?
Nope it is for consoles although they never said which ones. It's rumoured to be a definite for the Switch and PS4/5

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I so wanted DQ4-6 ports to be announced for Switch, but at least DQ3 HD-2D looks promising and we were shown that DQ12 is an idea that exists. I heard there was a sale on DQ mobile ports yesterday and actually waited until after this presentation to buy DQ6 which is the only one of the Zenithia trilogy I never finished on DS. Figured now was a good time to just start over on Android for convenience if it isn't coming to Switch.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I so wanted DQ4-6 ports to be announced for Switch, but at least DQ3 HD-2D looks promising and we were shown that DQ12 is an idea that exists. I heard there was a sale on DQ mobile ports yesterday and actually waited until after this presentation to buy DQ6 which is the only one of the Zenithia trilogy I never finished on DS. Figured now was a good time to just start over on Android for convenience if it isn't coming to Switch.

I still own the original dragon quest vi for the super famicom. I think it's complete. there's a really shitty white and blue map that comes with it. it's on my shelf still. I'm not sure how far I got in it though, just don't remember. I think you were over at my house when we plier'd the tabs off my snes to enable super famicom games to be run.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr