Website
Visit site
XP
Country
source IGN

Nintendo Makes Student Games Available for Download
DS titles you won't find anywhere else.

by Anoop Gantayat

US, March 12, 2007 - If you like to make sure and get your hands on all things related to the DS, you're going to have to travel just a bit for this one. Nintendo Japan has announced the start of a new program through which student DS games will be made available for download via "DS Station" retail kiosks.

Starting 3/8, the company will make available four winning projects from its Nintendo Game Seminar 2006 game development course. A new title will be made available every two weeks. Like all DS Station downloads, these downloads will be free of charge.

Here's a look at the games that will be offered:

A Team: Attoiu Ma Ni? Ekaki Uta -- Draw pictures based off music in order to communicate with aliens who have come to earth.
dss03.jpg
dss02.jpg
dss04.jpg

B Team: Kuru Kuru Tonzuran -- An action game where you swing a steel ball in order to destroy obstacles and help mice who have been captured by a cat.
dss09.jpg
dss06.jpg
dss07.jpg

C Team: UJ No Tegakichou -- A communication/growth game where you draw pictures to interact with the mysterious UJ creatures. This title doubles as a daily planner.
dss11.jpg
dss10.jpg
dss12.jpg

D Team: Hana Otoko to Hana Onna -- An adventure game where a male and female player (playing as the Flower Boy and the Flower Girl of the title) input their voice when prompted.
dss15.jpg
dss16.jpg
dss17.jpg

For a look at these Japan-only downloads, check out impress watch

The Nintendo Game Seminar is a 10 month program that trains attendees in planning, programming, sound and all other areas of game development. Nintendo's own development staff provide tips as students create their own DS game projects.
======================
^i'm hoping to see these dumped in the near future, that would be awsome, and i hope these students get alot of recognition for their work.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah read this yesterday I think, be nice if something like this was done outside of Japan.

Akoji

+5 internets to psyfira for avatar.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah but it not the same to push students and push indies.

Students need the experience that working on a game gives and that can only be aqquired when working on a game and having delays and all.

While indies are sometimes indies because they want to be indies (like bands) i find it funny when people see indies developers like they would be the 3rd World countries of gaming. Im far more in for helping students to earn experience in the gaming world industries than helping indies. Some of them are indies only for the ''underground'' image that they earn from it. Sometime they are indies by a lack of fund and it a fact, but if they are good , one day or another one big studio will ask them to do one game.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like the look of Kuru Kuru Tonzuran! Nice idea too, hope that gets dumped! Looks better than most proper DS games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...