Gaming DQIX or TOI

tommyt

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
A question to see which one these games people a playing at the moment.

Which one do you prefer? and Why?

Anne Noise

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm 25 hours into TOI and 15 hours into DQIX, and I prefer TOI thusfar, solely because the combat system is way more involved, whereas DQIX is another menu-based RPG, which I've been playing for the past twenty years, haha.

I haven't played DQIX online, though.

And honestly, once I get somewhere good in TOI with the translated ROM, I plan on using the Japanese ROM to play online anyway.

CrimzonEyed said:

Tales of Innocence.

dysan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
I'll have to say TOI as well even though I haven't played both games that much...TOI seems more polished and fun...

baramos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have to say DQ IX, ToI is shorter and gets repetitive towards the 2nd half of the game every dungeon is just some hallways regardless of appearance but it is a good game I'd say 8.5/10.

DQ IX is longer has better music and looks better not to mention the class system is well done. I beat it yesterday with about 35 hours in in contrast took me 24 to beat ToI I'd give it a 9.25/10.

I personally prefer DQ IXs fighting system but I also really enjoyed ToIs since there both well refined really depends on your person preference.

On a side note I have zero desire to go back and mess around with guild dungeons after I beat ToI yet I've put another 6 hours into DQ IX since I beat it doing quests and treasure map dungeons.

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
DQIX...I don't know why.
Still ToI is a really great game. I'm a huge fan of the Tales series...Tales of Hearts is my favourite game ever. You should check it out...of course, if you don't mind it being in japanese
yaynds.gif

shiningnegro

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've never played a dragon quest game but im really enjoying this, and tales of innocence the action and dialogue are awesome i have to keep switching from one to the other XD i can't choose one

airpirate545

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
tales of innocence disappointed me, it was utter crap for a tales game imo. they should leave tales games in the hands of tales studios. dq ix for me.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
This would have been a good poll.

I've never been a fan of the tales series - I like to play RPGs before bed, and action RPGs don't make me sleepy...or make me think...

Both are good though. DQ9.

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I would say both, but if I had to choose, I'll say ToI for the story (even if I'm not very far in those two games)

pitman

Addicted to Magical Girls
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
baramos said:
I have to say DQ IX, ToI is shorter and gets repetitive towards the 2nd half of the game every dungeon is just some hallways regardless of appearance but it is a good game I'd say 8.5/10.

DQ IX is longer has better music and looks better not to mention the class system is well done. I beat it yesterday with about 35 hours in in contrast took me 24 to beat ToI I'd give it a 9.25/10.

I personally prefer DQ IXs fighting system but I also really enjoyed ToIs since there both well refined really depends on your person preference.

On a side note I have zero desire to go back and mess around with guild dungeons after I beat ToI yet I've put another 6 hours into DQ IX since I beat it doing quests and treasure map dungeons.

Summed up pretty good except I like ToI battle system more than DQ IX since battled is fast paced and I like pulling off some crazy combo.

So both.

xXKronoXx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Both have their merits, but I'm going to have to say DQIX based on one factor.

The dungeons. Seriosuly, the dungeons in ToI are some of the most attrocious I've ever had the misfortune of playing. It doesn't help that they are lacking a map for the dungeons in ToI.

For that reason alone I can give the contest to DQIX. I do like the battle mechanics of ToI more, as well as the story.

D

Deleted-188346

DQIX, I thought the story of TOI was awful. I dislike games that take themselves far too seriously even though they have a childish story. And, the navigation in TOI is awful. DQIX is fantastic.

manoelpdb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I didnt play TOI yet so I cant tell you about it.
But I can recommend DQIX to you because is beyond great.
By the way, IMO, turn based battles is much better than action battles.

tsol

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Played about halfway through both of them, and love the stories for both.

I have to say that even though DQIX is one big grind, it dosn't feel like one, and even though ToI isn't much of a grind, it feels like one.. probably because of a lack of character customization? I don't know. Battles feel more strategic in DQIX as well.. battles in ToI kind of feel like punching a punching bag to death over and over.

I have to give full props for the translation work in ToI though, better than most professional translations. The character interactions in ToI really make the game for me, the amount of party banter and events keep you in the game more than the gameplay does. Character interaction is a non-issue in DQ!X, so in a way these games are polar oppisites in what make them good. Its hard to say clear cut which is better, because they are both strong in different area's.

maxxpower18

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As much as I love action rpgs I gotta admit Dragon Quest has always been extremely charming and addictive, easily my favorite turn based rpg games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.