Hacking Question Downgrade Question

NazoXIII

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently upgraded to 7.0.x from 6.2.0 (For Atmos/SXOS) and I was a little to excited to get back to retroarch that It slipped my mind to make a clean 7.0.1 Nand backup, I have my 6.2.0 backup on hand though so my question is: could I restore my 6.2.0 nand, update to 7.0.1 via the official OTA update method or Choi, and then make a new clean 7.0.1 nand dump or am I screwed and damned to a life of awaiting my inevitable banning?

I know that if I restore an older nand I'd have to boot into OFW via the RCM bootloader, I was hoping that wouldn't be an issue since I wasn't planning on staying on 6.2.0 and was just going to use it as a starting point for a clean 7.0.x nand backup, but that's making me a little nervous, would Nintendo be able to see that I now have 9 fuses burned while I'm attempting to update?

Edit: I'm... feeling really stupid right now, so as it turns out I DO actually have a 7.0.1 nand backup, I didn't know it was because the backup folder had its directory name obfuscated for whatever reason, but after dumping my BIS keys and running FVI I can confirm that its an 7.0.1 (exFat) nand dump. I'm gonna take better care to not be that careless in the future, thanks for all the answers folks.

Last edited by NazoXIII,

JBMario

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
How did you update to 6.2.0 to 7.0.1? Via Nintendo’s servers or with ChoiDujourX? If it’s the latter, then you can restore your 6.2.0 backup with Hekate. You won’t have problems since you didn’t burn new fuses.

Regarding the backup of 7.0.1, what you wrote is fine. Although, if you update with ChoiDujourX and then make a backup of 7.0.1, it will not be totally “clean” since ChoiDujourX requires a CFW.

NazoXIII

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How did you update to 6.2.0 to 7.0.1? Via Nintendo’s servers or with ChoiDujourX? If it’s the latter, then you can restore your 6.2.0 backup with Hekate. You won’t have problems since you didn’t burn new fuses.

Regarding the backup of 7.0.1, what you wrote is fine. Although, if you update with ChoiDujourX and then make a backup of 7.0.1, it will not be totally “clean” since ChoiDujourX requires a CFW.

I updated through the system settings.

NazoXIII

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What? What does that even mean, wait for a response before I even started the thread? That doesn't make any sense.

NazoXIII

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He mean that you should had asks before updating, you pretty much jump the gun.
Now that part I can understand, but "should've waited for a response" to me, kind of implied that I asked and then jumped the gun, but I already acknowledged that I was overzealous and that the damage was already done but was curious about downgrading to a clean nand backup and then updating back to 7.0.1 again from the system settings.

From the sounds of things that's not an option, I guess that's cool, thanks for the help regardless.

Last edited by NazoXIII,

Le_Zouave

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
That he updated with ChoiDuJourNX or from system settings don't really matter. What is important is that if you launch the update from atmosphere and if you booted on OFW at least once. If you never booted without atmosphere (like having autorcm), then your fuses are not burnt. ChoiDuJourNX simply offer more option about updating/downgrading, while the system upgrade only take the lattest FW.
Even if it's burnt, when downgraded, it should boot in CFW like atmosphere (but you have to do a data wipe).

NazoXIII

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That he updated with ChoiDuJourNX or from system settings don't really matter. What is important is that if you launch the update from atmosphere and if you booted on OFW at least once. If you never booted without atmosphere (like having autorcm), then your fuses are not burnt. ChoiDuJourNX simply offer more option about updating/downgrading, while the system upgrade only take the lattest FW.
Even if it's burnt, when downgraded, it should boot in CFW like atmosphere (but you have to do a data wipe).

My fuses are definitely burned, I checked in Hekate, I went from 8 to 9, that's the thing that has me leery.

It's no huge deal to boot into a lower OFW even with blown fuses, I could just use Hekate or SX Loader since they bypass the fuse check at launch (I don't really mind having to do the one time since I plan on going back up to 7.0.x anyways), but my thing is I don't know if Nintendo would he able to see that I have 9 fuses burned on 6.2.0 when I attempted to upgrade from the sys menu. I feel like that's a ban waiting to happen.

I was really banking on a system update that way my nand would remain clean for a fresh dump, but I have no idea if there's any kind of telemetry or magic involved for fuses that would flag me for a ban. I've never actually used Choi before, could I use that offline on my clean nand and still have it considered clean? I doubt it but I feel I should ask.

Last edited by NazoXIII,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram plebs lol