Homebrew DownloadMii - A Homebrew Online Marketplace

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're doing a JSON server thing it may just be better to not use PHP or whatnot ans just have a simple Java or Python server running the thing. Unless of course you need a web frontend, in which case PHP or something similar might be better. It actually wouldn't be horrible if the entire frontend was on the 3DS (including login and such) because it would be an easy way for developers to go straight from testing to publishing.

Reactions: filfat

TidusWulf

Real Aloha
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a great idea. But how do you plan to keep bandwidth costs down? I can't think of any third party hosts that would allow downloading without interacting with either a captcha or at least a timer, and self-hosting can get expensive if it picks up steam

But def this is a HUGE step in the right direction to get people to want to be involved in homebrew.

yodamerlin

Bok bok.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is a great idea. But how do you plan to keep bandwidth costs down? I can't think of any third party hosts that would allow downloading without interacting with either a captcha or at least a timer, and self-hosting can get expensive if it picks up steam

But def this is a HUGE step in the right direction to get people to want to be involved in homebrew.
How much bandwidth do you it will need?

TidusWulf

Real Aloha
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Well I don't really know. Text is minimal to send, images would all be icon size, so that's not really a big deal. but the ZIPs that contain the Homebrew can be either KBs or MBs. All depends. Then, once it picks up steam and hundreds of people start downloading, it's going to add up. obviously it would fluctuate when something new and exciting is added to the downloader, but then if a dev pushes an update, every user has to download the update, so that's more bandwidth right there. I'm just speculating since it is something to take into consideration. Realistically, the more popular this application is (and it will be if it works), the more it will cost to maintain.

AndrewPH

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.classicube.net
XP
Country
United States
Well I don't really know. Text is minimal to send, images would all be icon size, so that's not really a big deal. but the ZIPs that contain the Homebrew can be either KBs or MBs. All depends. Then, once it picks up steam and hundreds of people start downloading, it's going to add up. obviously it would fluctuate when something new and exciting is added to the downloader, but then if a dev pushes an update, every user has to download the update, so that's more bandwidth right there. I'm just speculating since it is something to take into consideration. Realistically, the more popular this application is (and it will be if it works), the more it will cost to maintain.

I work for a hosting company and lemme tell ya, bandwidth is cheap as heck. Especially in the amounts this'll be using.

Space is the more limiting factor, but I suspect even that won't be an issue, as compiled homebrew projects tend to have rather small filesizes.

Reactions: Fpsrussia117

TidusWulf

Real Aloha
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I work for a hosting company and lemme tell ya, bandwidth is cheap as heck. Especially in the amounts this'll be using.

Space is the more limiting factor, but I suspect even that won't be an issue, as compiled homebrew projects tend to have rather small filesizes.

Well, that's good :D

and yeah, filesizes for homebrew (with the exception of SSBB patches such as Project M) are almost always super tiny. Maybe just hosting on Google drive would be all this project needs.

filfat

CTO @ Nordcom Group Inc.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.sweetsideofsweden.com
XP
Country
Sweden
Well, that's good :D

and yeah, filesizes for homebrew (with the exception of SSBB patches such as Project M) are almost always super tiny. Maybe just hosting on Google drive would be all this project needs.
(Sorry double post)

Actually I have some free azure storage so we dont have to worry about Google drive :)

filfat

CTO @ Nordcom Group Inc.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.sweetsideofsweden.com
XP
Country
Sweden

True, in fact Bandwidth is free on Azure, you pay for CPU work instead :)

(Anyone noticed got multiple quotes to work in the same post by clearing my cache)
Don't worry, I'm pretty sure filfat does a swan dive into a pile of gold each morning like Scrooge McDuck.

And for you losers who didn't get that, DuckTales was the shit back in my day!
I don't swim in money.... I only take a bath in them... :P (Joking)

Its an virtual machine on Azure I don't pay for Bandwidth, I pay for hours :)
It costs about 0.2 SEK an hour or 0.2/7 dollars :)

Reactions: JoostinOnline

Oishikatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could definitely help with the web part of this, have you decided on a language yet?

If using PHP I would strongly recommend picking a framework, I'd suggest Silex or something similar. In particular because Silex allows you to get started quickly but keeps things clean and organized, and being based on Symfony makes it much simpler to scale up if needed in the future.

Reactions: filfat

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s