Question Download section - why are the majority of downloads of my app still the older version?

hippy dave

BBMB
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I put my app in the Download section the other day, then not long after I updated it. The main orange "Download Now" button points to the latest version, the direct link in my forum thread is updated to point to the latest version, yet as I watch the numbers on the right of the downloads page, or in the history tab, more people are still downloading the first version than the latest update.

Am I doing something wrong? Is this gbatemp being weird? Or has someone on the internets somewhere posted a direct link to the older version?
Cheers

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't think the issue is GBAtemp download center, like you noticed the big button has the correct link, your thread too.
People can access the History tab and get the old one (for archival purpose?), but it shouldn't be the majority of users who care about old versions.
But I think the main problem is due to another website who made a release news about your tool, and didn't make a new one for the update, providing only the old link on their website.

Reactions: hippy dave

hippy dave

BBMB
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe change the location of the old download so there link don't work on the french site?
Nice suggestion but I don't think the gbatemp download centre is set up for that.

Maybe I'll try posting on their site later with google translate. It's not the end of the world anyway, the newer release is the same version of the app, just without the stray MacOS hidden files in the release zip.

Reactions: wicksand420

wicksand420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You always have to make sure people are getting the latest, to ensure that people aren't submitting bug reports for older versions. Maybe have someone who speaks french tell them to update there link to the latest version.

Reactions: hippy dave

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
can you edit the description for the old version, so as to indicate that this version is outdated , and provide a link to the newest version?

There should be a link like github with "/latest" on the end which gets resolved to the latest version.
I am pretty sure it does that by default, without having to add anything to the URL.

Reactions: Quantumcat

hippy dave

BBMB
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
can you edit the description for the old version, so as to indicate that this version is outdated , and provide a link to the newest version?
Thanks for the reply. That doesn't seem to be an option, I can edit the main description for the "resource", which contains all the versions, and I can edit the descriptions for updates, but I can't edit the version description for the original version. Whoever is downloading it from an external link wouldn't see a description from this site anyway, they've got this link which directly downloads the original version.

I am pretty sure it does that by default, without having to add anything to the URL.
The nice big orange "Download Now" button on the download page automatically updates to the latest version link, but it still points to a specific version. On my history tab, the two versions' download links end in /download?version=35412 and /download?version=35414. I did just check whether changing it to /download?version=latest would work, but got an error page. Might be a nice feature to add?
Thanks again.

Reactions: Quantumcat

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: @Sonic Angel Knight :bortz2: