Dr Kawashima's Brain Training is heading to the West for the Nintendo Switch

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Prans, Oct 11, 2019.

1. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Ebay 2 quid

AdenTheThird likes this.
  2. Bernhard

Bernhard Psycho

May 2, 2016
    United States
    everything can rais your IQ even s#%

3. DANTENDO

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Yeh mayb in the game ther will be a poo color test sorting lightest to darkest

Bernhard likes this.
  4. Bernhard

Bernhard Psycho

May 2, 2016
    United States
    lets see
    beeing colorblind is a bad thing then

5. Dax_Fame

Dax_Fame Annoying Member

Jan 16, 2015
    United States
    Mom's house
    Ummm, YES! I have always had a good time with these games and this looks awesome! No idea it existed!

I read a little into this after playing the 3DS game, as the claims of the good Dr. seemed a bit bold!

Yes, you are correct, there is no chance of exercises like this raising your IQ. However it improves a particular set of functions in your noodle that can make certain tasks... easier? quicker?

So while it doesn't make you more intelligent it isn't a COMPLETE waste of time, especially if you're having fun doing it :)

6. DANTENDO

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Read what an IQ test involves and youl realize Yr Talking rubbish

7. Dax_Fame

Dax_Fame Annoying Member

Jan 16, 2015
    United States
    Mom's house
    I know what it involves and research seems to conclude that these sorts of things can make your sharper but they do not increase intelligence or raise IQ.

Research of course doesn't PROVE anything.

8. eyeliner

eyeliner Has an itch needing to be scratched.

Feb 17, 2006
    Portugal
    It will not raise your IQ, it will improve your cognitive skills and arithmetic functions, however. It doesn't teach you math, or anything for that matter. It tests your logical thinking speed and helps you develop some shortcuts in order to improve on the small calculations involved.

But it's a damn good tool.

Ryccardo likes this.
  9. galneon

galneon GBAtemp Regular

Jul 9, 2006
    United States
    I don't think most people realize how much they have to gain by improving or refreshing fundamental skills, like the ones this game encourages. Twelve years after University, I was surprised to see how much more efficient my mental math became when I began counting all of my calories and macronutrients earlier this year. It's even made it easier to visualize numbers more generally, and after a few months I was able to do caloric density calculations on the fly and keep count of calories, macros, and fat types without taking notes throughout the day. Tangible, practical results from practicing a lot of basic arithmetic and using visualization which save me time and lead to fewer mistakes (and I'm not even getting into the health benefits of knowing precisely what is going into my body).

I'm in my mid 30s. My age rounds up to 40. If I get to contribute one modicum of wisdom, this is it: Though the learning curve of something may appear shallow, the extent to which one can improve their technique, efficiency, and knowledge is always underappreciated. Never scoff when you hear that someone is an expert in anything, because I promise there is more to their pursuit than any disinterested party realizes.

banjo2 likes this.
  10. eyeliner

eyeliner Has an itch needing to be scratched.

Feb 17, 2006
    Portugal
    Hook me up for some quality gameturbating.

11. Saviouz

Saviouz Member

Newcomer
    May 30, 2008
    Italy
    day one purchase

12. Stealphie

Stealphie GBAtemp Regular

Mar 27, 2019
    Brazil
    Rio Grande do Sul
    Dr Kawashima for smash

13. banjo2

banjo2 little man

May 31, 2016
    United States
    gamer armchair
    Sorry to disappoint, but

14. nifoc2099

nifoc2099 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 13, 2018
    Singapore
    One Noob question - Can we use our fingers to write instead of stylus?

Last edited by nifoc2099, Oct 15, 2019
  15. DANTENDO

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Noone replied back to you I'd email Dr kawashima

MrCokeacola and nifoc2099 like this.
  16. banjo2

banjo2 little man

May 31, 2016
    United States
    gamer armchair
    The hardware says yes, but idk if that'd be viable

17. StrayGuitarist

StrayGuitarist A genuine feline disaster.

Mar 28, 2019
    United States
    Pallyfornia
    IQ in itself is an incredibly flawed way of measuring intelligence that's been proven to basically have no true meaning in the real world.

18. Enryx25

Enryx25 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 25, 2016
    Italy
    Yeah but the touchscreen is not going to be accurate.
    BTW there is no need to use your fingers because the stylus comes with the game

19. wafflaffle

wafflaffle Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 18, 2019
    United States
    I mean if you thought about it hard enough, you could probably narrow it down to a few items.

20. Brigand

Brigand Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 3, 2018
    Australia
    Downunda
    Oh, of course. I knew what it was. I was on a specific diet that year. However, had it been something complex like eggs benedict with maple-glazed bacon and 2 slices of sourdough toast, served with a glass of pine-orange juice and a side of goji berries, I doubt I would have fared so well. The exercise itself is a good tool for training memory (I believe there were other exercises that did a similar thing), but the concept becomes humorous and pointless once the time between you writing down what you had for breakfast and you turning the game on again exceeds a period of 1-2 months.

I suppose that's the fault with any Brain Training exercise really, if you don't keep it up, they're not going to do much for you. I'm really not sure who is going to religiously pick up their Switch on a regular basis to play some Brain Training. It was more understandable with the DS, because a broader range of people owned one, and they were far more friendly as a handheld system. Switch just seems like a weird choice for a game of this specific kind. It would probably fare better as a mobile title.

wafflaffle likes this.