DQ IX Story Solo Competition

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Contest cancelled, too many ways to cheat and not enough moderation.

Though if you guys still want to challenge it without a prize, then I would love to see if anyone can beat me!

Here is what I did: Soloed Wight knight, The Witch, and The Raging conflagration. I almost soloed Leviathan. I did all this in 8 hours of game time. If you can solo Leviathan, then I will give my self proclaimed crown to you.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
seahorsepip said:
How do you wanna check savegame editors???
I quess this will be verry hard to check.....
I actually have not heard of any specific editors for this game. I know I would not be hosting this kind of contest for pokemon. For sure.
This is a new release, and I doubt 2 months is enough time for someone to program an stable editor for the sole reason of winning a 20 dollar gift.

D

Deleted User

Sterl500 said:
I actually have not heard of any specific editors for this game. I know I would not be hosting this kind of contest for pokemon. For sure.
This is a new release, and I doubt 2 months is enough time for someone to program an stable editor for the sole reason of winning a 20 dollar gift.
What about this one -> http://gbatemp.net/t239740-dragon-quest-ix-save-editor

I don't know how many people (are able to) use it, though.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn it. Well I do have reference points as to what "fair" data is. I know how fucking hard this was for me, and I can almost guarantee if people are over leveled more than I was, with lower play time... The data isn't "fair". I played the game without idling, and there was more cursing going around than a COD match. As you said Takashi, I wouldn't know how people would use this either. If a translation project came up, I COULD ask nicely for them to wait until my contest is over. I don't think this is going to have to be cancelled after all.

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So...this is a contest to see if people can figure out the fastest way to grind basically.
And if you're allowing RTS then this can be abused quite easily.
When you gain access to Quarantomb you can easily find Metal slimes which give 2000+ XP.
With RTS you can save before you enter the battle and reload if the slime runs away.
If I recall, Minstrels can use Swords/Fans/Whips so you can learn Metal Slash.

Of course, there's the matter of reaching that point the fastest I suppose.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zarcon said:
So...this is a contest to see if people can figure out the fastest way to grind basically.
When you gain access to Quarantomb you can easily find Metal slimes which give 2000+ XP.
With RTS you can save before you enter the battle and reload if the slime runs away.

I have seen maybe two metal slimes in the course of my entire play through. I really doubt they are that common. If you spend a lot of time searching for metal slimes then that would probably put you run into jeopardy. I had the same idea, and I figured out that the games random number generator is already mostly fixed for spawned mobs (so if the metal slime isn't there, you can't just reload the RTS and it will suddenly appear), and boss battles are always generally the same if you didn't RTS before you triggered to the boss. I doubt RTS is going to make that much of an impact, I used it only for seeing if I could just completely overpower a boss without extra leveling, and so I would not have to make the same trip 30 fucking times. xD

Believe me I grinded the tomb like no other, and I have never once seen a metal slime.

EDIT: I just tested it. I ran into the map until I see a mob. I RTS, and enter the battle. I then proceeded to keep reloading and battling until my game froze... it was the same monsters every time. 6/6 battles. I know it cannot be abused that way.

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Sterl500 said:
Zarcon said:

I have seen maybe two metal slimes in the course of my entire play through. I really doubt they are that common. If you spend a lot of time searching for metal slimes then that would probably put you run into jeopardy. I had the same idea, and I figured out that the games random number generator is already mostly fixed for spawned mobs, and boss battles are always generally the same if you didn't RTS before you triggered to the boss. I doubt RTS is going to make that much of an impact, I used it only for seeing if I could just completely overpower a boss without extra leveling, and so I would not have to make the same trip 30 fucking times. xD
It's actually very easy, I've alredy leveled up to level 15 three classes for each of my four party members. hunting metal slimes.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Goli said:
Sterl500 said:
Zarcon said:

I have seen maybe two metal slimes in the course of my entire play through. I really doubt they are that common. If you spend a lot of time searching for metal slimes then that would probably put you run into jeopardy. I had the same idea, and I figured out that the games random number generator is already mostly fixed for spawned mobs, and boss battles are always generally the same if you didn't RTS before you triggered to the boss. I doubt RTS is going to make that much of an impact, I used it only for seeing if I could just completely overpower a boss without extra leveling, and so I would not have to make the same trip 30 fucking times. xD
It's actually very easy, I've alredy leveled up to level 15 three classes for each of my four party members. hunting metal slimes.
Where was your hunting grounds?? I have seen very few metal slimes so far.

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Sterl500 said:
Goli said:
Sterl500 said:
Zarcon said:

Where was your hunting grounds?? I have seen very few metal slimes so far.
The place where you fight the Raging Contagion.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I guess I might as well go and see if I can drum up some metal slimes, because I know I have never seen a MS there. :/

How many hours were you playing at that time?

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Sterl500 said:
Well, I guess I might as well go and see if I can drum up some metal slimes, because I know I have never seen a MS there. :/

What? i don't really understand your question.
I've been playing for about 15 hours, about to beat the Lleviathan but I've been sidequesting a little.
If you mean how many hours I was grinding, then I don't know, not too much, probably an hour or somewhere around that amount... Maybe I'm just lucky
tongue.gif
Also, your competition's flawed, you could just get to Stormway, recruit 3 characters. dismiss and erase them before fighting Lleviathan and then provide the save file. Maybe you should make a rule about providing some kind of proof like pictures or something when fighting against the bosses.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Goli said:
Sterl500 said:

What? i don't really understand your question.
I've been playing for about 15 hours, about to beat the Lleviathan but I've been sidequesting a little.
If you mean how many hours I was grinding, then I don't know, not too much, probably an hour or somewhere around that amount... Maybe I'm just lucky
tongue.gif
I did some side questing as well, and perhaps you are lucky... I just know I would like for someone to try and do better than me. I know RTS has no affect on already spawned mobs, and I know MS aren't THAT common. Even over leveling yourself for the bosses isn't a guarantee win, as you are the sole target of debuffs and attacks. I only beat the Raging Conflagration with pure luck, and if I had gone 2-3 more levels higher... it still would have been luck. It was basically attack and then heal, attack then heal. Kasap on you twice will almost double the physical damage you take, and he can poison as well. I also blocked and dodged, and had two rough and tumbles in that battle, and two crits. Pure luck if you ask me.

Zarcon

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just run around the Quarantomb (Place you fought Raging Contagion) you run into them fairly quickly.
I just ran into 7 of them in 5 minutes. Of course there will be "dry" periods where you won't find one for a minute or two.
Considering the added difficulty of solo'ing, MS are the fastest way to level with a bit of RTS abuse.
And when I said RTS abuse, I meant saving before battle once you've already found a MS in case it runs away during battle.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zarcon said:
Just run around the Quarantomb (Place you fought Raging Contagion) you run into them fairly quickly.
I just ran into 7 of them in 5 minutes. Of course there will be "dry" periods where you won't find one for a minute or two.
Considering the added difficulty of solo'ing, MS are the fastest way to level with a bit of RTS abuse.
And when I said RTS abuse, I meant saving before battle once you've already found a MS in case it runs away during battle.
Have you figured out how long it takes to get to Quarantomb from the beginning of the game? I spent probably 4 - 5 hours just getting to Quarantomb, and another hour just getting to a point to beat TRC. I also think that the amount of party members you have affects what monsters you see too. I just got together all four of my party members, and I am seeing different monsters appearing in other groups that I had not previously seen in the groups I was battling. I saw the monsters in the area when I went through the first time, but they were appearing in different groupings together.

EDIT: Yea, I just spent about 30 min in Quarantomb, and have never even seen a Metal Slime. God Zarcon, I need some of you lucky charms. xD

And for the people that care, the challenge is still out there. If you can beat me, use any fair means possible. If it was put into the game, it's all fair play (RTS is the only out of game fair play thingy).

EDIT: Damn Goli, I forgot you can dismiss characters... Yea, I will put down, that they must provide in game screenies of boss battles.

Zarcon

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sterl500 said:
Zarcon said:
Have you figured out how long it takes to get to Quarantomb from the beginning of the game? I spent probably 4 - 5 hours just getting to Quarantomb, and another hour just getting to a point to beat TRC. I also think that the amount of party members you have affects what monsters you see too. I just got together all four of my party members, and I am seeing different monsters appearing in other groups that I had not previously seen in the groups I was battling. I saw the monsters in the area when I went through the first time, but they were appearing in different groupings together.

EDIT: Yea, I just spent about 30 min in Quarantomb, and have never even seen a Metal Slime. God Zarcon, I need some of you lucky charms. xD

And for the people that care, the challenge is still out there. If you can beat me, use any fair means possible. If it was put into the game, it's all fair play (RTS is the only out of game fair play thingy).

EDIT: Damn Goli, I forgot you can dismiss characters... Yea, I will put down, that they must provide in game screenies of boss battles.

They seem to spawn in specific spawn points. I just run circles in the top right 3x3 area. They'll run if they see you first so keep an ear out for the sound.
It goes without saying that you should avoid all monsters unless it's a MS while doing this.

Also, with dismissing characters and screenies...can't they just hire a party to help level up and then solo bosses?
Then dismiss them before submitting the save?

There's really just too much to keep track of and ways to cheat out your contest. :/

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zarcon said:
Sterl500 said:
Zarcon said:

They seem to spawn in specific spawn points. I just run circles in the top right 3x3 area. They'll run if they see you first so keep an ear out for the sound.
It goes without saying that you should avoid all monsters unless it's a MS while doing this.

Also, with dismissing characters and screenies...can't they just hire a party to help level up and then solo bosses?
Then dismiss them before submitting the save?

There's really just too much to keep track of and ways to cheat out your contest. :/
You probably right. Oh well I may just lock the contest. :/ It's a shame really, I feel proud of myself now for possibly being the only one to have done this the hard way. I was hoping for someone to challenge me.
ohnoes.png

Zarcon

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There's bound to be challengers eventually with this kind of game.
Especially since it makes it so easy to do challenge runs.
Don't have to manually kill off party members to solo and such.

I might take up the challenge even...just not until I finish the game normally.
tongue.gif

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zarcon said:

tongue.gif
No, when you start the game you can completely ignore getting party members. In my case, I actually just missed that part.

EDIT: Well I better tell mthrnite to call off the lock request.

Zarcon

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sterl500 said:
Zarcon said:

tongue.gif
No, when you start the game you can completely ignore getting party members. In my case, I actually just missed that part.

EDIT: Well I better tell mthrnite to call off the lock request.
So did I.
But that's my point, this game is super friendly towards challenge runs.
In other RPGs where people do challenge runs they have to go through all kinds of hoops and hurdles to get the conditions right.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night