dpg questions

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by dude1, Aug 15, 2006.

1. dude1
    OP

dude1 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 11, 2006
    Canada
    i hear that dpg is a modified mpeg1 file am i right?
    well if so how is it different from a mpeg formated to fit a ds size of screen?
    and are there any other video formats that a ds can play?
    or can i convert a video file to a .dpg by hand (i hear it had modified headers or something around standard mpeg)

i ask because my main machine is a mac (dual g5) and i wont care if i need to convert it nd size it to fit on it because its a fast video encoder but dpg tools of any sort arnt ported to a mac yet
    if not i have vpc what is the speed of it doing .dpg encoding? orin my living room i also have a 700mhz p3 satellite box would it be faster than vpc and what would a estimate be for speed

2. goretech

goretech Member

Newcomer
    Aug 14, 2006
    United States
    I too have a dpg question... anyone able to get them to play on a PC for testing purpose? I can convert them fine but until I decide on a cart I want to see quality of playback on my PC.

So we need a dpg codec? [​IMG]

3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    DPG is a standard MPEG file with a modified header as far as I am aware.

As for VPC it should not take that long if it works at all as MPEG is simple and you are doing a simple resize and encode 99% of the time.
    Also there was another thread like this a little while back which may help in some way:
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=34235&hl=mac

As for goretech's question: using the standard DPGtools package there is an app called dpgdec.exe, fire your .DPG through this and you can play it back. I hear some early versions of batchDPG may produce files that do not work with this though.

4. dude1
    OP

dude1 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 11, 2006
    Canada
    anyone know how to use that platform-independent header maker listed in that topic

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice