Gaming Download Play multiplayer for VC games on the way?

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
European gamer Daan Koopman happens to own a Japanese 3DS, and has spread the word that an eShop update on that system has introduced multiplayer — through the use of Download Play — to Ice Climber, one of the NES freebies given to Ambassadors.

http://www.nintendol...player_in_japan

Japan only, thus far... think we'll see the same update on the European and American continents soon? It's almost like Nintendo are testing the waters by releasing the update in Japan first.

Reactions: 1 person

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It may not interess many people here, but I think that is a HUGE step foward

I agree with you,
there are some very interesting multiplayer in NES, GB and GBC games.
Hopefully it means we will see multiplayer in future VC games, like GBA and SNES

Reactions: 2 people

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I agree with you,
Hopefully it means we will see multiplayer in future VC games, like GBA and SNES
I'm a bit worried about GBA... Nintendo is likely worried that the ambassadors are going to whine that, "You said only WE would get the GBA games because we're ambassadors, and they're mine, all mine! WAAAHHHHHH!!!" lol.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
i don't get why they can't do wi-fi but still it's good to know
Download play is a multiplayer function where one or more players can download a game over WiFi from another player and then play with/against each other. What is your complaint really?

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Download play is a multiplayer function where one or more players can download a game over WiFi from another player and then play with/against each other. What is your complaint really?
Um... since when? Download play is for local play only.
WiFi as a term does not specify local multiplayer or online multiplayer. The latter appears to be what he was referring to though.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
WiFi as a term does not specify local multiplayer or online multiplayer. The latter appears to be what he was referring to though.
Actually it does. You need a wifi connection to play online, but you don't to play local. If you did, then you wouldn't be able to play local when not near a wifi router.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Actually it does. You need a wifi connection to play online, but you don't to play local. If you did, then you wouldn't be able to play local when not near a wifi router.
Wi-Fi (sometimes spelled Wifi or WiFi) is a popular technology that allows an electronic device to exchange data wirelessly (using radio waves) over a computer network, including high-speed Internet connections
Do note how it says including instead of saying something along the lines of it being a requirement.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
It may not interess many people here, but I think that is a HUGE step foward

I agree with you,
SNES is a dream that I have. But I think we will not see this on 3DS.
(I'm counting on Wii U VC)

I'm a bit worried about GBA... Nintendo is likely worried that the ambassadors are going to whine that, "You said only WE would get the GBA games because we're ambassadors, and they're mine, all mine! WAAAHHHHHH!!!" lol.
I saw many gbatemp users crying about that "oh I'm ambassador, and I want exclusivity", but Nintendo should leak GBA games for Wii U (wii u pad is a "portable" device right?), if this happens, that account integration stuff will allow everybody to have GBA ambassador's games.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
So if you decide to play a local multiplayer game against someone else does your 3DS not establish a WiFi connection to the other device? If not, then please explain what kind of magical transport method your 3DS utilizes.

WiFi is a local wireless transport method. In order to have Internet access it has to bridge some other connection to enable itself to connect to the web. I'm assuming Nintendo is causing some confusion by their use of their "Nintendo WiFi connection" term, however WiFi as a technique is strictly local and does not magically establish access to the Internet on its own.

If you still don't believe me then please do go and have a look at the definitions of the different IEEE 802.11 standards.

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if you decide to play a local multiplayer game against someone else does your 3DS not establish a WiFi connection to the other device? If not, then please explain what kind of magical transport method your 3DS utilizes.

WiFi is a local wireless transport method. In order to have Internet access it has to bridge some other connection to enable itself to connect to the web. I'm assuming Nintendo is causing some confusion by their use of "Nintendo WiFi connection", however WiFi as a technique is strictly local and does not magically establish access to the Internet on its own.

If you still don't believe me then please do go and have a look at the definitions of the different IEEE 802.11 standards.
I thought it worked the same way the old gba wireless connection worked. That little peripheral thing that let you trade and battle pokemon wirelessly? That didnt use wifi.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States

WiFi is a local wireless transport method. In order to have Internet access it has to bridge some other connection to enable itself to connect to the web. I'm assuming Nintendo is causing some confusion by their use of their "Nintendo WiFi connection" term, however WiFi as a technique is strictly local and does not magically establish access to the Internet on its own.

I think I understand what you mean... sort of. wireless connection between two devices without a computer network is called an "ad-hoc" wi-fi connection, which is what the 3DS uses in local play, am I right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-fi

But at any rate, since people generally use the term "wi-fi" in everyday conversation as synonymous with WLAN specifically, I think it's safe to say DJPlace is referring specifically to online-play, not local-play. I know that's what I (and most other people I've heard) mean when they make the distinction between local multiplayer and online/wifi multiplayer.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I thought it worked the same way the old gba wireless connection worked. That little peripheral thing that let you trade and battle pokemon wirelessly? That didnt use wifi.
Yes, you're right. The GBA wireless adapter did not use WiFi, but the reason for that was because the GBA wireless adapter wasn't made following any of the IEEE 802.11 standards. By not following any of these standards the device does not have the qualifications to use the WiFi trademark. The techniques used in that device appears to be very similar though, one of the main differences being that it operates at a different frequency from what I gather.

But at any rate, since people generally use the term "wi-fi" in everyday conversation as synonymous with WLAN specifically, I think it's safe to say DJPlace is referring specifically to online-play, not local-play. I know that's what I (and most other people I've heard) mean when they make the distinction between local multiplayer and online/wifi multiplayer.

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Guys, really? DS local multiplayer uses a modified 802.11 spec. However, Wi-Fi generally means over the internet tubes, while Download Play or Local Wireless means the 802.11 mod.
Can we get over this already?

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Guys, really? DS local multiplayer uses a modified 802.11 spec. However, Wi-Fi generally means over the internet tubes, while Download Play or Local Wireless means the 802.11 mod.
Can we get over this already?
Had you read what has been said then you'd know that our little argument is done. He understands what I meant and I understand what he meant, there's little else to it.

Going back to the point of this topic, I think it's lovely that they're actually adding it as a Download play title instead of simply requiring both players to own the game in question. It really simplifies things whenever you feel like playing together or against one or more of your friends. I believe the main reason for not including online multiplayer is because the latency could make gameplay rather laggy and they'd likely have to build in interpolation if they'd wish to mitigate that.

Reactions: 2 people

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool