Dr. Mario World (iOS and Android) Shutting Down October 31, 2021

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
never played it. i just wish other games like FE:H would be nicer with it's Drop rate's for five stars.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Casual gamers don't care about these types of games, unless it's COD, Fortnite, or any(insert trendy mobile game here).. Etc

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure what you mean. Haven't "Match 3" games collectively generated millions (or possibly billions) in revenue at this point?
You mean Candy Crush? Well i'm taking about a Mario themed puzzle game, casuals won't be interested in either a Mario themed game nor the simple/old gameplay style, that's what i'm saying.

SDA

Shame Yourself
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Never played this game, but I'm glad it's going to die. If you don't remember, Dr. Mario World got quite negative reviews at launch - most notably, Glenn Fox of Gamezebo gave a 2/5 scoring - because of the many microtransactions present in it. For every single item used in the game, you had to pay with real money!

Let's see if Mario Kart Tour will end in the same way.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Makes sense, Dr. Mario has never been a particularly great game to begin with, I'd much rather play Puyo Puyo or even Columns. Back in the day when all there was, was Tetris and Dr. Mario, there was some merit to Dr. Mario's existence (though Tetris is undeniably the far better series and concept), but now it's been completely outdone, and I don't know why Nintendo tries anything with the series at all anymore. They'd probably be better off re-exploring the Wario's Woods concept instead in this day and age.

Kwyjor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For every single item used in the game, you had to pay with real money!
I think I was playing it even after it was initially released, and I don't recall being obliged to spend money. It's not really any worse than any mobile game in that regard – there's just barely enough free stuff to let you play the game, but the possibility of paying money to make everything so much easier is constantly dangled in front of you.

but now it's been completely outdone, and I don't know why Nintendo tries anything with the series at all anymore.
Have you seen any of the championship games?
https://tetrisinterest.com/dr-mario-world-championship/

Gameplay aside, there's plenty of nostalgia for Dr. Mario and a lot of the music is still highly recognizable.

They'd probably be better off re-exploring the Wario's Woods concept instead in this day and age.
I absolutely agree it's a shame that more hasn't been done with Wario's Woods. It's maddeningly addictive. I'm guessing they figured there was no way to get it to work on the Game Boy back in the day, but that's hardly an excuse anymore. Maybe they figured it lacked the same appealing simplicity?

I don't think there have even been any prominent rip-offs of Wario's Woods (unlike Dr. Mario). I guess Super Puzzle Platformer and Shovel Knight: Pocket Dungeon (and the related Puzzle Knights) have a vague resemblance.

Last edited by Kwyjor,

SDA

Shame Yourself
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I think I was playing it even after it was initially released, and I don't recall being obliged to spend money. It's not really any worse than any mobile game in that regard – there's just barely enough free stuff to let you play the game, but the possibility of paying money to make everything so much easier is constantly dangled in front of you.
Ah, it's you again. What nice.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gameplay aside, there's plenty of nostalgia for Dr. Mario and a lot of the music is still highly recognizable.

I'm not saying there isn't nostalgia or that there isn't good music or good qualities in general for the series. But I gotta say, that being a casual and not someone that plays on a pro level, just as most other people playing this series are, there isn't much here to keep me playing this over something like Puyo Puyo. I'm sure the competitive scene cares, but that crowd alone isn't going to keep such a game alive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)