Download Student made DS games

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by TheStump, Mar 14, 2007.

Mar 14, 2007

Download Student made DS games by TheStump at 2:55 PM (1,126 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. TheStump
    OP

Member TheStump Got Wood?

Australia
    source IGN

Nintendo Makes Student Games Available for Download
    DS titles you won't find anywhere else.

by Anoop Gantayat

US, March 12, 2007 - If you like to make sure and get your hands on all things related to the DS, you're going to have to travel just a bit for this one. Nintendo Japan has announced the start of a new program through which student DS games will be made available for download via "DS Station" retail kiosks.

Starting 3/8, the company will make available four winning projects from its Nintendo Game Seminar 2006 game development course. A new title will be made available every two weeks. Like all DS Station downloads, these downloads will be free of charge.

Here's a look at the games that will be offered:

A Team: Attoiu Ma Ni? Ekaki Uta -- Draw pictures based off music in order to communicate with aliens who have come to earth.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    B Team: Kuru Kuru Tonzuran -- An action game where you swing a steel ball in order to destroy obstacles and help mice who have been captured by a cat.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    C Team: UJ No Tegakichou -- A communication/growth game where you draw pictures to interact with the mysterious UJ creatures. This title doubles as a daily planner.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    D Team: Hana Otoko to Hana Onna -- An adventure game where a male and female player (playing as the Flower Boy and the Flower Girl of the title) input their voice when prompted.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    For a look at these Japan-only downloads, check out impress watch

The Nintendo Game Seminar is a 10 month program that trains attendees in planning, programming, sound and all other areas of game development. Nintendo's own development staff provide tips as students create their own DS game projects.
    ======================
    ^i'm hoping to see these dumped in the near future, that would be awsome, and i hope these students get alot of recognition for their work.

2. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Yeah read this yesterday I think, be nice if something like this was done outside of Japan.

3. Gooseman

Newcomer Gooseman Advanced Member

Germany
    How come only Nintendo supports stuff like this! Never heard Sony done something like it!

4. killuncle

Newcomer killuncle Advanced Member

Kazakhstan
    I´m not a Sony fan at all, but I gotta say that Sony did have something like this:
    The Net Yaroze

[​IMG]

I hope we all can play this game sometime, Kuru Kuru Tonzuran kinda reminds me Pocky & Rocky and Odama [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Icarus

Member Icarus fire walk with me

United States
    The developers of LittleBigPlanet are actually indie developers and Sony supports them..

6. Akoji

Member Akoji +5 internets to psyfira for avatar.

Canada
    Yeah but it not the same to push students and push indies.

Students need the experience that working on a game gives and that can only be aqquired when working on a game and having delays and all.

While indies are sometimes indies because they want to be indies (like bands) i find it funny when people see indies developers like they would be the 3rd World countries of gaming. Im far more in for helping students to earn experience in the gaming world industries than helping indies. Some of them are indies only for the ''underground'' image that they earn from it. Sometime they are indies by a lack of fund and it a fact, but if they are good , one day or another one big studio will ask them to do one game.

7. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    I like the look of Kuru Kuru Tonzuran! Nice idea too, hope that gets dumped! Looks better than most proper DS games.

8. Akoji

Member Akoji +5 internets to psyfira for avatar.

Canada
    Yeah Kuru Kuru Tonzuran look cool and import friendly , the other seems to be heavly based or need knowledge about japanese culture/language.