Hacking Downgraded using Decrypt9 and can't boot DS games. Any way to fix it?

Marmotta

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So, I didn't backup my original NAND (or I did, but everything initially seemed fine so I deleted it at some point) and downgraded my console by booting Decrypt9 from Soundhax and running 9.2.0 ctrtransfer. Everything appeared to work, but it won't boot DS games. I've repeated this on another console (for which I did create a backup NAND) and it happens every time.

Of course I knew installing CFW would stop DS games from booting, but I didn't know downgrading would. I'm not too bothered about it, but I need to sell the console and obviously it would be nice for the buyer if there was any way to get DS emulation working again. Any ideas how or if it's impossible?

adrifcastr

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
without a backup you are screwed. why the heck would you ever skip/delete a nand backup? thats actually the most important thing.
and why the heck would you downgrade?
the only thing that could might work is plailects troubleshooting guide

Marmotta

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm well aware that I should keep my NAND backups, I just don't happen to have it for this one, so moaning about it isn't going to help anyone.

I've looked at the troubleshooting section of the guide, but the issue is that it seems to be aimed at restoring it on consoles running A9LH, whereas I'm trying to have it stock. I did try installing the .cia files with NASA via browserhax to see if there was any chance that might work, but unfortunately not.

Edit: I did just try installing the .cia files on a N3DS XL running A9LH that wasn't playing DS games and it worked great on that.

Last edited by Marmotta,

Marmotta

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Everything I've found about clean TWL firm presumes that I'm running Luma, which I'm not. I could, obviously, but I'm trying to get the console back to stock if at all possible.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Everything I've found about clean TWL firm presumes that I'm running Luma, which I'm not. I could, obviously, but I'm trying to get the console back to stock if at all possible.
Well, the easiest then would be to uninstall AH9L and do a recovery restore.

Marmotta

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not running A9HL either. I mentioned it in my first post, but essentially imagine I'd followed the guide, but instead of installing 2.1.0 ctrtransfer, I installed 9.2.0, so no Luma, no HBL, no A9HL, nothing.

The console seems to run fine, NNID and eShop (after updating) are fine, but it won't boot DS games. Updating via the settings menu or via a recovery restore will update the console to 11.3.0, but it still will not boot DS games :(

Last edited by Marmotta,

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not running A9HL either. I mentioned it in my first post, but essentially imagine I'd followed the guide, but instead of installing 2.1.0 ctrtransfer, I installed 9.2.0, so no Luma, no HBL, no A9HL, nothing.

The console seems to run fine, NNID and eShop (after updating) are fine, but it won't boot DS games. Updating via the settings menu or via a recovery restore will update the console to 11.3.0, but it still will not boot DS games :(
Well soundhax works on 9.0-11.3 so you still have HomeBrew, not that it matters since you can't use Decrypt9 in Homebrew after 9.2. Now that you've updated you ruined your chances of trying to fix it yourself since you can no longer leave 11.3. You're stuck. No reason to offer troubleshooting when it would all be "If you had done this....." Also I'd like to ask, are they not being recognized, or are they not booting?

Marmotta

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I updated on another console I do have the original NAND for, so I can just flash it back whenever, just trying to replicate the same thing before I try anything on the console for which I don't have the NAND (that's how I know normal update vs. recovery restore makes no difference). It will recognise the game and show the cart artwork, but when I attempt to boot them it'll normally display a black screen with the "An error has occurred. Hold down the power button to turn off the power" message on the bottom screen.

Last edited by Marmotta,

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, you're doing this as a testing scenario on another 3DS that does have hacks or what? It's going to be pretty hard to replicate since it seems like a TWLfirm partition error, which can become corrupted when you mess with system titles. My guess is something happened to it during all your testing, I don't see the CTRNAND transfer causing a problem since it doesn't even touch the TWL partition. I can say that your issue is not unusual but uncommon as DS games load perfectly fine on 11.3 with or without CFW and a good, unmodified TWL.

If you have hacks on the DS that can't load DS games, download 3DNUS and then download the TWLpartition cia for your region and install a clean one. Though like I said, I don't see how anything can help you since you can't do any of this from a stock 11.3. There is no point testing this on another 3DS to replicate then fix since you don't have arm9/11 access on your DS that won't load DS games to fix it anyway.

Marmotta

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nothing's on 11.3.0. As I've said a few times, there's no custom firmware running. When I did play around with different types of CFW and firmware versions to try and solve the issue, I restored the console back to the original NAND afterwards with a hardmod. It's something I've managed to replicate multiple times on the test console, by doing exactly the same procedure with the same outcome.

How do I go about applying TWL fixes? From what I've seen on the guide troubleshooting section and attempted so far, they're .cia files that cease to work when the SD card is removed or can they be installed on CTRNAND?

Marmotta

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I see. Although still having issues. As I said before, I did install them on the latest version of FBI and they worked, but were definitely linked to the SD card, as it stopped working as soon as I removed it. So this time I installed A9LH and a 9.2.0 ctrtransfer, but used an older version of FBI to make sure they were installing to the NAND, but now I get an error message when I try to install TWL_FIRM and the console shuts down when I try to play a DS game. I'm going to try again from scratch tomorrow, as it's 4:30 in the morning here now.

Marmotta

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
OK, so I'm at the point where I've definitely got the files installed to the NAND when running 9.2.0 on A9LH, but I'm having some issues uninstalling it - SafeA9LHInstaller isn't booting for some reason and I can't seem to find any troubleshooting stuff on it post-install and restoring to the original downgraded 9.2.0 in Decrypt9 obviously basically resets the original issue. Is there any why of disabling FIRM write protection and just updating from the CFW 9.2.0 using a cart or system update?

el_gonz87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, so I'm at the point where I've definitely got the files installed to the NAND when running 9.2.0 on A9LH, but I'm having some issues uninstalling it - SafeA9LHInstaller isn't booting for some reason and I can't seem to find any troubleshooting stuff on it post-install and restoring to the original downgraded 9.2.0 in Decrypt9 obviously basically resets the original issue. Is there any why of disabling FIRM write protection and just updating from the CFW 9.2.0 using a cart or system update?

Are you chainloading the safea9lhinstaller? Please describe what happens so we can help.

Reactions: Marmotta

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...