jimmy j

Awesome for hire.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
A friend asked me to have a crack at downgrading her PSP. I've flashed DS phat before, and I used to softmod a lot of xbox consoles, but I've never done PSP.

What tools/software will I need? (I want darkalex fw installed)
How do I check the current firmware version? (its a pink PSP, she thinks its 2.80)
What emulators should I get? (we want MAME, genesis, gba, SNES, N64, neo geo, xbox360* & ps1)

*j/k
wink.gif

A step-by-step would be most appreciated, my thanks in advance
smile.gif

Nenyana

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
To check the firmware version go to System Settings and then System information. To downgrade you will need an old (unpatched) copy of GTA Liberty City Stories or Lumines UMD. Without either of these you will not be able to downgrade.

If you have firmware at 3.03 or below you can use the GTA downgrader but if your firmware is higher than this then you will need Lumines (after upgrading to 3.50 if required).

It all depends on what firmware version you have and Motherboard type but I do think the 3.50 downgrader that uses Lumines is the easiest and it detects your Motherboard type too (used that downgrader 3-4 times with 100 success).

jimmy j

Awesome for hire.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
To check the firmware version go to System Settings and then System information. To downgrade you will need an old (unpatched) copy of GTA Liberty City Stories or Lumines UMD. Without either of these you will not be able to downgrade.

If you have firmware at 3.03 or below you can use the GTA downgrader but if your firmware is higher than this then you will need Lumines (after upgrading to 3.50 if required).

It all depends on what firmware version you have and Motherboard type but I do think the 3.50 downgrader that uses Lumines is the easiest and it detects your Motherboard type too (used that downgrader 3-4 times with 100 success).

Would I be able to use Lumines with firmware below 3.03?

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Let's not forget that anything that is 2.80 or less can be downgraded without any games I believe. 2.71 and below for sure without the need for an exploitable game.

jimmy j

Awesome for hire.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So the easiest method (whatever fw it has) is to upgrade to 3.50, then use the lumines exploit and the 3.50 downgrader that Nenyana mentioned?

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If it's above 2.71 and you have a copy of lumines within your grasp, then yes. I'd move to 3.50 (NOT 3.51) and downgrade from that point.

jimmy j

Awesome for hire.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think I understand (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong)

1. Download 3.50 firmware [from un-named site]
2. Put HEN 3.50 downgrader plus the recommended 1.50 patcher on the memorystick (I've got the instructions for this)
3. Run Lumines and follow downgrader instructions

That will leave me with a downgraded 1.50 PSP, right? Then I can upgrade to the latest dark alex firmware? Which version should I use?

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
1. update psp to fw 3.50
2. get the downgrader files + 1.50 eboot and put them in the correct folders on the memorystick.
3. double check that all files are in the right folders on your memorystick.
4. boot lumines, press start when the menu appears and you will be booted back to the xmb.
5. check the system settings and it should say: 3.50 HEN
6. now goto game --> memorystick and start the downgrader.
7. press x to confirm and wait till its done, the psp will reboot and you're at 1.50
8. now install custom firmware 3.40oe-a and start playing
biggrin.gif

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have IRC? Then head over to #psp-hacks on irc.dashhacks.com

There's ALWAYS someone there and they'll help you downgrade and upgrade to any version without any trouble (plus they have links to special programs that'll help you install them i.e. Easy Installers)

Now I have a question, when you guys say a copy of LCS or Lumines for those later firmware versions, does it have to be an actual physical UMD or can it be an ISO?

Nenyana

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE([M said:
artin @ Jul 8 2007, 12:17 AM)]Have IRC? Then head over to #psp-hacks on irc.dashhacks.com

There's ALWAYS someone there and they'll help you downgrade and upgrade to any version without any trouble (plus they have links to special programs that'll help you install them i.e. Easy Installers)

Now I have a question, when you guys say a copy of LCS or Lumines for those later firmware versions, does it have to be an actual physical UMD or can it be an ISO?

It has to be a physical UMD. No official firmware can load ISO's and if it could then it would mean that you already had kernel access so wouldn't be attempting a downgrade in the first place.

jimmy j

Awesome for hire.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
1. update psp to fw 3.50
2. get the downgrader files + 1.50 eboot and put them in the correct folders on the memorystick.
3. double check that all files are in the right folders on your memorystick.
4. boot lumines, press start when the menu appears and you will be booted back to the xmb.
5. check the system settings and it should say: 3.50 HEN
6. now goto game --> memorystick and start the downgrader.
7. press x to confirm and wait till its done, the psp will reboot and you're at 1.50
8. now install custom firmware 3.40oe-a and start playing
biggrin.gif

Excellent!
smile.gif

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

nycwii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you are going to downgrade make sure its a lumines original or greatist hits.

the + platinum, and 2 versions will not work. also since the downgrader has come out the difficulty of finding one of these originals have increase 10 fold. i would reccomend picking 1 up asap

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    He is now fishy.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sak is a fishy pineapple
    Have a good night everyone.
    i'm getting sleepy.
    So much drinking from @K3Nv2
    Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram plebs lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    they be like which lite firefox exe pls
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Wut.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    GM all
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    butt
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    douche
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Touché.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Push it :creep:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Talk about propaganda.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Illinois is working to ban toxic food additives that have been banned for decades in other countries; additives that can be replaced and all those countries still have Skittles and Mountain Dew. Title of the piece: GUBMINT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR CANDY
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Gee, I wonder if the author is biased?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Sounds and smells like bullshit. They don't give you cancer, and California should know that. I don't get why they stick labels that say "may or may not cause reproductive harm or cancer".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Arsenic doesn't give you cancer either.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    California has already banned those additives BTW.
    Veho @ Veho: California has already banned those additives BTW.