Downgraded N3DS XL, unable to launch homebrew

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Puppy_Washer, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Puppy_Washer
    OP

Puppy_Washer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 18, 2009
    Sydney
    So, I followed a guide on how to downgrade the N3DS XL, and it worked fine. However, once the downgrade finished, it rebooted with an "error has occurred" message. I restarted the console, and it simply would not boot to sysNAND, just a black screen. Upon taking out the microSD, the console successfully booted to sysNAND. I checked, and the console is on 9.2.0.

I tried using the MicroSD again, no dice, it wouldn't go to sysNAND. So, I reformatted it. Now it works again with the SD.

However, no homebrew will launch now. Every homebrew launched will result in a black screen, requiring a reboot. I've tried formatting the system, formatting the SD again, downloading fresh files, mostly everything I can think of.

Any ideas?
    Cheers.

2. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    You most likely have an incomplete downgrade. I don't know of any other solution other than updating and redowngrading again. Someone might come along with something better.

3. guitarheroknight

guitarheroknight 1.6180339887

Nov 9, 2014
    Croatia
    Grand Line
    What method are you using to launch homebrew?

4. Puppy_Washer
    OP

Jul 18, 2009
    Sydney
    Browserhax.

I've actually found something interesting. After doing a system format and running browserhax, the first application that I run will successfully boot, without fail. However, all subsequent applications will always return a black screen (until the next system format).

I attempted to get into sysUpdater, which worked, but the downgrade threw an invalid cia error (or something similar, I wasn't sure, but downgrading doesn't seem to work).

5. guitarheroknight

guitarheroknight 1.6180339887

Nov 9, 2014
    Croatia
    Grand Line

Ia had something similar happen to me yesterday while downgrading my n3DS. You should use safesysupdater and start the downgrade process once again, I had only one cia that wasnt installed correctly and after i hit downgrade again everything went smooth in like 5 seconds.

6. Puppy_Washer
    OP

Jul 18, 2009
    Sydney
    Just tried that. It locked up at "#7 : Clean memory...".
    I'm getting the vibe that no application launched will actually get very far.

But I appreciate any suggestions! It was worth a shot.

7. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    Like I said, you'll have to update then redowngrade.

8. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    memchunkhax2 is just buggy, it should work eventually if you keep trying.

9. stunner2002

stunner2002 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 9, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Exactly same happened to me. Install menuhax via browserhax. Start HBL via menuhax and launch SafeSysUpdater and run the 9.2 downgrade once again. For me it installed one more cia file and I was able to launch the (for the method I used) needed EmuNAND9.
    SafeSysUpdater only worked wtih menuhax for me. Make sure to use the most current version. If you copied the cia files from a Mac make sure to run dot_clean once on your SD Card over Terminal. (even thou should be patched in current sysupdater. Safety first!)

Last edited by stunner2002, Mar 16, 2016
  10. JFizDaWiz

JFizDaWiz Member

Newcomer
    Jun 6, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    same thing happened to me tonight. popped in a game I had (chibi-robo) updated to 9.9, downgraded again and good to go. took me 5 hours to downgrade this one because I didn't realize for the first 3 hours why nothing would load after the (butchered) downgrade